Best DAW for Sound Design

How to make that sound...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

whyterabbyt wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:39 pm
kosmios wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:57 pm
whyterabbyt wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:22 pm If you want a job doing sound design in the film/broadcast/games industry, (which Im taking to be the case from your other post) and you're not actually applying for the job of being the person in charge of deciding what your company buys, then the defacto industry standard is ProTools.

If you do get to be in charge, you can use what the hell you want. Until that point, expect to use PT.
He's not a pro, nor about to become one.
Just like 99.99% of the other people here, then. That changes nothing about my advice, which will also be relevant to anyone with the same question in a similar context. Whether they're about to become pro or not.
Just look at his post history. Going around asking stupid questions.
Yeah, beginners often do. But I'll give the advice I consider suitable, thanks, and your assessment of their capabilities or history isn't going to be a factor in that.
Oh, you're such a waste of hot air!

Lutin mutin wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:38 pm Sorry guys, but I don't understand the initial question...
If you are taking about "sound design", you are talking about sound : creating a particular sound, modifying an existing sound, etc... and as far as I know, to create or modulate or destroy or... a sound, you need sound-creative instruments (VSTi), effects (VST) or modulators (LFOs, Enveloppes, MSED,...).
As far as I know, a DAW must have integrated VSTi and VST in his soft, but a DAW is most like a tape machine, or like a sequencer, and a DAW don't create sounds, but sure, it can mix sounds... mixing sounds in a DAW is what you consider as sound-creation ?
"Sound design" as a description of a job or job title existed before there were plugins or DAWs. In the industry it was coined (the film industry), it was created, in 1969, to mean something quite specific, and its origin derived from the notion of a production designer. It meant something a bit more than making individual sounds, and it wasn't about creating sounds from scratch.
Sound design, as per the original specific meaning of the term, was going on for a good few years before there was much more than mixing and tape.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

I use MetaSynth. Its mac-only and I find it a very creative environment!
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

kosmios wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:50 pm Oh, you're such a waste of hot air!
You're not really inspiring anyone to think you've got much to contribute here. Toddle off, now...
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

PFMusic wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:11 pm What is the best DAW for Sound Design in peoples experience
dude are you sure not high ??

ok enough of the jokes
just pick up any daw anyone of them is a viable sound design playground
Win 10 x64 with specs enough to run DAW without bouncing any track
KZ IEM,32-bit 384Khz dac running at 32bit 48Khz
mainly use REAPER, MTotalbundle, Unfiltered Audio TRIAD and LION, NI classic collection,......... ETC

it depends on what are you doing SD for...

I'll chime in and say, "the one you use". Learn in, break it & learn some more. Then and only then if it doesn't meet your needs move on to another one.
Reaper is a good a place as any to start and I would think it will take you a long ways.
MisterUnix
Doesn't matter what flavor as long as its not Solaris!

Use whatever you're getting paid to use. Some studios can be touchy about such peccadillos.
Wait... loot _then_ burn? D'oh!

Jafo wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:52 am Some studios can be touchy about such peccadillos.
While at the same time embracing armadillos and bocadillos :wink: sorry, couldn't resist :hihi:

It really cracks down to the type of sound design and in which enviroment. Like if you do (for example) synth patches only, the DAW basicly doesn`t matter. Except maybe for demo track creation.

Otherwise, in terms of samples - also here, really depends on the stleys/genres. If more field recording or recordings in general, a DAW with good sample editing function would be best, included with a high stack of on board plugins to process the material. If it`s more let`s say EDM styles, probably Ableton would be the best, with the more creative workflow.
Also if you use much modular hardware, since Ableton v10 i would prefer this as best choice in terms of DAW through their new features of connecting eurorack gear into DAW enviroment.

telecode wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:18 pm why do you need a DAW for sound design though? dont you just need a fancy stand alone VST synth?
A lot of sound design can be to do with sampling and mixer effects, modulations, automations etc.
Some people don’t even use synthesizers in sound design

PFMusic wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:11 pm What is the best DAW for Sound Design in peoples experience
For me Reason, but any DAW can do the job.

For me I use FL Studio, I bought the $199 edition and Sytrus is one of the best VSTs I’ve used.
Many paid and free VSTs as well as Kontakt libraries. As well as HW synths/drum machine and acoustic instruments.

My DAW is the best for sound design. It is so good that it almost designs sound itself.

the mind.

Return to “Sound Design”