West Coast Whistle

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I believe the infamous west coast whistle was made with a sine wave on a Moog model D but I still cannot replicate it on my Moog vst.

For reference, the patch is in this song starts at 2:26 https://youtu.be/NxDO8PipeBw?t=146

If anyone knows how to make it, I'd greatly appreciate it!

We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

CircuitTree wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:41 pm I believe the infamous west coast whistle was made with a sine wave on a Moog model D but I still cannot replicate it on my Moog vst.

Generally this sort of fluty stuff is based on a Triangle (or Square) oscillator(s). Not just a sine.

The spectrum of Sine is/contains just a single partial. Triangle and Square contain all odd ranked partials. Where a Triangle is sort of a lowpass filtered Square. Partial amplitudes for a Triangle are 1/rank^2 (rank squared). For Square it's 1/rank. So a Square contains much more energy in the higher frequencies/partials then a Triangle.

You don't need many partials to emulate a flute. So use a (resonant) Lowpass filter to get the "richness" / "dullness" / character you want to achive.

See FFT for info in partials/spectrum.

And in the very high frequencies, especially on the higher ptches/notes, it sounds like an extra layer of (white) noise through a high resonance (nearly selfoscillating) filter.

Also, many tracks used sawtooth waves too. So using a sawtooth wave monophonically in the highest key and using portamento, pitch bends, and mod.
That’s a square wave with a filter envelope at full resonance, have no idea what keyboard it is. It sounds like an SH-101 or ARP Odyssey. It clearly has a 2-pole filter type sound to it, so that could help.
Many paid and free VSTs as well as Kontakt libraries. As well as HW synths/drum machine and acoustic instruments.

CHOOSX Remakes on my Youtube Channel

CircuitTree wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:41 pmIf anyone knows how to make it, I'd greatly appreciate it!
Especially this example sounds like a triangle, not a sine wave....

CircuitTree wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:41 pm I believe the infamous west coast whistle was made with a sine wave on a Moog model D but I still cannot replicate it on my Moog vst.
I guess we've got all the ingredients now. The actual fluty sound can be emulated by many subtractive synths. As long as it also has mono/portamento with some control over portamento rate/time. The video link CHOOS posted shows an example the actual workflow and usage (though the sound in the walkthrough is a bit different, the principle stands).

Kwurqx wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:10 am
Awesome, I’m gonna try to recreate this on the Legend vst by Synapse!
I guess we've got all the ingredients now. The actual fluty sound can be emulated by many subtractive synths. As long as it also has mono/portamento with some control over portamento rate/time. The video link CHOOS posted shows an example the actual workflow and usage (though the sound in the walkthrough is a bit different, the principle stands).

Return to “Sound Design”