Softsynth similar to Pulse 2?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is there any software alternative to Waldorf Pulse 2? Fast envelopes, punchy, sharp and precise basses? I have Bass Station 2 and Evolver but they are not as good for basses as Pulse is. BS2 is good for funky and farty basses but not really for sharp and resonating basses.

Dunno about soft synths, but, there's the Waldorf Rocket which has a analog filter, and doesn't cost much more than a soft synth: https://www.musicstore.de/de_DE/EUR/Wal ... NQQAvD_BwE

I own a Pulse+ and nothing can replace it so far. But I like to use Largo as my virtual Pulse, not the same but got some of the vibe. The other is BeepStreet Dagger.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

What about Reaktor 6? It has tons of oscillators and filters (Blocks). If you want polyphony maybe Super 8.

Diva also has OB oscillator and filter (don't remember which) but it makes punchy sounds.

No, analog synths are light years away from software.

roman.i wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:57 pm No, analog synths are light years away from software.
I don't think so for music making, but yes maybe for analysis and comparing. The only thing with analog synth is we don't care about aliasing, but some soft synths these days could eliminate most of it :)

roman.i wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:57 pm No, analog synths are light years away from software.
how many light years?

Many
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

EnGee wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:09 pm I don't think so for music making, but yes maybe for analysis and comparing. The only thing with analog synth is we don't care about aliasing, but some soft synths these days could eliminate most of it :)
Everyone loves to talk about aliasing because it's easy, it's math, we can measure it. But no one talks about software synths sound unnatural. While most people on the internet talking about this topic never had an analog synth in their hands. These who have an analog synth know how they sound, this really pops up when we push them to extreme modulation, the electricity "screaming" to get out. There is nothing close to this in software world. Because what we hear in analog synths is coming from the nature, it sounds appealing to our ears and it has a natural variation in the sound, but the software in it's basic algorithms sounds awful, clinically dead, like comparing a toy guitar with a real one. For software synth it's really hard to emulate this behaviour, and ones that had some degree of success in doing that are still used until today as most popular synths even they were released more than ten years ago. So in terms of sound in software we are still "light years" from the natural sound.

This one sounds very metallic and strong like Pulse 2 :)
http://rinki.net/pekka/mausynth/

Weird call maybe, but Omnisphere has a great bass element to soinds. I own a Pulse 2 but if I wasn't using it for bass I'd use Omni these days. But almost the same price as HW, I know, I know.

Yes, light years behind...; - )
Unless they just host software (the better ones do...)
roman.i wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:15 am Everyone loves to talk about aliasing because it's easy, it's math, we can measure it. But no one talks about software synths sound unnatural. While most people on the internet talking about this topic never had an analog synth in their hands. These who have an analog synth know how they sound, this really pops up when we push them to extreme modulation, the electricity "screaming" to get out. There is nothing close to this in software world. Because what we hear in analog synths is coming from the nature, it sounds appealing to our ears and it has a natural variation in the sound, but the software in it's basic algorithms sounds awful, clinically dead, like comparing a toy guitar with a real one. For software synth it's really hard to emulate this behaviour, and ones that had some degree of success in doing that are still used until today as most popular synths even they were released more than ten years ago. So in terms of sound in software we are still "light years" from the natural sound.
This reads as if it wants to be an explanation, but it isn’t. I would really like to know why analog is often preferred.
My theory and experience is, that it has more to do with direct hands-on behavior, and inspiring user interfaces than with sound. Its how you as a human being interact with an instrument. It lets you focus better on sculpting sound than having a concept in your mind that needs to be translated into actions...
Whenever I play an MPE enhanced sound with my LinnStrument and compare it to the same sound played with just a keyboard, the difference in sound jumps right up, though its the same patch. One is alive, the other dead boring... (No matter how much life you want to put into it with lfos and other automatic modulation)

It has to do both with hands-on behavior AND sound. It's true that analog is much better with extreme modulation. Even in virtual modulars you still have a one sample delay for feedback routings that's just not there (well, in theory it is, but it's at a such a minuscule level you don't notice it - but you do notice the difference between it and the much longer one sample delay in software) in an actual modular synth, and this DOES make a difference.

its been a few weeks since you wrote
Finally, I came to conclusion that a pure analog synth is more a toy than a workhorse device. I can be a nice touch to a track to add one sound per analog synth, but that's it. So, I was wondering how others incorporate analog synths into their workflow.
much seems to have changed.

vurt wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:11 pm much seems to have changed.
Don't see anything controversial in my statement. The OP asks specifically about the sound, and sound wise pure analog synth is much more satisfying.
In my case, I bought synths without noticing the workflow disadvantages, but sound wise they are awesome.

Return to “Instruments”