One Synth Challenge #131: Syncla-X (Voting Over, results pending)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Well... of course, I didn't mean all of them.

@IV!
Huah!? You're right, putting the note up to 7! I knew something felt off in my tracks, haha. :ud:
I changed my Init to have the master note at -5 now. That will set it right. :oops:
Thanks for sharing your starter! :tu:

@mxbf
It's actually surprisingly interesting to work with this synth. But I noticed about myself that whenever I don't seem to like a synth, I end up loving to work with it after some times of wrestling, haha... Stockholm-Syndrom?!? Maybe...

As you said: You're very welcome, Taron! :)

I hope this translate how "I'm ready to help you"... :roll:

While I'm in a sharing mood, here's a fun little orchestra set of sections after I just tried to make some strings. Now it's more like...uhm... half the orchestra in a tutti, haha, but it's fun. Even without effects it already works quite well. Reverb will bring it home and you can have some dramatic jamming, I can promise you that! 8) :violin:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Great sound! Let me take it for myself, but not for this OSC! In fact, we can create four independent layers in a single patch. The only thing I lack is the ability to independently configure the filter for each generator.

By the way, have you found a way to save multiple patches to one Bank and change their internal names? Now we are essentially saving factory bank again every time for each new patch. And it's always called by the name of the last open patch, not the one I gave it.

And by the way, I congratulate you on your victory last month! With the same number of points, no one can be called first and second.

Ahaha, thanks, IV! That happened to me a bunch of times already and somehow I virtually always get the second except for one time, I think. But, yeah, that was fate in action, forged by Kilohearts own representative, tsss...gotta appreciate choices! :lol:

Ha, I haven't noticed the bank situation there, that's interesting. I mean, the whole thing is SynthEdit, if I deduce that properly, and somehow that always comes with funky stuff. Besides the preset management, on my computer the GUI is rather "unresponsive", taking a moment to recognize a mouse being on any control and so forth. I'm just glad it works at all and patches load back in properly with the project. Any kind of file management luxuries would've been nice, but I can live with it.
For my own synth (Lord of the Springs) I went out of my way to figure out the proper bank/preset file stuff, which wasn't that easy to me, if I remember correctly. I don't know why this stuff is so challenging... :shrug:

Anyway, it is really exciting to coax out some neat sounds with this synth. It sounds exceptionally full, no doubt. I had to use some EQ to tame the stuff. If only the filter section wasn't so weak. I wonder, if that's "authentic"? No clue... I mean, you can totally forget attack on the filter ADSR, as it always starts from 0 cutoff and not any set level. The "cutoff" dial is really just a filter-envelope amount dial and there is no "real" cutoff dial. Even with only that "fixed", it would be twice the synth, I think.
Then the envelope interpolations....eh....they kind of feel inverse exponential, or so...hard to tell...maybe a bias? But to get them to act acceptably is its own challenge. It's all like walking on eggshells, hoping to land on a decent compromise.
There are a bunch of quirks, which I assume would have to be authentic emulations of sorts, but considering the astronomical price of the synclavier in its days, it seems weird. But it's all creating the character of this thing and it can sound fantastic! So be it... :lol: :hyper:

I've read a lot about synclavier, listened to recordings, and I don't think it would still be used in studios around the world if it behaved the same way as its "adopted" virtual son. I think the author abandoned this project, faced with the problems that we are talking about now. He's currently working on an emulation of the Hohner P-100, much simpler than synclavier, as far as I can tell. Maybe at 17, he had too much ambition and self-belief, maybe if he went from simple to complex, we would get some completely finished tools. But in any case, we are not filled up to the ears with synclavier emulators, so it's a sin to complain, let's have fun!
For me, this way of working with patches is also not a problem, just asked)

He's 17 or was 17 when he made it??? That is FANTASTIC! WOW! Man, I was on fire back then, too... freaking 30 years ago, jeeez.
Anyway, I haven't checked, but if it was open source, I might've taken a stab at it to see what can be fixed. I can imagine it would be worth it. 8)
(Just went on his website for the first time...duh...I should've done that earlier! :dog: ...I don't know him, but I'm proud of him, honestly. Just great! :clap: )
Last edited by Taron on Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"My name is Valmont, I'm 17 years old from France." - this is from his website. It released versions of Syncla-X during August and September 2018. It means that he is now 18 years old and continues to produce something! And so far, everything is free. I watch him closely...This is talent!

LOL, I just edited my reply... yes, he's fantastic! I'm excited to watch what becomes of him and his creations. Should have a bright future for sure and brightens up all of ours! :hug:

Since this project is abandoned, perhaps Valmont would have agreed to provide the source code for improvement. Many VST creators are very happy that their creation got into the OSC month and are willing to help the community.

Well, I'm too busy to ASK for it, but if he ever was gonna do that, I'd be happy to look into it for sure!

I will be happy if this ever happens! I really like this engineer's synthesizer!

Ok, here's a little taste of what I've got going...
https://soundcloud.com/taronium/taron-reef
OSC#131: Syncla-X

What a curious little wonder this thing is. Not without its challenges, it's capable of pretty incredible sounds and it's interesting to explore.
All presets from scratch, of course...

Instances: 14
DAW:MuLab
FX: 4Band, Level Compressor, Cross-Delay, Mid-Side Processor
3rd FX: Loudmax64, DragonFly reverb, Abstract Chamber

Return to “Instruments”