Spectral: OSC/Filters and Cross-modulation

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello!

I’m the one who actually reads the manuals, and I think the Spectral docs are quite good, but I’m still not sure what exactly happens to OSC/filters when cross-modulation is used. Here is what I was able to find in docs:
When choosing the Oscillator you get the full Oscillator output, not affected by the Oscillator Volume dial, the Oscillator Envelope, any volume modulation via the Mod Matrix and of course no filtering.
When choosing the Filter you get the filtered signal, which is affected by the Oscillator Volume dial, the Oscillator Envelope and any volume modulation of the Oscillator via the Mod Matrix. However, the Filter Volume dial and any Filter volume modulation via the Mod Matrix does not affect this signal.
Due to the internal structure of Spectral the harmonics created through cross-modulation cannot be filtered by the following filter.
While on many sounds this will not be an issue, on some you may want to reduce the harmonics created by cross-modulation. To do so, you can use this Subsequent Filter.

Can this be explained in more details or illustrated with a audio path diagram or something like this?

There is quick picture in amazon.de Spectral review:

Is this diagram accurate enough? I'm pretty sure many important things are omitted here.

Is x-modulation affecting the Oscillator output when it is used as a x-mod source?
Is the main filter still filtering the corresponding OSC before it is used as a destination in x-modulation?

Thank you!
CU
VK

To be honest, I dont understand the diagram :) (Btw the review is on amazona.de ! :)),

I think the main point is (and thats what your quote describes) that one gets the signal as pure as technically possible. We once made a diagram for our Alpha synth, and even though we ommited some more complex parts (of this quite simple synth), the diagram was way better suited to confuse people than to teach them anything. If we would do a diagram which actually shows how Spectral exactly work you probably would need at least a degree in electronics to understand it within reasonable time.

Peter, thank you for replying my question and sorry for mistyping the amazona.de!

Let's live without a diagram if it is too confusing. Is a little bit more detailed description of the "internal structure of Spectral x-modulation" possible?

For example, if I load the init preset and set the OSC2 (source) to x-modulate the OSC1 (destination) the FIL1 (set to lowpass) seems to work quite well. Does this means, that the FIL1 is processing OSC1 _before_ it is x-modulated by OSC2?

Or is it the entire x-modulation structure pure magic which can not be described in words? ;)

Thank you and sorry for taking your time!
CU
VK

I've put it as good as I think it is possible in the manual, feel free to ask if you have a specific question.

Return to “LinPlug”