One Synth Challenge #128: OB-Xd from discoDSP (mmGhost wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Feel better, pick what you can enjoy and don't worry about a thing regarding the music! You will feel it, when you wish to get at it anyway. Sometimes I find myself fighting the feeling for a bit too long, but then it's almost extra sweet to finally make music again. Even if it takes a moment to warm up properly, but it's such pure joy. That's an itch that can only be scratched one way...

Not sure, if that's a bit much to tell here, but- heck- why not: Two months ago, I think, after a long time not making music again, I even had a dream where I was playing on a curious piano with a strange switch. Some guy was sitting next to me on the seat in front of the piano, while another was standing beside it. I asked the one next to me what that switch was called again and he'd smile at me, saying: "facanto" and started laughing sympathetically. The other guy repeated it and joined in laughing happily. I had no idea what it meant. So I woke up and immediately googled it. It is Galician and means "doing so"... as in: "Just do it!". I mean, I've never heard that word, nor the language, but two beings in my dream tell me to just make music. :shrug: ... Loved it! :hyper:

schiing wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:30 pm IIn other news, my entry was starting to get on my nerves, so I have pulled out of the competition.
I feel the same and am not happy with what I'm coming up with, but I'll still keep at it and will post something no matter what. I consider this a challenge and not so much a competition.

Although OBX for it's time was great synth, the limitations compared to modern, more more modular style synths is driving me crazy. Everything I do tends to have a lot of that generic OBX sound that was so popular in the day.

I'll keep working on it though.

A bunch of versions of my project are inaccessible now. Ableton say, "A serous program error has occurred." It's frustrating, as I can't recall how I made two sounds I really liked--one sounded like a synth Lorn uses, and one sounded like bagpipes. In my mind it was going to be awesome, but in reality it was probably going to be as disparate and poorly mixed as my previous entries, ha. I reported the crash to Ableton's automated system, but who knows if that will get any results.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Good to hear it, guys. Yeah, I agree mclstr, it's definitely more about the challenge than the competition. But I always feel like a bit of a fraud accepting praise for something I can't defend in the voting process. I've done that a couple of times, and it's not such a great feeling. And I don't want to bash my work when people say nice things about it, either!

No worries about me, though, Taron! Despite some other limitations in life, I live and breathe music 24/7 and I'm composing like there's no tomorrow. Even in my dreams! I finished 6 tunes in the last week, and just uploaded a new album to Spotify :D
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

Dayum, I had no idea you were so prolific with composing, but I should've guessed...explains a lot. I should go check'em out!
One day I may devote proper time to music...I've always kept it a refuge of sorts, never quite allowed myself to think of it in any "productive" sense. Maybe that will never happen, almost wish it won't, regarding "commercial" aspects, but I wouldn't mind losing myself in music for a few years or so. When the time comes...

Yeah, in some ways I'd wish I'd taken my chances with a musical path when I was young, instead of always playing it "safe" and choosing the most "comfortable" option at every crossroads. I was always too fond of, I don't know, a nice apartment with decent furniture and internet, money in the bank, stability, convenience. Plus, I never really thought I had the talent to cut it - still don't. So I never did quit my job to move to a shared apartment in a large city, taking up an insane loan to buy a Neumann, a JV-1080, Space Echo or an RD-something :) But I'm not so sure I envy guys and gals at our own age who spend their lives working under deadlines and commercial pressure in music now.

It takes a lot of confidence to try and make a living in music, though, and I have the deepest respect for anyone who chooses to do so - successfully or unsuccessfully.

For myself, I'm privileged now in the sense that I can devote time to music whenever I have the energy to do so without being worried about a lot of other obligations (or about the quality of my output, for that matter!) - my main issue is that I have so very little of it (the energy).
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

JV-1080? I have one! How embarrassing... :oops: ...yeah, dang, I literally forgot I did, haha! It's in the garage and hasn't been plugged in for, hmmm, holy shit (sorry), 20+ years. Oh man. None of my synths have, not even my modified Prodigy...grrrrr...now I'm getting lost in my own misery, haha. :bang:

Love, faith, trust, this is us, putting our piece of heaven into Earth, but you know where I'm at with all that. Just don't let anyone lure you into their trap for reasons you've missed to recognize. :borg:

Wise words, my friend.

Haha, no worries! I was just trying to find some appropriate symbol for the early-to-mid '90s. Hey, your garage sounds like an interesting place! I only have some very boring stuff from that period - proper to my then-lack of commitment, I guess ;)

So...I'm doodling around with this thing and this happens:
One Single Instance of OBXd...(+ some reverb)
https://soundcloud.com/taronium/obxd-onesound/s-j41YB

Nice dynamics T!!! And Terje, yes making a living in music is very very hard. My daughter teaches piano, flute, clarinet, saxophone and singing, and has nearly 100 students, from 4-60 years old! One of her 10 year olds is about to take ABRSM grade 8 piano! An awesome achievement!! Plays Schubert from memory, and loves it … one to watch we think. Keeping track of each person takes a lot of admin, and just buying the books for them (they pay for them after they get them!!) takes a lot of cashflow! Usually around £1000 a few times a year! Music shop likes her, a lot!

She works 9am to 10 pm Mon-Fri, then plays in Big Band, Sax quartet and does amateur dramatics, mainly musicals! Current one is Jesus Christ Superstar! Only sees her 5 yr old at breakfast time and weekends.

I just doodle around as a hobby along with photography and gardening …

Now to get back to my OB-xD track and make it awesome (not bore-some!).

dB

Dirtgrain wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:44 pm A bunch of versions of my project are inaccessible now. Ableton say, "A serous program error has occurred." It's frustrating, as I can't recall how I made two sounds I really liked--one sounded like a synth Lorn uses, and one sounded like bagpipes. In my mind it was going to be awesome, but in reality it was probably going to be as disparate and poorly mixed as my previous entries, ha. I reported the crash to Ableton's automated system, but who knows if that will get any results.
That's sad to hear :( I guess Live's restore attempt didn't work, either? I hope you can carry on and maybe even find one of the sounds again later on. :)

Taron ... how do you make a single patch sound like multiple instruments? :o Good job!

BTW is there any way of making OB-Xd spend a part of its now 32 voices on a unison sound and yet be polyphonic, much in the same way Synth1 does it?

Taron: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

haha, thanks, basa! :hug:

@Carl: yep, was wondering about the same thing. Seems like it could make a nice "extra option", in case the original didn't offer grouping. Something like groups of 2,4 or 8. That would be awesome! :)

Carl_saved wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:17 pm BTW is there any way of making OB-Xd spend a part of its now 32 voices on a unison sound and yet be polyphonic, much in the same way Synth1 does it?
So does this imply that you'll be participating this month? That's awesome! I'm also really happy that TNS and Taron have made comebacks, very exciting months of music :hyper:

Return to “Instruments”