One Synth Challenge #130: Phase Plant by Kilohearts (exponent1 Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ah, interesting, thanks, Stu! I might have a look at that later. I'm not on their channel, yet. :tu:

Hi all :) I joined this community because of the OSC; I only just started making music again like a month ago and, in fact, I was undecided whether I'd want to learn Phase Plant or Serum in-depth. So Phase Plant it is :D

I'm still not 100% clear on the rules though. They say that flanger and chorus are not allowed, but everything that is within the synth is allowed. So using any chorus (including the snap-in one that comes with Phase Plant) outside the synth is a no-no.

Now if I put a chorus or flanger snap-in in one of the effect lanes within the synth, is that allowed or not?

haslo wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:22 am Hi all :) I joined this community because of the OSC; I only just started making music again like a month ago and, in fact, I was undecided whether I'd want to learn Phase Plant or Serum in-depth. So Phase Plant it is :D

I'm still not 100% clear on the rules though. They say that flanger and chorus are not allowed, but everything that is within the synth is allowed. So using any chorus (including the snap-in one that comes with Phase Plant) outside the synth is a no-no.

Now if I put a chorus or flanger snap-in in one of the effect lanes within the synth, is that allowed or not?
Hi Haslo and Welcome to OSC.
Any snap-in in the effects lanes within the synth is allowed. All good, considered 'part of the synth'

For any fx (including the snap-in vst fx) used outside the synth (i.e. on the bus or master chain) must comply with the rules here:
https://sites.google.com/site/kvrosc/rules

Any word on the demo time extension, yet? :scared:

I need some confirmation that certain indispensable features (personal view) are not implemented:
1. MPE (sorry I have to insist...; -)
2. Midi cc modulation (except cc1 which is not at all sufficient, I need all 127...(I hate unnecessary restrictions ; - )
3. Polyphonic comb filter ( I guess that the resonator for the lines part isn't polyphonic?).
Filter in general seems to have only one sort of filter, I guess its a biquad...

The resonance seems to be a whole note of btw. If I play a C3, I need to set the resonance to D3 to get the peak... (modulation Midi note set to 100%)

If I am wrong please correct me...

Taron wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:56 am Any word on the demo time extension, yet? :scared:
Did you get this?
StuSmith wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:21 pm All participants who don't already own or subscribe to the Kilohearts collection: Please drop an email to stu@kilohearts.com with your KVR username and an email address for your Kilohearts account and I'll set up a month's free subscription. (Mention OSC in the subject so I know what it's about!).

The Kilohearts guys have set this up separate from the regular subscription system so you won't have to submit any payment details or get renewal reminders when the month is up. :)
I first uninstalled the demo and then reinstalled with the installer I got by mail. Now I have a full version which most likely will be expired when I wake up next year...

OH snap, no, didn't get this...Thanks, Tj! :tu: :hug:

Tj Shredder wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:02 am I need some confirmation that certain indispensable features (personal view) are not implemented:
Got quick answers on the first 2 from the guys:

"1. Is possible and not difficult, but not implemented... yet.
2. Same thing. We have ideas for making it better. Right-click Macros only to midi-bind for now.

Regarding the resonator, it's set so that 100% note modulation on the default value (A4) will put it right on the played note"

I can personally suggest using and automating filters in Slice EQ if you want to do more complex filter stuff. Anything goes in there! Your other questions a bit too tech for me but I'm sure you'll get answers via one of the above... :-)

FYI, a good place to ask about this kinda stuff is in the Kilohearts Discord: https://discordapp.com/invite/YN9jC7j

Or email support@kilohearts.com

StuSmith wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:24 pm Regarding the resonator, it's set so that 100% note modulation on the default value (A4) will put it right on the played note"
Ah, A4 as default, that makes sense, the A4 will pick the 3rd harmonic of D3...; - )
And if MPE is not difficult, just do it...!
I am glad that a lot of presets do use aftertouch, but if you get that and pitch bend polyphonically its so much more fun...

Did a little update for my current track.
https://soundcloud.com/medniex/osc-130-rev01

[EDIT:]

It will be my final submission, so there are the details of the track:

DAW: Ableton Live
22 instances of Phase Plant (had to freeze one of the tracks to keep my favorite variation of random module)
HOST FX: Glue compression with sidechain EQ, EQ Eight, Utility, Arpeggiator (MIDI)
3rd party plugins: Limiter6 (on master)
Last edited by Medniex on Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YT | SC | FB | IG | earror :ud: KO :ud:

It would be nice to be able to set custom resonant modes on the resonator snap-in, rather than being limited to either a square wave or saw wave spectrum. At least a sine option to get just the one resonant mode.

I would like to be able to control some resonator or slice EQ parameters by midi key, independent of the note being played. Maybe the capability to assign a key range or channel for the oscillators and each note LFO. Maybe the capability to assign a separate glide parameter for each, as well.
Medniex wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:51 pm Did a little update for my current track.
Nice.
Celebrating 50 years of pants with frogs in them

A resonator is just a feedback delay line, its in its nature to resonate on the harmonics as well. If you want just the first harmonic, you need to put a tracking filter after it which filters the higher harmonics...

FrogsInPants wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:20 am It would be nice to be able to...
If you drop feature requests in the Kilohearts Discord: https://discordapp.com/invite/YN9jC7j

Or via email to support@kilohearts.com

They will add them to the list for consideration (or bump them up the list if they're already on there).

I know they get a lot of requests and take them all into account, working on the most popular (and not impossible) ones first. :-)

I'm totally in on this one. I need to test my new DAW.
Disco flangus shenanigans

Tj Shredder wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:42 am A resonator is just a feedback delay line, its in its nature to resonate on the harmonics as well. If you want just the first harmonic, you need to put a tracking filter after it which filters the higher harmonics...
You're probably right that this is how it's implemented, and my suggestion would be infeasible. Your recommendation is well received. I would just point out that resonators do not in general have the characteristics of a feedback delay line.
StuSmith wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:36 am
FrogsInPants wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:20 am It would be nice to be able to...
If you drop feature requests in the Kilohearts Discord: https://discordapp.com/invite/YN9jC7j

Or via email to support@kilohearts.com
Fair enough.
Celebrating 50 years of pants with frogs in them

Return to “Instruments”