Opinions on MassiveX

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Massive Massive X Zebra

Hi guys,
MX is available for a while now, and I would like some impressions from people who have been using it.
Currently it has a pretty sweet crossgrade offer at NI site, so Im looking at this option.
I tried the demo, however didnt really delve into it.
How is it resource-wise? And how is it in comparison to the original one?
Also, for those who have both MassiveX and Synthmaster2 (also has a sweet discount at the moment), how would you compare the two?

Demo the plugins is always a solid advice, however I would like to get an opinion or two from other people with different hearing abilities.

Thank you.

It may be somewhat CPU hungry but the sound quality justifies it. Various people may have different complaints, mostly about the GUI and the preset browser but in my case it doesn't seriously affect the useablility.

Overall i think it's one of the best sounding softsynths. It has great sounding filters, great sounding distortions, great sounding audio rate modulation. Seems to be somewhat rare comination of really nice sound and great felexibility (it's essentially semi-modular, you can route things in very interesting ways). It's very good for various trippy/ski-fi sounds and textures but you can do "normal" soudns too, all with great sound quality.

Short demo of various psytrance sounds I made in MX. Only the drums are not MX, no external processing except for basic hipassing
https://vocaroo.com/6mEwDPIkUfM
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Massive X has convinced me I don't really like digital synths. Everyone agrees it sounds great, yet I don't like it. Or the original. Or (audible intake of breath) Zebra. So I'm a heretic, basically - I like warm and subtractive, clearly. But if you liked the original, I guess this is sonicaly superior and has good new tricks.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

MassiveX is a very uninspiring synth, the UI is a mess, demo it and you'll get in a seconds why it didn't reach success.

noiseboyuk wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:01 pm Massive X has convinced me I don't really like digital synths. Everyone agrees it sounds great, yet I don't like it. Or the original. Or (audible intake of breath) Zebra. So I'm a heretic, basically - I like warm and subtractive, clearly. But if you liked the original, I guess this is sonicaly superior and has good new tricks.
there is many many outstanding VST, on a wide sound range from clinical to dirty, don't judge digital synths from your MassiveX opinion.

I demo'd Massive X when it was released. Found the sound kind of thin/digital/flat, though it impressed me as having a lot of really good modulation capabilities. Overall found it uninteresting and a marketing hype-job.
A well-behaved signature.

drdriller wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:05 pm
noiseboyuk wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:01 pm Massive X has convinced me I don't really like digital synths. Everyone agrees it sounds great, yet I don't like it. Or the original. Or (audible intake of breath) Zebra. So I'm a heretic, basically - I like warm and subtractive, clearly. But if you liked the original, I guess this is sonicaly superior and has good new tricks.
there is many many outstanding VST, on a wide sound range from clinical to dirty, don't judge digital synths from your MassiveX opinion.
But not liking Zebra too?!

Well, I'm OK with Avenger I guess. Sorry, dragging it off topic, carry on everyone.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

It has a certain sound and a good filter. But so do a lot of other synths. The UI is pretty messy though.
Takes a lot of cpu. It has a semi modular architecture but can't really cash in on that as the available 'slots' are quite limited. You can only have 1 resonant filter for example.

My conclusion: if you really need that sound, you can go for it. Otherwise don't bother.

recursive one wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:53 pmOverall i think it's one of the best sounding softsynths. It has great sounding filters, great sounding distortions, great sounding audio rate modulation.
I also really love the noise section...and the gui :shrug:

noiseboyuk wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:17 pm
drdriller wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:05 pm
But not liking Zebra too?!

Well, I'm OK with Avenger I guess. Sorry, dragging it off topic, carry on everyone.
But I thought you liked Omnisphere. That's pretty digital.

Last edited by Vortifex on Mon May 17, 2021 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Behringer Mazzive Z will probably be their first VST clone.

I like Massive X. Although it is clear they had to release it in an infant state.
I think it will grow over time.
Last edited by FotoxBr on Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I think its GUI gorgeous. Besides, MX has an excelent workflow. Given all its capabilites, it's still not difficult at all. They did a great job IMHO.

It's funny how opinions can differ...

I really like this synth : the combination of advanced wavetable OSCs, Phase Modulation and free routings is what sold me on Massive X. Excellent sound engine, really versatile and high quality effects. The new flat GUI is beautiful and functional, my workflow with MX is pretty fast. But bear in mind that it is a sound designer synth so if you just browse presets and you are not willing to spend some time making your own patches then you will not realise how powerful this synth is.
Last edited by sinemotor on Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Behringer Bassive B will probably be their first VST clone.
FTFY
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

Return to “Instruments”