Opinions on MassiveX

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Massive Massive X Zebra

Last edited by Vortifex on Mon May 17, 2021 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SLiC wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:46 am I think one of the problems with MX is just it is now being compared with some recently updated and highly developed WT synths like Icarus 2 and Pigments 2, both have had the kitchen sink thrown at them and include MPE etc. All good for the user (especially free major updates like P2) but must be really hard for developers to keep up...
I don't know about Icarus, but I can say that Massive X stands just fine against Pigments. Lack of MPE is a thing, but let's face it - most people who use synths for music production do not utilize MPE to a significant effect and it's obvious even in the music that is being released.

Pigments in particular has those Arturia filters which, while they sound really good up to a point, they sound like plastic once you up the resonance. I haven't tested Pigments 2 yet so I don't know whenever the filters have better models now. I can see that they do have FM now, so that's good (I can't stand modern synths that have no filter FM, there's just no excuse)

Personally, I like to think that we get a somewhat good picture of how capable synths are by looking at who makes presets for them. There's a reason why Luftrum, Richard Devine et al have never made presets for Serum. And while it remains speculation for now, I suspect that we will be seeing far bigger names for Massive X preset developers than we will for Pigments or Serum. (I don't count it when Richard Devine made factory presets for MX; NI likely hired him to do that in the first place)

It can be argued that something like Icarus won't get big names as preset makers since it is relatively obscure synth (as funny as that sounds). But something like Serum? It has the largest userbase currently I believe.

EvilDragon wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:42 pm I'm not at all a fan of Pigments UI...
Seconded. The UI doesn't bother me because I don't throw a hissyfit about pointless things, but I question anyone who is calling it the dream. It doesn't even have direct drag & drop modulation. They were smart enough to implement at least that into Serum. Although accessing different modulators with same parameter in Serum isn't as easy either, but their implementation has far less limits to amount of modulators for any given parameter as a consequence (not that you'd really use that many modulators). Same goes for Pigments when it comes to amount of modulators, but navigating between them is even worse.

Having things visually spinning around knobs in somewhat realtime vs. having easy, dead simple drag & drop modulation from original Massive? It's kind of obvious choice for me.

Functional wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:48 am
SLiC wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:46 am I think one of the problems with MX is just it is now being compared with some recently updated and highly developed WT synths like Icarus 2 and Pigments 2, both have had the kitchen sink thrown at them and include MPE etc. All good for the user (especially free major updates like P2) but must be really hard for developers to keep up...
I don't know about Icarus, but I can say that Massive X stands just fine against Pigments. Lack of MPE is a thing, but let's face it - most people who use synths for music production do not utilize MPE to a significant effect and it's obvious even in the music that is being released.

Pigments in particular has those Arturia filters which, while they sound really good up to a point, they sound like plastic once you up the resonance. I haven't tested Pigments 2 yet so I don't know whenever the filters have better models now. I can see that they do have FM now, so that's good (I can't stand modern synths that have no filter FM, there's just no excuse)

Personally, I like to think that we get a somewhat good picture of how capable synths are by looking at who makes presets for them. There's a reason why Luftrum, Richard Devine et al have never made presets for Serum. And while it remains speculation for now, I suspect that we will be seeing far bigger names for Massive X preset developers than we will for Pigments or Serum. (I don't count it when Richard Devine made factory presets for MX; NI likely hired him to do that in the first place)

It can be argued that something like Icarus won't get big names as preset makers since it is relatively obscure synth (as funny as that sounds). But something like Serum? It has the largest userbase currently I believe.
i want to explore the added low pass gate , which along w/ the wave-folding , should expand on the range of timbres pigments will put out ...

