Realistic Classic Rock Virtual Instruments

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

haskins02 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:48 am So much good information! You’re light years ahead of the other forum’s responses on this topic. Thanks again. My planned budget on virtual instruments was originally around $400 but it seems I need to go higher. I checked out NI products. It appears that Komplete 12 is what I need ($600) since Select does not have guitars, strings or horns. I think I’ll be happy with Komplete 12 except for the lack of electric guitar. So, thanks to your advice, I checked out Orange Tree guitar samples and it appears that their “Evolution Strawberry” is exactly what I need (another $179 - oh well).
Don’t pay full price for anything. Wait for the sales.

I’ve had good results using Abbey Road drummers, 60s and 70s, real strat, real lpc, trilian for bass. After that there’s any number of piano, el piano, Hammond to choose. I usually go NI or Arturia. Horns require the most work as it’s best to arrange them as separate solo instruments.

As important as the source instruments is how they’re processed. Personally I rely on UAD, but everyone’s got a different set of go to tools.

Best advice I can give about working from midi files is strip out all of the unnecessary controllers and correct the note errors prior to producing the sounds. You will need to adjust velocities and note lengths too. However, it’s still quicker than building from scratch.

RealLPC, now updated to version 5:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h6QdPjSMQ8

For Rhodes and Wurli sounds I I use both Gospel Musicians Neo-Soul Keys and Keyscape for live playing. They both sound great in a live context.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:50 pm RealLPC, now updated to version 5:

I'm trying to decide if I should upgrade but I'm really not seeing a huge difference between 4 and 5 after watching the videos.

wagtunes wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:17 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:50 pm RealLPC, now updated to version 5:

I'm trying to decide if I should upgrade but I'm really not seeing a huge difference between 4 and 5 after watching the videos.
NEW REALLPC GUITAR SAMPLE SET

High quality 24-bit samples, recorded directly from Neck and Bridge pickups individually
3 real-time pickup selections giving you the exciting tonal options
Standard and Baritone guitar tunings
Backward compatible with previous versions of RealLPC

NEW MULTI PERFORMANCE MODE

Combining various guitar techniques (strumming, soloing, string picking, etc.) in a single performance layout
25 new Key Switch FXs in chordal modes
Velocity controllable number of strings in strummed chords
Live control of solo and strum techniques
Live control of chord inversions/positions
Free voices leading in strummed chords
Hammer-Ons and Pull-Offs in chords
Slider (Bottleneck) guitar emulation
Numerous performance options, effects, and their combinations

NEW USABILITY FEATURES

Advanced Velocity Curve control
Resizable GUI (zoom 80/100/120/150/200%)
Internal Loop in Song mode
Drag and Drop Song events (chords and patterns) to DAW MIDI track
Use of DAW MIDI track to edit and playback Song events directly to Song mode window
Hold Pedal on virtual keyboard
Pitch Wheel and Mod. Wheel MIDI activity indicators

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:24 pm
wagtunes wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:17 pm

NEW REALLPC GUITAR SAMPLE SET

High quality 24-bit samples, recorded directly from Neck and Bridge pickups individually
3 real-time pickup selections giving you the exciting tonal options
Standard and Baritone guitar tunings
Backward compatible with previous versions of RealLPC

NEW MULTI PERFORMANCE MODE

Combining various guitar techniques (strumming, soloing, string picking, etc.) in a single performance layout
25 new Key Switch FXs in chordal modes
Velocity controllable number of strings in strummed chords
Live control of solo and strum techniques
Live control of chord inversions/positions
Free voices leading in strummed chords
Hammer-Ons and Pull-Offs in chords
Slider (Bottleneck) guitar emulation
Numerous performance options, effects, and their combinations

NEW USABILITY FEATURES

Advanced Velocity Curve control
Resizable GUI (zoom 80/100/120/150/200%)
Internal Loop in Song mode
Drag and Drop Song events (chords and patterns) to DAW MIDI track
Use of DAW MIDI track to edit and playback Song events directly to Song mode window
Hold Pedal on virtual keyboard
Pitch Wheel and Mod. Wheel MIDI activity indicators
This is all well and good, but how does this translate into how much more realistic 5 is going to sound over 4. Specs don't tell me that.

€49 will though. I’m in.

Return to “Instruments”