Opinions on MassiveX

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Massive Massive X Zebra

anomandaris1 wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:42 pm
dionenoid wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:29 pm
Serum is still the most used and most popular softsynth worldwide. Also the one with the most third party presets available. So i'd say it's pretty much the standard still.
Well, original Massive, Sylenth1 and Omnisphere 2, and Zebra, and Spire also have tons of preset banks for them. About how used and popular is something - this is very speculative (probably stock DAW synths and some freewares like Synth1 and similar see more use than various big name synths)
Serum is certainly quite popular (and rightly so) with a certain types of music, it sounds good and is one of the easiest VSTi's to use -but we are talking about a niche here- the reality is Serum is probably on 0.00000000001% of stuff that charts excluding DeadMouse5 ;-)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Stefken wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:24 am I don't know why you keep bringing up this synth like it's the de facto standard we have to meet or compare with. We moved on since then and seen much nicer implementations (I really like the new Drumcomputer for example).
I would sell Serum in a second if my license allowed it. It was a nice evolution at the time but it's sound is way to harsh for my taste.
Serum is still the most used and most popular softsynth worldwide. Also the one with the most third party presets available. So i'd say it's pretty much the standard still.
Do you have verifiable sources with numerical data of musical tracks totaled by softsynth(s) used, total sales and revenue of different individual softsynths, and a total of presets by all third parties per softsynth that back up your claims?

The softsynths in GarageBand have a decent install base...

The only synth used for this tune is Massive X:

https://open.spotify.com/album/63HD57DvyKVZtyhK7rYE1X
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

SLiC wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:13 pm
anomandaris1 wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:42 pm
Well, original Massive, Sylenth1 and Omnisphere 2, and Zebra, and Spire also have tons of preset banks for them. About how used and popular is something - this is very speculative (probably stock DAW synths and some freewares like Synth1 and similar see more use than various big name synths)
Serum is certainly quite popular (and rightly so) with a certain types of music, it sounds good and is one of the easiest VSTi's to use -but we are talking about a niche here- the reality is Serum is probably on 0.00000000001% of stuff that charts excluding DeadMouse5 ;-)
I'd argue the percentage is significant. What is however ignored, is that most chart-topping stuff isn't exactly awfully experimental. The difference between Massive X and Serum is rather miniscule if you don't even use most of their features and you're talking about a userbase which consists of mostly people who could as well just use a rompler for all they cared.

Popularity isn't an useless meter, but if it's the only meter one has to go by, then that person is just as clueless as the next guy.

EvilDragon mentioned it thousands of times: all you have to do is demo Massive X and see if it suits your needs. The demo is fully functional. And I'm personally really happy that they decided not to pander exclusively to the EDM kids with Massive X, because we've lately got a whole lot of synths that do little if anything special and they all pander to that one crowd that wants cookiecutter stuff.

Sorry for the stupid question, but, is there any way to set up something like a MSEG in Massive X? I just don't find it, I also tried the performers, and the trackers, but, they don't seem to do the same as MSEG's.

chk071 wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:09 pm Sorry for the stupid question, but, is there any way to set up something like a MSEG in Massive X? I just don't find it, I also tried the performers, and the trackers, but, they don't seem to do the same as MSEG's.
How exactly are you not finding the performers to be like an MSEG? That is how I am using them.

It could well have to do with me not properly understanding what they do. :D

I'll check them out. I might even take a look at the manual this time. ;) IIRC, I couldn't make them trigger on played notes, but, again, probably did something wrong.

chk071 wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:09 pm Sorry for the stupid question, but, is there any way to set up something like a MSEG in Massive X? I just don't find it, I also tried the performers, and the trackers, but, they don't seem to do the same as MSEG's.
You can trigger the perfomers by note on and set them in an one-shot mode. I think it's more or less the same as Msegs
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Nice, thanks for that. I'll check it out.

chk071 wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:20 pm It could well have to do with me not properly understanding what they do. :D

I'll check them out. I might even take a look at the manual this time. ;) IIRC, I couldn't make them trigger on played notes, but, again, probably did something wrong.
I’ve made it a habit of taking time to just sit down with the manual and go through the sections of the synth. It’s not the best manual out there (especially compared to the Pigments manual), but it really helps understand the complexity and depth of MX, especially with the use of the different modes, and which wavetables are best suited for them, the insert effects, and as you need, the modulators.

The switch is well hidden though :)

I think it's page 108 of the manual
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

:tu:

I'm reading the section about the performers right now. I think what simply confused me was the section where you can set the note lengths, and I thought that you couldn't use it in note trigger, one shot mode. Thought it was free/always running.

Edit: OK, figured it out, after a bit of testing myself (I couldn't find it in the manual...): You need to click on the step/pattern/keyboard/whatever symbol left of the performer tabs, and then set Launch to Key and Mode to Loop or One shot in the upper section which opens. Still need a lot to learn about this synth...

And, i still have to figure out how to polyphonically trigger the performers, if that's even possible.

chk071 wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:28 pm
And, i still have to figure out how to polyphonically trigger the performers, if that's even possible.
unfortunately that is not possible

Ah... shame. Thanks anyway.

Return to “Instruments”