Best DAW for Sound Design

How to make that sound...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What is the best DAW for Sound Design in peoples experience

Any of them.
Signatures are so early 2000s.

PFMusic wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:11 pm What is the best DAW for Sound Design in peoples experience
If you mean audio editor (to me, a DAW is a MIDI/audio sequencer, like Cubase or REAPER) it depends on what kind of sound design you want to do. Maybe you could clarify...
Fernando (FMR)

Beside your Plugins, first choice IMO, I used Live with M4L extensively (check out the new "Signal" by Surreal Machine) but Bitwig is now my main music canvas without a single regret.
Pigments - Diva - Tal U-No-LX - Tal Sampler

fmr wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:16 pm
PFMusic wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:11 pm What is the best DAW for Sound Design in peoples experience
If you mean audio editor (to me, a DAW is a MIDI/audio sequencer, like Cubase or REAPER) it depends on what kind of sound design you want to do. Maybe you could clarify...
I’ve been doing Sound Design for a game trailer as some practice and I’m using REAPER. I was just wondering what people’s opinion was on what the best DAW was for Sound designing

If you want a job doing sound design in the film/broadcast/games industry, (which Im taking to be the case from your other post) and you're not actually applying for the job of being the person in charge of deciding what your company buys, then the defacto industry standard is ProTools.

If you do get to be in charge, you can use what the hell you want. Until that point, expect to use PT.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

A few thoughts on REAPER for this purpose:
  • a flexible multichannel routing and send/receive system is handy for odd chains and parallel pathways. Can even do feedback if you're brave.
  • the media explorer allows some tagging, searching and sorting of samples... but it's not super polished. A dedicated sample browser would probably be worthwhile.
  • fairly happy running old and new plugins; can bridge 32-bit synthedit stuff (on Windows or WINE) while also loading 64-bit VST3s in same session. Could be useful for those sampling weird old freeware...
  • customisable UI lets you push irrelevant features out of the way
Basically all the things that make it different from Logic!

I would imagine that while a DAW is useful, a dedicated audio editor (or DAW with a really good one built-in) is an important part of a fast sound-design workflow. The standard industry option would be Audition, I think?

I think Mulab would shine here. If you know your way around synth architecture it has a lot of inspirational options. The samplers are OK. I understand they will be getting time stretching very soon.
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

Sound Design is a very broad term. I am designing work for an art gallery tour at the moment. Pretty much all of the sound is derived from field recordings I made on site or nearby the gallery. I am using Izotope RX7 and Spectralayers for the initial trimming, segmenting and processing. That material will go in to Reaper for assembly, further processing and mixdown.

Someone mentioned Audition - an excellent tool but my copy will no longer work on my machine without switching to a very expensive subscription - I've got rid of all Adobe products now they annoy me so much as a company. But if you have Audition or can get it cheap then go for it.
what you don't know only makes you stronger

Bidule and/or REAPER.

If you are going to be applying for a job, then you should probably include Pro Tools on your resume. Otherwise, anything else should work fine.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

I would go for Bitwig Studio.

It is the most modular DAW and with the in built modular Grid coming soon with v3 you will have endless possibilities for Sound Design.

why do you need a DAW for sound design though? dont you just need a fancy stand alone VST synth?
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

telecode wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:18 pm why do you need a DAW for sound design though? dont you just need a fancy stand alone VST synth?
I wonder too.

Other than that, Bitwig seems to allow for a lot of things concerning modulation and routing of VSTi's. Againg though, you do sound design in the soft synths (or effects), not in the DAW.

telecode wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:18 pm why do you need a DAW for sound design though? dont you just need a fancy stand alone VST synth?
Yes, you can!

But for example, the integrated instrument and drum racks in Ableton Live open up some interesting creative possibilities within the context of a DAW.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

Return to “Sound Design”