NI Massive still worth buying ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

title says it all really. It is currently on sale, 50% off. So is it still worth chipping money for, either the sale price or even the regular price ?

If you have never heard it, it's like a new synth.
This one has a gazzilion soundsets on the market,
and a great legacy. Find the great ones by google.
Having many pro sound designers applying their takes,
can be more important than filter specs and
anatomical measuring contests :wink:

Should be a demo to try, with 30 minute sessions.
Cheers

I think it is worth the money. It’s a great synthesizer to learn on and it covers a lot of sounds.

However for not much more you can get Massive X which is a great sounding synth. Demo it first to make sure it works on your system though!
:borg:

V0RT3X wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:11 am I think it is worth the money. It’s a great synthesizer to learn on and it covers a lot of sounds.

However for not much more you can get Massive X which is a great sounding synth. Demo it first to make sure it works on your system though!
I did consider it, but it seems the ui is a lot less intuitive, there is less unison compared to old massive and a bunch of other annoyances and things yet to improve etc...I believe old Massive is a more complete product, so I'm really not into shelling out more for it...

I'm not just starting out, but I do have very limited funds which always prevent me from buying the more expensive things I'd need to produce. Home producer, so no tax reductions ;)

RandyEspoda wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:52 am
V0RT3X wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:11 am I think it is worth the money. It’s a great synthesizer to learn on and it covers a lot of sounds.

I did consider it, but it seems the ui is a lot less intuitive, there is less unison compared to old massive and a bunch of other annoyances and things yet to improve etc...I believe old Massive is a more complete product, so I'm really not into shelling out more for it...

I'm not just starting out, but I do have very limited funds which always prevent me from buying the more expensive things I'd need to produce. Home producer, so no tax reductions ;)
Then i’d definitely demo Massive 1 then. There is still a lot of sound potential in Massive and as a bonus, you can run many instances on modern cpus.
:borg:

Well, thousands of successful tracks by greatest artists were made with Massive. Can't deny that.

Also, there are thousands of presets around, so you can use it as a preset machine only and still get far. I once saw someone on Akai forum shared VIP map with 40.000 tagged presets :o

But to buy Massive today... it's included in Komplete anyway. :shrug:
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

DJ Warmonger wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:52 am Well, thousands of successful tracks by greatest artists were made with Massive. Can't deny that.

Also, there are thousands of presets around, so you can use it as a preset machine only and still get far. I once saw someone on Akai forum shared VIP map with 40.000 tagged presets :o

But to buy Massive today... it's included in Komplete anyway. :shrug:
Yes but I do not have 'komplete' funds, so to speak.
What seems only small change for most, is for some a much bigger deal ;)

In other words, I have kids and an ex wife man.
Ergo, I would love to buy Komplete, but can only afford Massive,
and even then only now at half price. Maybe.

Love Massive, was an inspiration for me when I started to use it and it's still one of my fave soft synths.

I bought mine second hand years ago, when prices were high. I;m thinking that second hand prices now would possibly be much cheaper, especially with MX out, maybe even better than 50%
Last edited by samsam on Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

You still have 3 days so I’d be putting up a WTB thread here first. It looks like one sold for €50 recently which is 33% lower than even the current sale price ;)
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

lol Mushy posted the same thing while I was editing mine to add "why not second hand?"

samsam wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:45 am lol Mushy posted the same thing while I was editing mine to add "why not second hand?"
Great minds :tu:
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

can you tell me reasons why it shouldnt be? you can still make awesome sounds with it. It sounds great, only it doesnt have GUI resizing.

Since it's a 12 year old synth, NI should make the current 50% off price permanent. The original price of $150 for such an old synth is way too much now.

still worth buying? good question. I have massive1 as part of komplete, and last month i have uninstalled it, because already have some next gen wavetable synths.

I am still a big fan of the original Massive. It has a very low CPU footprint and is perfectly capable of sounding very good. It has a rich sound arguably "of a time" not old school like some other aging soft synths but it has quite a cripsy and raw sound which can be great. I always found it has a nice bass character as well. I love the old interface and modulation options, the filter has a narrow sweetspot and sometimes leave you feeling disappointed, seems to easily cut the body of a sound out and leave it a bit thin, its resonance is not to everyone's taste either, can get a bit harsh sounding.

The downside to Massive and its update Masssive X is that I have never been very impressed with its FM capabilities. Although I am after a certain texture of FM normally and neither works very well to my ears. This may be down to not enough effort, for perspective I mean 2 hours worth of playing around and not making a single worthy FM lead sound. You can get some FM like textures from the filter and LFO (Massive original) but it never holds up to other synths. I have yet to make a single usable FM sound with Massive X with either modes so far so I use my tried an trusted ones.

Massive X is ok, it does some things very nicely, some sounds can be excellent, but not everything it does is great, which is very common with all synths. They tend to do some things very well and others not. It is just another decent synth to me. Massive X filters are sometimes very good, but often with any given filter I look for a parameter and it is not there in the filter model chosen which is a bit frustrating.

I actually would not want to be without Massive (V1) I still really enjoy using it and low cpu is very useful at times, when I need some bread and butter sounds dropped in Sylenth1 and Massive save the day.

They need to quadruple the WT's they supply it with IMO and keep the quality high, actually every WT synth maker should do that, very vital elements of any WT synth.

Whatever synths you use you have to work out how to get what YOU want out of them and discern the results. As such each one will suit every users sonic preferences differently than another and why there are so many wide ranging opinions.

Also ability comes into it I guess, unless endless preset availability is your love, I am 6/10 at programming sounds now, no master of synthesis but can get by with any synth in front of me within a short time usually.

I would not want to be without Massive (V1) I still really enjoy using it and low cpu is very useful at times, when I need some bread and butter sounds dropped in Sylenth1 and Massive save the day.

Return to “Instruments”