Which Spectral soundset?

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I want to buy one in the sale - already have Daniel's, which of the others is best for soundscapes, drones, complex and ambient sounds?

aMUSEd wrote:I want to buy one in the sale - already have Daniel's, which of the others is best for soundscapes, drones, complex and ambient sounds?
There is of course, Ian Boddy's set.

Just download the banks and see for yourself. I haven't done it myself yet, but as I understand it, you can try out all of the banks and make your own decision what works best for you. When you decide to purchase, you just authorize by keying in your serial number. In the meantime, it's supposed to emit an occasional burst of white noise. I think it's a very nice way to audition new banks, so kudos to Peter and his team for coming up with this. :tu:

Wow..that's a really neat way to let you try out the sounds.

When did this start?

I didn't realise I could demo the banks - cool idea

Here's is a copy and paste from the Linplug site:

"You can TRY every Sound Bank before you buy. While the sounds are not yet licensed, Spectral plays them in demo mode (emmiting a noise sound once in a while). With your order you will get a serial number for the respective sound bank to remove the demo restriction."

The location is the same place where you enter your Spectral serial number but lower down the page.

And here's a link to the soundsets page:

http://www.linplug.com/sounds.html

OK I have tried all 3 and it's the Ian Boddy one that stood out the most for me - almost every patch is very playable and inspiring. The Transform set also had some nice sounds but not as many outstanding ones but I will give both longer to grow on me and may end up buying another. What a great way to demo a soundbank.

The bit that interested me about the Transformer set is that it states 'Most of the very alive sounds can be be morphed into a quite different sound using various MIDI controllers' but it doesn't tell you which ones.

Well, thats right, but if you load them, just go on, most have MIDI CC 16, 17, sometimes 18 and 19 assigned to a number of parameters changing the sound more or less drastic. Its difficult to exactly describe, but easy and obvious when you do. However, I'd appreciate your feedback, this part is not well described.

As a side note to the original question, its very interesting how people pick certain sets and value them over others. But its very individual, naturally and it encourages us to produce more of these. I think there is plenty of potential and sound designers can certainly create much more and different sounds as they get used to the Spectral engine (which also emerges with feedback from you and our sound designers). So there is more to expect. :)

Peter from LinPlug wrote:Well, thats right, but if you load them, just go on, most have MIDI CC 16, 17, sometimes 18 and 19 assigned to a number of parameters changing the sound more or less drastic. Its difficult to exactly describe, but easy and obvious when you do. However, I'd appreciate your feedback, this part is not well described.
The next time I do a set, I'll probably include a pdf that gives a basic introduction to further controls. Since I see things from a from a sound design perspective it seems obvious to look at the assignments and set up your controller accordingly.
You forget the way most users are going to look at it and that it's not necessarily "obvious". I've just done a set for Dune 2 and with that you have a large space to include some descriptors of how to use the sound. I don't know how you might do something similar with Spectral without changing the gui a lot. A submenu with the preset browser?

As for it being sometimes difficult to exactly describe what the controllers do, I sometimes find that difficult myself. With the Dune set, while there are plenty of patches that have descriptions that say "opens filter", "increases detune", or "changes delay depth" , there are others where I've assigned so many different destinations that a simple precise description is difficult so I write something like "Mod wheel allows you to explore the ocean's deepest point" or something equally vague. :D

I'm just checking out Arksun and Bigtone's set as well as Ian Boddy's. They've got a lot of cool ideas in there, that I've adapted to my own work. It's always useful to check out other people's perspective on the same tools, especially when they are skilled at what they do.
Musicmaker: "I'm playing all the right notes, but not neccesarily in the right order" Eric Morecame : Comedy Bhoddisatva

Talking about soundsets, i did one of the first soundsets for spectral (after working on some factory presets for Spectral), awesome machine, till today one of my fav. synthies... It's on sale, at the moment, get -50% here https://sellfy.com/p/bnLW/

frank
Voice, sample and factory content developer Particular-Sound / Facebook / Soundcloud

I was not aware of that ability, so downloaded a few banks to try. However, it is unclear exactly where they installed - most seem to have merged into existing folders. Is there any way now to identify those new ones and eliminate them if I don't purchase the set? Annoying to not be aware which are demos and have them bleep you in the middle of a project....

Sequent wrote:Here's is a copy and paste from the Linplug site:

"You can TRY every Sound Bank before you buy. While the sounds are not yet licensed, Spectral plays them in demo mode (emmiting a noise sound once in a while). With your order you will get a serial number for the respective sound bank to remove the demo restriction."

The location is the same place where you enter your Spectral serial number but lower down the page.

And here's a link to the soundsets page:

http://www.linplug.com/sounds.html

They install in both a dedicated bank in the Spectral library as well as in the "additional" banks (e.g. bass add), you can delete the separate bank easily and in the add banks you can delete all with the respective prefix (e.g. ds for the in-visible set by Daniel Stawczyk or ym for the Yemksi sounds). Another option would be to delete all additional sounds and only install those again where you have a license. They never merge with the factory library banks, just fyi

Return to “LinPlug”