For all you FM lovers out there...

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
VOPM

I put in a plea at the DSP subforum so anyone with some interest may take a look at the source code. I think this plugin is like Beijing, big and beautiful but full of smog. This plugins code could really use some cleaning up, especially the behavior of the GUI.

If you agree then take a moment to share your enthusiasm so perhaps someone may breathe some new life into VOPM, which sadly is the only vsti which can load OPM patches.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=337389
miedex

Oh man :shock: ! Thanks bro! this is truly super duper awesomely sweet! Big up man!

Downloadin now, been wanting to get these sounds but couldn't be arsed to search lol :D

Yeah, again, I really wish somebody who can code would get in touch with "Sam", the author, and see if he'll give up the source code so that VOPM can be resurrected/modified/turned into the ultimate old school FM synth. The GUI is still a bit fiddly, and could indeed look prettier and make more sense. But, it is capable of sounding really powerful, gritty, and tough, which is half the battle right there. Can still alias in certain circumstances... imagine a totally alias-free mode, massive unison (with per-part manipulation capability, ala DUNE)... the list could go on.

I'm glad someone figured out the M.U.S.H.A. thing. A few games would crash the tools I was using, so I had to skip them. If anybody wants to take the time to complete the collection and upload it again, feel free! Or, just send me a .zip file, and I'll put it back up.

I'm just very glad we have some basis from which start--these classic Genesis sounds, some of them, are just too awesome to be ignored by the larger music-making community. My dream for all this is to have FM synths available that not only load .opm files, but have addressed any possible issues with sound quality and dynamics such that more producers will begin to incorporate these timbres into modern electronic music. I think they're like the missing ingredient, currently. Tons and tons and tons of VA, but very little FM, and only a sprinkling of Additive now that Alchemy's been out for a while now.
"I don't need a signature, do I?"

DrW,

I just skimmed quickly through source for VOPM. First thing, "Sam" wrote on his page "don't use for business" so I guess it's ok to make open source VOPM V2.0 or even freeware project.

Regarding sound, it's obvious "Sam" paid lot of attention to details. For operators it's using look-up table without interpolation, and all over the code you can see leftovers from tweaking bit depth for envelopes, pitch and stuff, and (it seems, I would have to double check that) it's doing internal processing at 60KHz (as you should, old Yamaha FM chips worked at that sampling frequency). That's the reason it sounds authentic (and much better than any other FM VSTi IMHO). Yamaha had limited resources on their chips back then so you have low resolution oscilators, envelopes and such. So "making it better" would ruin it's sound. We already have FM8, but we don't have decent emu' of actuall Yamaha FM beside this one. I would personaly add two more operators and DX7 algos, and that's it.

I would really like to make propper version, but I have less than zero time for such endeavour in next half a year at least. If some developer choose to make V2.0, just make sure he/she doesn't try to "improve" the sound.

Various Artists — SOUNDSHOCK: FM FUNK MADDNESS!!
This is FM FUNK MADDNESS!! — an album of songs by 18 FM synth enthusiasts from all over the world, personally selected by zinger (founder and maintainer of soundshock.se).

Bringing the combination of frequency modulated tones and catchy, funky grooves blended with a portion of jazz and idm, we cordially invite you to join us on a fantastic journey to a world where slap rumble drives the beating of your heart.
http://ubiktune.org/releases/ubi020-var ... k-maddness

everyone needs to hear this album, sega-esque music is still living on. a few of the tracks were made with VOPM. you can stream/download it for free right from the page. I do find it interesting that one of the best tracks was made with Thor. Perhaps that's because what boswell255 mentioned, that the genesis also had a subtractive synth in it as well

Still adding to that FM8 library. Here is another sample of the kinds of timbres you can get:

http://soundcloud.com/lazygecko/fmdemo

Well, sure, the sampling rate should remain untouched, but I've noticed other unpleasant, noisy nastiness when messing with VOPM that I know shouldn't be there. That could possibly be cleaned up while retaining a totally authentic sound. I seriously love the way VOPM sounds, or I wouldn't have gone to the lengths I've gone to already with it.

As for the Genesis having a subtractive synth, I don't think so: it had an SN76489 square wave generator (for those ghostly, hollow, gorgeous old school synth sounds), but I don't believe it had anything else to speak of. The majority of what was going on was cleverly programmed YM2612 stuff.

