sophistry in cronox 4?

RELATED
PRODUCTS

It's possible I simply haven't made my way to them yet. All of the sounds are so good. I simply love this synth.

dangayle wrote:It's possible I simply haven't made my way to them yet. All of the sounds are so good. I simply love this synth.
Let me know if anything sounds bad...

Frank
Voice, sample and factory content developer Particular-Sound / Facebook / Soundcloud

trying out the sophistry patches in CRX4 i find many of them are composed of many samples on individual keys and the samples are big (some several megabytes) this makes for very sluggish preset loading
and browsing. what they SHOULD have done is only used C1, C3, and C5 root samples, looped
to a smaller size (several KB in size) and interpolated them. i shrank several soph presets this way
and the patches sounded the same, but loaded faster and took up way less HD space.... take note
Linplug sound designers.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote:trying out the sophistry patches in CRX4 i find many of them are composed of many samples on individual keys and the samples are big (some several megabytes) this makes for very sluggish preset loading
and browsing. what they SHOULD have done is only used C1, C3, and C5 root samples, looped
to a smaller size (several KB in size) and interpolated them. i shrank several soph presets this way
and the patches sounded the same, but loaded faster and took up way less HD space.... take note
Linplug sound designers.
That's not right, it maybe load faster, that's true, but the sound isn't that good when we only sample 1 key in a octave. You must pitch the sample up/down and that's sound not as good as when you sample every third key. About the sample length, if you listen to the samples itself, there is a lot of modulations in the source samples so it is not that easy to find a good loop point.

You can increase the loading times by using a SSD for example and never put the samples on a second HD which is using USB only... That increases the loading times a lot...

Frank
Voice, sample and factory content developer Particular-Sound / Facebook / Soundcloud

Of course Frank is right, however, layzer, it always depends on what you aim for and what satisfies you. Actually with a modern machine loading times even of hundreds of Mb are not an issue anymore (it not has been since many years, when I think about it :D)
Regards
Peter

Peter from LinPlug wrote:Of course Frank is right, however, layzer, it always depends on what you aim for and what satisfies you.
Frank may be right, but bloat is what fustrated and steered me away from Dimension Pro and ruled out ever picking up Omnisphere or Komplete.... the kings of bloat. And always made me go back to Wavestation and M1 for choirs, strings and complex pads. no biggie, i'm building a trim great sounding bank out of the Soph patches i like.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Well, i can understand you that it is going on your nerves, loading times, that's the reason why i did later so called "menu", showing small one file snippets of every preset in that folder because a lot of people are stepping through presets.. And when you found "your" sound, you can load the big one...

I used this way later on other productions and on drumloops/presets collections.

But about the sound, if you compare the M1 with Omnisphere or Sophistry, you must hear the differences between the "main sounds", a lot of more modulations and a lot of more ways to use the sound... That's the main reason for me, and maybe for Spectrasonics, too, to use big samples...

Frank

Return to “LinPlug”