Unify by PluginGuru; The next big thing?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Unify (Standard Edition)

Chief developer Shane Dunne, with John "Skippy" Lehmkuhl are coming out with a new product Unify.

From the pluginguru.net site:

""

PlugInGuru Unify is both a stand-alone app and a plug-in (AU, VST, or VST3) that can load any Audio Unit (Mac OS only), VST or VST3 plug-ins to make new sounds. Unify can load MIDI Effects, Instruments (with keyboard note and velocity ranges) and Audio Effects into a “flat Interface” where the most important functions are visible without diving into multiple pages or menus. Unify has an unlimited number of Layers which can contain an Instrument and zero or more audio effects, and can optionally be controlled by one of an unlimited number of MIDI effects. There are up to 4 AUX Busses and all audio is finally routed to a Master Effect Bus where you can apply Master effects.

Think of Unify as a super-powerful Combination mode like what is found in top of the line music workstations on the market… However, with Unify you can use ANY instruments and effects, not just the ones provided by a particular company.

This is our first commercially released plug-in and we’re very excited for the incredible abilities this gives musicians to use their library of various plug-ins in new and creative ways.

This is also the future vehicle for most all PlugInGuru.com patch libraries. We plan to add new features and abilities to Unify and will release patch libraries that take advantage of the new abilities that a particular update will include.""

It looks like a winner. Last estimate was a December 2019 release. Watch the video:

https://youtu.be/fwM1C1yudig?t=240

Sounds like Ableton Live / Bitwig Racks.

perpetual3 wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:42 pm Sounds like Ableton Live / Bitwig Racks.
But aren't those programs DAW specific to themselves?

Unify will supposedly run on any DAW or as Standalone on Mac or Windows.
We'll have to wait and see I guess. :)

mrsugmad wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:36 am
perpetual3 wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:42 pm Sounds like Ableton Live / Bitwig Racks.
But aren't those programs DAW specific to themselves?

Unify will supposedly run on any DAW or as Standalone on Mac or Windows.
We'll have to wait and see I guess. :)
kind of like NI Kore, or new sonic arts Freestyle, or apple Mainstage..

there used to be Rax but it was AU only and i don't think it exists anymore.. there's a few simple free standalone vst hosts out there.

i guess it all comes down to capability/features etc...

I've been beta testing it and imo, Unify IS a winner; definitely does run standalone and in all my Mac DAWs (Logic, Waveform, Live, Bitwig). Lotsa great samples included free from Pluginguru, as well as mega-mucho cool presets, of course, since that's the main point from his POV. Along with escape from decades of frustration using devices not optimized to suit his decades of pro-patch-design experience.

From mine, it's the unlimited MIDI FX layers that can be sent off to multiple instrument layers, the layer and plugin state saving/loading that is in most cases a lot faster and often much simpler than saving in the plugins themselves or in the DAW, the speed with which layered or not-layered presets launch since plugin GUIs don't have to, the multicore access…and particularly in my case, the delight of being introduced to such amazing free devices I'd never bothered to previously explore, like the wonderful Dexed and some sweet FX, and esp. the SUPER-wonderful BlueArp MIDI FX, which has become my all-time fav arpeggiator.

Previous thread with some more info/details:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=532781

sounds like what any ol daw can already do
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

David,
Any info on pricing?

$79 iirc; in that range, certainly.

In this video on Dec 4, John mentions Unify will be released "in a week or so"

https://youtu.be/jpDe-PpDQTw?t=147

looks interesting, will be following.

There's a youtube livestream tomorrow (Saturday at 12pm PDT)
Here is the link:
https://www.youtube.com/c/PlugInGuruVid ... 75b0a48b38

Saturday's Livestream

A Complete Look at Unify and what it can do in V1.0. / Report back from the Fund Raiser Concert (with performance!)

We've passed our release date for Unify and decided we're not 100% ready. We have decided to delay the release for a while longer.... You all will be the 1st to know when it's fully ready for release - we get 1 shot to do this right and we have decided it's better to be a little late and have everything ROCKING than release and have challenges we didn't fix before release. Thank you for your patience - we will show you tomorrow, the wait will be TOTALLY WORTH IT!

Is it better than FL Patcher in any way?

So this will allow Ableton Live style Instrument Racks in Cubase? If so, sold. Instantly.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mutools Mux
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Return to “Instruments”