Soundspot Union Wavetable Synth out today

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYuQOC5_SgM

Intro price 95% off.

https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... 5824-Union

Not hearing anything that appeals to me but it's very cheap.
Pastoral, Kosmiche, Ambient Music https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/
Experimental Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

maybe this a new strategy in a saturated market where everything has already been done - make a modest bread and butter synth, and sell more units at rock bottom price (I say that before having tried it but it does seem to be a trend lately)
THIS IS MY MUSIC: http://spoti.fi/45P2xls :phones:

UK intro price: £5.99. Now that's aggressive, even for a limited synth.

Cheap it's the new free
12 years old PC running :Reaper;Reason;Dune;Zampler;Kontakr;Reaktor;and many others countless vst :D

It is like IOS apps without the Apple fees ????

How good is this synth ?

Trying the demo I don't think it's a bad synth at all. Nothing special but it has a nice solid character. Wavetables seem a bit limited although I may just need to spend more time with it.

But it's hard to say anything bad about a $7.99 synth. I could see picking it up just to entertain yourself for an afternoon and may do so.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Doesn't sound too bad judging the videos. Have heard much more expensive ones sounding a lot worse.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

I bought this directly off the Soundspot site for like, $6.40 (with a 20% off discount code: DONTGO20).

It has a few issues.. no actual bugs (that I'm aware of), and some really weird design choices IMO.

The two main issues I have:
-Absolutely no velocity (or mod wheel) control settings, for anything, anywhere.. that I can find.
-Extreme CPU hog. Click through a few presets to see what I mean.

With no velocity settings, it feels and sounds like some digital synth.. out of the mid-80's (ex: KORG Poly-800, Yamaha DX100, etc...)

The Wavetable creation thing is really cool, once you figure out how it works.

Basically: set up OSC's 1 & 2 however you want, then route them through the top phaser, delay, distortion & reverb modules. Click "Generate Wavetable" and it will create a somewhat random evolving wavetable based on your settings, and load it into the 3rd OSC.

This is great and all, but.. there really needs to be a way to actually save that generated 3rd wavetable. If you accidentally click on the "Generate Wavetable" button again, you'll lose all the work you may have put in with the original top section setup.

What would have been REALLY cool, is if they had designed it so that you could just generate wavetables, and then slot them in up to, say.. three different OSC's, with the current funtionality (plus velocity and mod wheel settings :P ).

Anyway.. for $6, I won't complain (too much). But it really needs some expressive behavior, beyond just setting up some cold, looping LFO or ADSR.
Last edited by progtronic on Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

What’s it with soundspot and doing stupidly low deals?
I mean it almost comes off as desperate and makes me Question the quality of the product.

On the other hand they make Stunning UIs. I love the UI’s.
Remind me a bit of FabFilter.
The post above this is likely bait, viewer discretion is advised.

UI is great, but it's lacking some things. For example detuning a simple saw. Also the routing options aren't clear, for example if you click on fine tuning for modulation, you don't know which modulation you're setting up to it. But for the money it is a good synth. Also some nice presets. This synth could be a monster if they put in some work.

progtronic wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:48 pm With no velocity settings, it feels and sounds like some digital synth.. out of the mid-80's (ex: KORG Poly-800, Yamaha DX100, etc...)
Yeah, that's a HUGE limitation for me. When trying out presets I always check for velocity and AT response and give the mod wheel a wiggle. Without those features (especially velocity), I'm not sure I'd even buy this for $6.40. Using it would mean actually automating the parameters (if that's even possible) for parts where you want it to be quieter, darker etc.

AdvancedFollower wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:34 pm Yeah, that's a HUGE limitation for me. When trying out presets I always check for velocity and AT response and give the mod wheel a wiggle. Without those features (especially velocity), I'm not sure I'd even buy this for $6.40. Using it would mean actually automating the parameters (if that's even possible) for parts where you want it to be quieter, darker etc.
At least, in Studio One.. it looks like you can automate almost everything. Still.. a PITA to have to automate stuff that should just be a standard on any modern synth.

I'm buying it just because of the UI. I love Soundspot's UIs, although a lot of their plugins are very hit and miss. They seem to release a lot of stuff that's only half finished and their preset handling is somewhat random. If this doesn't have velocity response, it will severely limit it's usefulness but for under $10 it is bound to be useful for something.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Am I getting it right? The filter sits at the end of the FX chain?

Return to “Instruments”