One Synth Challenge #129: Lith by Soda Devices (TheNeverScene Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Lith

Aliasing, polyphonic long release patches not being cpu optimized and preset bugs like patch recall crashes, hmm where have I heard this before?

Lith is brilliantly designed; the minimalist interface with darkmode, abundance of instant-access modulation, stereo routing, and of course, the big one, full featured envelope curve adjustment!- makes this instrument outstanding.

Ofc, my same desires apply to this as they do to all synths which are this full featured; greater unison spread capability, bezier envelopes, multiband overdrive, stereo delay, and an impulse response loader with eq, decay and width control. :lol:

In the real world, there are choruses, envelope modulators and filters, hy mbmfx free, and specialized IR loaders etc. Someday, someone will make a synth like Lith that simply has all of that in a convenient single page gui.
quick, _ake what you want in life

Voted.

Voted! Feels like the overall quality level wasn’t as great as last month, maybe the Lith bugs made people bail out? There were a handful of really impressive examples of sound design though!

ilmai wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:23 pm Voted! Feels like the overall quality level wasn’t as great as last month, maybe the Lith bugs made people bail out? There were a handful of really impressive examples of sound design though!
The CPU issues and other little hassles did make it feel like drawing with an etch-a-sketch sometimes; so I totally get why there weren't that many entries this month.

I do really like what Lith is capable of being though. Along with the little hangups in its current state, there are also some really great and fresh ideas that could (and I think will) lead to it being a great synth in the future. I have to give the developer a lot of credit for what they are doing with this one.

Local Man wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:56 pm I do really like what Lith is capable of being though. Along with the little hangups in its current state, there are also some really great and fresh ideas that could (and I think will) lead to it being a great synth in the future. I have to give the developer a lot of credit for what they are doing with this one.
Definitely agreed, Lith feels like a great unpolished diamond lurking under the bugs and clumsy interface. It can sound awesome, especially with FM.

Although I found an area where Lith was working with my weak CPU I didn't made it in time. My track was barely getting main theme done. With some more time spent it would be possible to finish the track... maybe one day I'll finish it. But now I want to focus on next-one because I just want to be back in game :D ( I'll try to go through voting routine for this round though)
YT | SC | FB | IG | earror :ud: KO :ud:

574X wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:30 aman impulse response loader with eq, decay and width control.
Are you referring to convolution? Or something different? Are there any examples you could point out? Cheers!

z.prime wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:05 am"Are you referring to convolution? Or something different? Are there any examples you could point out? Cheers!"
Well thanks for the interest z'. Yes, convolution.
Convology XT has my favorite tools for the job with the scale and predelay. (However, I don't use it because of the acquisition process. I've coined this "PITA-Ware")
Whereas, one of the standard cabinet emulators, NADIR has a couple versions (unfortunately this has also been converted to PITA-Ware) which offer mixing of two impulses, because of how it's standard to use 2 mics on guitar speakers, or two cabs/amps. Furthermore, we are often listening to a combination of room and plate reverb in classic recordings, on drums for example...

The analog style eq seems better suited for this, such as the 3 band that Orilriver offers, where the outer bands become highpass and lowpass filters at their full cut setting.

For those interested, the theory behind this is that we usually want the reverb to be completely out of the way, which means mixing it with the instrument itself, keeping it contained. It's similar to why you wouldn't simply put reverb on the master, or why some analog mixing engineers had said things like "no reverb on the bass guitar," because if you simply sent those frequencies to a reverb bus, you'd have a variety of obfuscating interactions to contend with.

Lastly, we often see people using dimension expander (try small size, high mix) or other comb techniques to introduce what I consider to be a stereo room tone which disappears in the mono mix. A very short room impulse response with enhanced width is more effective, realistic, controllable, less fatiguing, and for me, just what the doctor ordered in this digital production age.
quick, _ake what you want in life

I had a great time with Lith.

I have a track 3/4 completed and the only reason its not finished yet is that I need more time to develop the idea. I invested quite a lot of time in it and will definitely finish it for myself.

I found Lith to be very stable, once a couple of initial issues had been ironed out by the very helpful developer. It is quirky, but in ways that also make it very versatile and pretty easy to use. The envelopes and modulations in particular have great flexibility, making expressive sounds, and the visual feedback with the waveforms is a huge plus.

It is CPU intensive for sure, but this synth is a keeper for me. Many thanks to SodaDevices, and keep up the good work :tu:

Voted

574X wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:44 amWell thanks for the interest z'. Yes, convolution. ...
Thanks for the elaboration! :) So, basically a stereo convolution engine with useful EQ and length + stereo width controls? Cheers!

Thank you very much for choosing Lith to OSC this time, and for a lot of advice.
I'd like to thank all the people who have expected and appreciated the future in spite of immature software.

I'm particularly challenging to improve CPU usage now.
Also planning to improve the interface.
Of course, micro tuning and many other things.
I hope to distribute more improved Lith to everyone.

Thank you for your time, I will also enjoy the voting time :D

Voted.
SodaDevices wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:14 pm Thank you very much for choosing Lith to OSC this time, and for a lot of advice.
I'd like to thank all the people who have expected and appreciated the future in spite of immature software.
And thank you.
I'm particularly challenging to improve CPU usage now.
Also planning to improve the interface.
Of course, micro tuning and many other things.
I hope to distribute more improved Lith to everyone.
I don't know if anyone's mentioned this yet, but the main annoyance I had with the interface was that it was difficult to see what the exact values of some of the parameters were. The curve parameters in the modulation panels in particular don't seem to pop up a value when you click them, until you move the mouse. Double-clicking them to edit is giving me an empty field, too, rather than initializing it to the current value. This doesn't seem to be a problem with the controls on the main panel, just the modulation panels.
Celebrating 50 years of pants with frogs in them

Voted!

I enjoyed the experimental feel of everything this round - possibly a new favorite for me as a listener.
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

FrogsInPants wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:09 pm I don't know if anyone's mentioned this yet, but the main annoyance I had with the interface was that it was difficult to see what the exact values of some of the parameters were. The curve parameters in the modulation panels in particular don't seem to pop up a value when you click them, until you move the mouse. Double-clicking them to edit is giving me an empty field, too, rather than initializing it to the current value. This doesn't seem to be a problem with the controls on the main panel, just the modulation panels.
Grasp the problem you mentioned,
I added to task list.
Thank you.

Return to “Instruments”