Morten Granau screech-sweep

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

A good day to you all and welcome to another "How do I make this sound" thread.
I have a question about one specific patch Morten Granau uses repeatedly in his songs.

This sound right here. Starts at 1:55.
https://youtu.be/0q3ve6ZnxXE?t=111

Also here, starts at 3:07. Appears multiple times throughout the song.
https://youtu.be/TrsAaX1u4HU?t=182
I hear some filtered distortion, but that's about all I can guess from that.
Anybody knows how to achieve such a sound?

Thanks in Advance,
H.

You are right. It's in the distortion. And I like and use the principle you here here a lot. It really shines on these sort of "clean" leads (and pads). Like in your first example.

The ATB Extasy one is a (filtered) square through a (filtered) "soft" distortion/waveshaper. Maybe (combined) with drive. Hard driving will also lead to distortion toward a mor square shaped waveform/signal. It's a fairly "soft" algorithm since there's not much "noise" content. I mean it's not distorted beyond recognition....but just al little bit.

And indeed, the Oxia - Domino is the same principle, just more filtered / less rich in high frequencies.

There are many many variables in distortion/waveshaping/drive so I can't exactly tell you which algorithm/setting/machine/plugin is useds here.

Thanks for the tips. Speaking of the ATB one, I'm pretty sure there's some volume and panning LFO before the distortion as well.

hajdulak wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:59 am Thanks for the tips. Speaking of the ATB one, I'm pretty sure there's some volume and panning LFO before the distortion as well.
Yep. The signal is ideed panned (probably by an LFO, not a Ping Pong delay) before or after the distortion.

You can also hear that the distortion gives this characteristic "wavering effect" when the pitch of the signal changes. That's usually caused by the decay of the first note interfering the second (following) note. You sort of generally get that effect when two (or more) notes are sent into the distortion at the same time.

You could try the (last) free version of the excellent (and simple) Camel Crusher.
It's available at various sources (32 bit and 64 bit).

It's now a commercial product, bought by Apple, early 2015. Not sure what the actual last free version is....

Return to “Sound Design”