Retro, funky plucked synth sound

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have been trying to find this retro synth that I have heard in a few songs. A good example is Roy Ayers - Slip 'N' Slide (below) heard at 0:14 (not the chord, the little plucks above it).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXWmz4atZKc

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure it'll be a preset on a vintage synthesiser, I just cannot figure out which one!

Many thanks,
Chicken

if you play a sine + another sine 2 octaves up with either a filter cut-off envelope of simple volume envelope to make a quick plucky sound you pretty much have it.

There might be some extra harmonics in there but maybe add a little distortion after
but it's a very basic sounding perc so it might just be that simple
CHOOSX Remakes on my Youtube Channel

Thanks for your response, I'll give that a go and see what I come up with!

I know it's a very simple sound, but I've heard it in a few other tracks before so I thought it may be a preset on a retro synth or something. Was interested to see if this were the case.

Thanks again!
Chick

That’s either a Prophet-5 or OB8 setting with 2 oscillators. Use maybe 2 triangle waves, 2 octaves from each other, an envelope with no sustain, short decay, and a bit of release, same with the filter envelope. The cutoff should be mid, and I believe it’s a setting on a Prophet-5, which is the main post disco synth in the day, along with Minimoog. Pro-53 or Prophanity should be very close.
Many paid and free VSTs as well as Kontakt libraries. As well as HW synths/drum machine and acoustic instruments.

Return to “Sound Design”