Oh, and Ruckus, listening now! This is some brilliant stuff! I've been following Virt in particular for a while now... he's done some truly mindblowing work in the past. Glad to see he's still at it. I think his is coming up next, but I'm liking what's playing right now, so... :)

Yes, seriously, somebody with the magic touch (Urs Heckmann?) needs to get behind FM and make an absolute FM monster synth that adheres to the original Yamaha designs and sampling rates. I think all the DX7 and/or FS1R algorithms should be included as presets, BUT the flexible FM matrix of FM8 is brilliant and should be used as a basis. NI seems quite useless in terms of really pushing things forward, unfortunately. They'd much rather cater to hip hop DJs it seems, sadly. Wish they'd act more like visionaries and less like a business out to make money and do just enough to keep the masses from revolting. I've kept my Komplete up to date since v.2, but no more... it's just not exciting stuff anymore.

Camel and u-he are what's exciting to me at the moment, mostly. If they'd take something like this on, I think it could inject a lot of currently missing personality to electronic music. FM is nothing if not dripping with personality!

Edit: Holy shit, Virt's still got it in spades!! :lol:

... and, after listening to this whole thing, this only reaffirms my general attitude towards VOPM: the sound engine is phenomenally high quality, and to my ears sounds slightly harder and richer than FM7 or FM8. Anybody have any theories as to why? Is it the 60kHz sample rate, specifically?

Further Edit: OK, so I've decided to make all my tracks on Soundcloud freely available to download. Most were, anyway. I'm changing directions musically and about to get a house so I can be loud again and have a 'proper' studio. Much of this stuff is much older and some of it sounds embarrassingly dated to my ears, but there's some good stuff in there, I suppose. I have a much-hated inability to actually finish/arrange my shit properly, which I'm trying hard to get behind and change. In any case, I present to you my humble Soundcloud page:

http://soundcloud.com/logicofwings

DrWashington wrote:... and, after listening to this whole thing, this only reaffirms my general attitude towards VOPM: the sound engine is phenomenally high quality, and to my ears sounds slightly harder and richer than FM7 or FM8. Anybody have any theories as to why? Is it the 60kHz sample rate, specifically
Haven't used FM8 much(I use Sytrus for most of my FM sounds), but from how I've seen FM explained, it'd have to be either the sample rate or something to do with the envelopes, there isn't supposed to be as much room for interpretation as with subtractive.

Loading old formats isn't as important to me personally(though it would be nice), but I like the idea of a new FM monster synth. Seems like FM synthesis hasn't really gotten a lot of development recently, would be great if a talented developer took it to a new level

would love to hear this pack as I'm sure it's awesome, but unfortunately for me I can't open it on FL Studio. I wonder if it works on minihost or are there any other DAWs except cubase that can open the OPMs? I'm planning making an FXB of my favorites from these, or has anybody else uploaded an FXB version of these?
\m/

I wish someone would... I use Cubase and Ableton primarily, but I have much fondness for Image Line in general.

If someone can figure this out, please post it here!

Yeah, and I really don't know what gives VOPM its characteristic 'toughness'. Maybe it's all in my head, but I know I have a bit more difficulty getting FM8 to sound as biting and cutting as VOPM. I've made some great patches for FM8, but it just sounds a bit tamer in general for some reason.

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing all this! I'm having some difficulty running the VOPM on my MAC. I went to this link:

http://www.kvraudio.com/product/vopm_by_sam

and followed the Windows download (because the MAC option brings me to a "page not found") and saw that there was a MAC "universal Binary" which works and opens in Ableton8. The problem is that when I click on import in VOPM, nothing happens. I can get to my folder that has all the OMF's but they are greyed out and I am unable to import them into VOPM. Any idea of how to fix it?

Thanks!

OH! And when I said OMFs I meant OPMs hehehe :D

Same problem here, have been trying to look around, but seems to be no places where its uploaded..

Anyone who has the VOPM version 0.15 for MAC UB ? please share a link.

:shock:

I also think it would be awesome if some pro dev made a bad ass FM synth like this .. I love that gritty FM sound
:borg:

Return to “Sound Design”