One Synth Challenge #130: Phase Plant by Kilohearts (exponent1 Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

exponent1 wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:26 pm
Taron wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:32 pm Yup, that's me! Though, I may have a reverb to bring things together.
Any snippets or WIP so far? I'm bracing myself for all the amazing sounds and music we'll hear, made with this gorgeous and monstrous synth, can't wait! :hyper:

On the other hand, with so much power, I'm kind of lost and overwhelmed this month. I'm not even sure about what kind of music I want to make this month :help:
My trouble remains that I have no time. Also, the synth- as awesome and wonderful as it is- asks for a very electronic style, using the wicked modulations and even waveform routing possibilities, but it does get overwhelmed by polyphony very quickly. I don't think I will do so well with this one, as much as I love it and know I'd love to, too. But all our dubsteppy folks will have a field day with it and I can't possibly do it justice. I just don't have the time. :shrug:
...so, yeah, it's not unlikely this one will escape me, too. :(

exponent1 wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:18 pm Please do note that any imported wavetables, self-made or otherwise, can't have more than 2 single cycle waveforms in them. Looking forward to your punchy and explosive track.

Hm just to be sure, is something like this regarded as asingle cycle?

I would say yes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Eauson wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:21 pmTried to save presets, doesn't seem to be possible?
You need to change to the "User Presets" folder - the factory presets are write protected.

Taron wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:21 pm
Seriously, though, this synth has even the power to delay envelopes, making it very easy to create dubstep like snares, for example, or any over-exaggerated punches, which you create by bringing in the rest of the sound spectrum after the hit.
Good hint, I am going to start to explore that :D

BTW, where is the right place to discuss phaseplant specifica or discuss usage? Here or in another thread?

SamDi wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:17 pm Hm just to be sure, is something like this regarded as asingle cycle?

I would say yes.
Yes it is. And you can import a wavetable consisting of max 2 of those.
SamDi wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:32 pmGood hint, I am going to start to explore that :D

BTW, where is the right place to discuss phaseplant specifica or discuss usage? Here or in another thread?
You can discuss anything related to the current challenge and Phase Plant here in this thread. You can also join the OSC Slack for some on-topic (but mostly off-topic :D) discussion.

haslo wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:20 pm
Eauson wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:21 pmTried to save presets, doesn't seem to be possible?
You need to change to the "User Presets" folder - the factory presets are write protected.
Many thanks,
I'll give it a go and try and upload if anyone is interested, the only other problem I have now, is that it takes about 10 -20 minutes to load the project and hangs my computer ( its called OsChallenge, not bounce media and work with wav challenge : D ) that's why I finished when I did, have to try soon though as my demo runs out in 4 days :D

Yay, another garbled message from me :party: :phones: :tu: :dog: :oops: :hug:
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

Eauson wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:20 am have to try soon though as my demo runs out in 4 days :D
Send a message to stu, he will extend the period until the end of the month... (its explained on page two...)

Eauson wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:20 am
...the only other problem I have now, is that it takes about 10 -20 minutes to load the project and hangs my computer...
I would drop a message to support@kilohearts.com about that with your specs and maybe a project file. Sounds unusual.

SamDi wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:32 pm
BTW, where is the right place to discuss phaseplant specifica or discuss usage?
There's not a Phase Plant specific thread on KVR but there is a Facebook group and Discord channel linked at the footer of their website. :)

Maybe there should be a decent Phase Plant thread on here too...

It seems that this synth becomes quite demanding on CPU if you try to play more complex chords :?
EDIT: AMD Ryzen 7 x1700, DAW: Reaper

Tj Shredder wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:18 am
Eauson wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:20 am have to try soon though as my demo runs out in 4 days :D
Send a message to stu, he will extend the period until the end of the month... (its explained on page two...)
Many thanks Tj,

Not sure I'll go any further, as I won't purchase, if everything was included for the lesser price then it would be a good investment for someone :)
StuSmith wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:03 pm
Eauson wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:20 am
...the only other problem I have now, is that it takes about 10 -20 minutes to load the project and hangs my computer...
I would drop a message to support@<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">kilohearts.com</span> about that with your specs and maybe a project file. Sounds unusual.
I think it just the number of instances and my underpowered PC :D
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

Eauson wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:25 pm I think it just the number of instances and my underpowered PC :D
If I set up my MPE tricks in Bitwig (send each Midi channel to its own instance) some factory sounds will bug out at voice 4!
And that on a 10-core Mac Pro @ 3 GHz for each core...
Can‘t call my Mac underpowered, I‘d rather call Phase Plant badly optimized... (The same patch run as single polyphonic instance does more voices btw...)

Tj Shredder wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:44 am
Eauson wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:25 pm I think it just the number of instances and my underpowered PC :D
If I set up my MPE tricks in Bitwig (send each Midi channel to its own instance) some factory sounds will bug out at voice 4!
And that on a 10-core Mac Pro @ 3 GHz for each core...
Can‘t call my Mac underpowered, I‘d rather call Phase Plant badly optimized... (The same patch run as single polyphonic instance does more voices btw...)
I think he was referring to his own computer, not yours. :-)

If you send this info to support they'd be glad of it! With something so modular and capable of very complex patches you will certainly have situations where machines get overloaded. Especially once you start using 'poly' on the FX lanes along with unison... that's a lot to process.

The Kilohearts guys have obviously had to optimise intensely for such a powerful synth to be usable. I wouldn't call it badly optimised. Chances are they've not tested this Bitwig MPE trick. Let them know about it! :-D

Stu, I had already sent an email to you a while back, but my trial license has expired today. I hope, you'll get to extend it. I'm so short on time that every moment counts that I get to work on my track.

Taron wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:34 pm Stu, I had already sent an email to you a while back, but my trial license has expired today. I hope, you'll get to extend it. I'm so short on time that every moment counts that I get to work on my track.
Sorry! Somehow missed your email... sorted now. :-)

Return to “Instruments”