The sound is great, but I don't like the look. Also not from the new themes in the update. The used colors for modulation look strange too. It looks like it want to be a fancy UI, but it is not well to use for me. I miss the days when developers cared more about a good working design than a fancy one.
Massive 1 is old school looking and doesn't sound as good, but it works a lot better for me.

midi_transmission wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:08 am The sound is great, but I don't like the look. Also not from the new themes in the update. The used colors for modulation look strange too. It looks like it want to be a fancy UI, but it is not well to use for me. I miss the days when developers cared more about a good working design than a fany one.
Massive 1 is ugly and doesn't sound as good, but it works a lot better for me.
some of us like the look of MX. but this seems sad: "Massive 1 is ugly and doesn't sound as good, but it works a lot better for me". personally, i use a synth plugin to make music, and the sound is more important than the look, any day...

When I tweak patches some hours the look becomes important again. I don't need something beautiful looking, just something that works well for the human eye. A lot of modern UIs try to be fancy and beautiful, but this comes often at the cost that the look polarises. Some like it, some hate it. I prefere ok looking and working for everyone.

It's the same in web design. Often the readability seems not so important any more. I's often only about the look nowadays.

fisherKing wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:16 am
midi_transmission wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:08 am The sound is great, but I don't like the look. Also not from the new themes in the update. The used colors for modulation look strange too. It looks like it want to be a fancy UI, but it is not well to use for me. I miss the days when developers cared more about a good working design than a fany one.
Massive 1 is ugly and doesn't sound as good, but it works a lot better for me.
some of us like the look of MX. but this seems sad: "Massive 1 is ugly and doesn't sound as good, but it works a lot better for me". personally, i use a synth plugin to make music, and the sound is more important than the look, any day...
Yeah, it definitely seems like the sound is the least important aspect of a synthesizer for some people. Weird.

midi_transmission wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:21 amIt's the same in web design. Often the readability seems not so important any more. I's often only about the look nowadays.
Good point, referring to the difference between marketing (=good looking) and getting things done (=straightforward approach).

Personally, I like Massive's look. It's enormously sexy. But I don't use Massive - because I don't own it. Therefore I'm free to talk like a third person.

experimental.crow wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:24 am i want to explore the added low pass gate , which along w/ the wave-folding , should expand on the range of timbres pigments will put out ...
Yeah, it might be worthwhile thing. But I'd still wish Arturia would up their regular filter game even if the LPG is good. They got so many interesting analog emulation products but every time I've given them a shot, the damn filters start bothering me. Although they're 100% viable and I'd imagine very suitable for most purposes out there. It's just me that likes upping the resonance.

perpetual3 wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:27 am
Yeah, it definitely seems like the sound is the least important aspect of a synthesizer for some people. Weird.
Every synth sounds good these days... the quality is all quite high.

For some people, any of dozens of synths might be plenty good enough and at that point, workflow, available presets, etc. might be the deciding factor.

pdxindy wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:09 am
perpetual3 wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:27 am
Every synth sounds good these days... the quality is all quite high.

For some people, any of dozens of synths might be plenty good enough and at that point, workflow, available presets, etc. might be the deciding factor.
Guess we need more synths that look and sound like all the synths we already have, because what's the point right?

I’ve said it before, and since this is an opinions thread, I’ll repeat.

MX is the only software / digital synthesizer I’ve ever demoed where, within minutes I felt that “had to have it feeling.” That’s how much the sound affected me. And I’ve been in this game for over two decades.

As a side effect, it has nearly killed my GAS for synth plugins. Certain niche synths still peak my interest, like Plogues Chipsounds series. But I feel like I have years to go with MX so even if another soft synth has more features or whatever, MX core sound has scratched that itch.

Yes I agree that MX killed my GAS for another wavetable synth.

Still I have a little bit of GAS for DX7 and CZ emulations (maybe Arturia in the next discount!).

EnGee wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:52 am Yes I agree that MX killed my GAS for another wavetable synth.

Still I have a little bit of GAS for DX7 and CZ emulations (maybe Arturia in the next discount!).
Yeah, I’m kind of in the same place. Niche synths. I for one love the Plogue Chipsound synths.

Return to “Instruments”