Why sound design

How to make that sound...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

VELLTONE MUSIC wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:20 pm
Other people go out and have fun,you not .....
Actually, I do most of my programming when I'm on my bike.....

1/ it is faster to make a sound than to browse tons of presets to find it.

Lotuzia wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:52 pm It probably began with looking to create some instruments that you could not find, so you had to create your own. Wich was btw basic culture in ancient synthesizers. Then, once this is done, the will to allow to opportunity to other musicians to play instruments that they can't find as well. And the cycle is done. Very simple actually.
By the way that's exactly how i start - there was no decent fat bass in a free vst world where i was 5-6 years ago and wonder why my compositions permanently sucks,bass section was always tragedy and when i first did cool fat bass with Tone2 Firebird i felt like Columbus,so i decide that i have to explore what and how i did it hihihihi espesially first step when i understand how to use lfo and adsr it was epic feeling - then start to analyze other guys presets and to discover how to make something nice and useful,then create my own taste and definition of shaping sonic curves,it is same like drawing something beautiful :)subtractive synthesis is huge passion cheerz brotherz :)

PatchAdamz wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:26 pm
Lotuzia wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:52 pm It probably began with looking to create some instruments that you could not find....
No, I was taken by Aliens.
They all looked exactly like Bob Moog.
Any idea why they sent you back in our world ?
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

drdriller wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:16 pm 1/ it is faster to make a sound than to browse tons of presets to find it.
a/ Not really if you have a multicriteria search engine embedded in the synth (like Omnisphere, NI or Xils-Lab)
b/ Questionable if you're looking for more than very simple generic presets. For complex ( in creation, not in playing them) and sophisticated presets, it's ime always faster to benefit form someone else talent than to recreate it and reinvent the wheel.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

drdriller wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:16 pm 1/ it is faster to make a sound than to browse tons of presets to find it.
and nothing kills your mood like auditioning through presets, the sound designer adding 20 variations of the same sound.

theres a few great sound designers selling/sharing their patches for sure.
just few and far between.
mostly bland, same sounds for every synth.
have a new idea once in a while...

Lotuzia wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:08 am
Lotuzia wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:52 pm It probably began with looking to create some instruments that you could not find....
They sent me back?

^ :lol: What was the world you originally came from like?
:hyper: M O N O S Y N T H S F O R E V E R :hyper:

PatchAdamz wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:34 pm
Lotuzia wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:08 am
They sent me back?
Yeah... they found out you were a KVRer...
Aliens are smart for sure :lol:

vurt wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:02 am
and nothing kills your mood like auditioning through presets, the sound designer adding 20 variations of the same sound.

theres a few great sound designers selling/sharing their patches for sure.
just few and far between.
mostly bland, same sounds for every synth.
have a new idea once in a while...
I'm regularly insulted by trolls like this one,man you are really fsj - the only thing i am not is copy paste player hahaha(not gonna call myself designer if just wanna use somebody else work)
how can you be so poisoned with hate or jealousy...
If somebody like please download my free stuff and decide for yourself is my work stereotype or original,cuz i am really hard working person and claim NOT ONLY originality but mostly usefulness ,will accept any positive criticism about ordering,naming or making variations(could explain why i do them, if somebody ask me friendly and what is the benefit),but such statement speaks for low life person,intelligence or else.
Total drama with these guys hahaha.Cheerz :)
p.p: It wasn't my attention to advertise my stuff here,but have to defend my brand,especially in lack of new ideas department hah :
https://velltone.wixsite.com/velltone

:shrug:
i didn't even know you did sound design/patch banks, so i wasnt talking about you.
it was a general comment on the fact that there are many people selling and sharing, that the signal to noise ratio is limited.

that you took it personally, is on you.

Somehow a well meant inquiry about people's motivation for doing sound design has descended into dark corners....straying far away fro the original question: "Why sound design".

Personally I'm just intruiged by the effect (perception of) of sound on emotion and emotion on (perception of) sound. In short I like to hear and create sounds I like....

Also, I'm intruiged by the apparent paradox that "liking" is all about "perception", but sounds I like have a lot of "exact" (technical, scientific) elements to it.

I guess it's like any other subjective "art". Like painting. Some people just enjoy looking at paintings. Others wonder how it's made. Others even go so far as to start painting for themselves. And maybe they'll start by "painting by numbers". Or by studying and/or trying to copy other peoples work/style. Or retouch existing works. Some hope to eventually develope the skills to actually produce their own beauty.

Cooking is also not just about the kitchen. Or the ingredients. Also, what you crave now may be way different tomorrow.

But back to sound. If you want to be able to (re)create sounds you like, you will need to not only find out what tools are useful. But also how to use and combine them to get the results you like.

If you're happy with samples and/or presets, all the better. It will save you an enormous investment in acquiring the knowledge and experience needed to create or adapt sounds using a multitude of tools and techniques.

But for those who want to delve deeper, a sheer unlimited world of possibilities will open up. And yes, that can mean you need no or less "presets" or "samples", since you can easier create or adapt sounds to your liking.

Still discovering many new things after several decades of exploration.

vurt wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:00 pm :shrug:
i didn't even know you did sound design/patch banks, so i wasnt talking about you.
it was a general comment on the fact that there are many people selling and sharing, that the signal to noise ratio is limited.

ok thanks for clarification,but your statement and tone is insulting for all honest hard working designers(me too)and their motivation,sorry...that you consider all this hard work and sacrifices do not worth a nice word...

VELLTONE MUSIC wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:14 pm
vurt wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:00 pm :shrug:

ok thanks for clarification,but your statement and tone is insulting for all honest hard working designers(me too)and their motivation,sorry...that you consider all this hard work and sacrifices do not worth a nice word...
i made two statements, one saying there are some great sound designers. the other saying that is not always the case.

why are you concentrating on the negative?

plus it was in the context of agreeing with a previous poster on why i choose to do my own sound design.

just meaning given the amount of sound designers and patches for any given synth, it's probably quicker for me to do it myself.

in fact, little tip for you.
next time someone makes both a negative and positive statement about something, quote the positive and say thanks :)
shows confidence in your work.

rather than assume they're having a pop at you.

Return to “Sound Design”