someone please explain what is FM modulation for a OSC ?

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm not sure to understand 100 % ,i know some stuff from electricity , ex: f=1/t i understand how it does
but i don't understand fm mod , what it does to the waveform and why do it ?
pictures with/ and explanation are welcome ;)
Thx.

it is the same as using an lfo to modulate frequency, only at a faster rate.
it's good for creating those fm bell tones n suchlike

easiest way to see how it works it to modulate a sine with another Low Frequency sine.
then gradually increase intensity and raise the frequency while looking at SPAN by Voxengo
https://www.voxengo.com/product/span/ (FREE)

then see what happens when you change the modulator to a triangle, square, saw, custom wave or wavetable.
then modulating the modulator by volume or other osc's etc etc etc

This might not be the answer you're looking for but let me know if I can help in any other way
CHOOSX Remakes on my Youtube Channel

Well, basically it's frequency modulation. However, it can lead to quite interesting and unexpected results. Everything is explained in this book: http://www.burnkit2600.com/manuals/fm_t ... ations.pdf
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Thx guy it seems i have understand correctly since the beggining , but to be sure i will try with the voxengo to see what s happens.but why add a fm know instead a full lfo with a sync function ? A way more easy to control and obtain the sound we want !

hivkorn wrote:Thx guy it seems i have understand correctly since the beggining , but to be sure i will try with the voxengo to see what s happens.but why add a fm know instead a full lfo with a sync function ? A way more easy to control and obtain the sound we want !
I think you’re maybe confusing Frequency Modulation with what a DX7 does, which is actually Phase Modulation. They’re different. They’re both different then oscillator sync.

For a long time, I avoided DX style FM because I thought it was too complex. It’s actually not that complicated, but there’s a lot of options to explore. My advice is to look for a simple FM synth. I used FM4 for the iOS. When you can see how each envelope is set up next to other envelopes, it’s easier to get what’s going on.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

When you re talking of phase modulation you re talking about the same phase of electricity rules ?

vurt wrote:it is the same as using an lfo to modulate frequency, only at a faster rate.
Lfo - Single modulator (1 wave). In fm synthesis, not only sinus (1 harmonic, similar to LFO) can participate, but also complex types of waves - Pulse, triangle .... In these wave forms there are several harmonics. What gives a special timbre to the sound of FM.
:phones:

OllyAudio wrote:
vurt wrote:it is the same as using an lfo to modulate frequency, only at a faster rate.
Lfo - Single modulator (1 wave). In fm synthesis, not only sinus (1 harmonic, similar to LFO) can participate, but also complex types of waves - Pulse, triangle .... In these wave forms there are several harmonics. What gives a special timbre to the sound of FM.
indeed, any oscillator shape can be used, or even for more fun, two (or more) different waves being used in combinations :D

vurt wrote:
indeed, any oscillator shape can be used, or even for more fun, two (or more) different waves being used in combinations :D

When realistic metal cymbals are created, they use a pulse wave as a modulator. The pulse wave is modulated by another oscillator (pulse, triangle) This causes very bright harmonics in large numbers. Such harmonics give the sound metallic shades. Then put BP - filter (HP filter) and get metal percussion. Next - effects.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Lq8fc ... Y95KPV88Wk

This is an example of how metal percussion is made using FM synthesis. I used a pulse wave to modulate the sawtooth. tuned filter envelopes and amplitudes. I added a BP filter and a bit of white noise for sparkling. Of the additional effects - Ambient reverb, equalizer and echo. I've got realistic Trip-Hop hats.

OllyAudio wrote:Trip-Hop hats.

:ud:

DJ Warmonger wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:03 pm Well, basically it's frequency modulation. However, it can lead to quite interesting and unexpected results. Everything is explained in this book: http://www.burnkit2600.com/manuals/fm_t ... ations.pdf
I second the motion on this book. I first got it when it was originally published back in the 80's. It was written to explain the then new Yamaha DX7's FM structure for patch creation.

hivkorn wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:40 am I'm not sure to understand 100 % ,i know some stuff from electricity , ex: f=1/t i understand how it does
but i don't understand fm mod , what it does to the waveform and why do it ?
pictures with/ and explanation are welcome ;)
Thx.
Download VCVRack (https://vcvrack.com), just the basic package, install and run, right click and load 2 VCO-1s, a Scope and an Audio module and patch as below. Note that the VCO-1s are switched to 'digital'.

Play with the frequency knobs and watch the scope. On the left is the modulator, on the right the carrier. Try patching the other waveforms and seeing what it looks and sounds like. Try the square and saw waves on the carrier VCO-1, switched to 'Analog', at high frequencies and listen to the (unavoidable) aliasing.

HTH
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Sound Design”