Reason Rack VST

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I hope they'll add VST support in the rack VST at some point. Then i can load Reason in Reason in Reason. Etc.

chk071 wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:07 pm I hope they'll add VST support in the rack VST at some point. Then i can load Reason in Reason in Reason. Etc.
If you do this to 10 to the 31st power you get a black hole.
I recommend that you do not exceed 10 to the 30th Power
or we will all be doomed.
Last edited by Kalamata Kid on Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

krucial wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:24 pm
pandashake wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:27 am Is there a way to load up a rack with say a Subtractor, Europa, and Redrum in one rack and control each via a separate midi channel or am I forced to load up three instances of rack?
Why on earth would you want to do this? And isn’t this essentially what Rewire did? One rack send midi to different instruments? Yet people hated that workflow.
What if you wanted a rack with one synth, and an effect after it that had a midi control that needed to be separate? What if you wanted 16 different synths all on different channels but you wanted to have them all cross modulating each other inside the rack using cv and audio cables? In a modular system like reason, I don't think there should be limitations like this.
Last edited by zoidkirb on Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

db3 wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:59 pm
Biscotto wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:06 am
db3 wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:05 am Solid so far for me on Live 10 Mac. 100% agree on GUI, this release should have been updated for high-dpi & higher resolutions (the factory rack plugins from PH).
On windows in Ableton the Rack RE knobs seems no to react to automation.
Is this the same on the Mac?
I can record automation in rack instrument knobs — if that's what you mean.
Yes you can record but no visual feedback from the knobs as in Bitwig for example.
Pigments - Diva - Tal U-No-LX - Tal Sampler

pandashake wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:27 am Is there a way to load up a rack with say a Subtractor, Europa, and Redrum in one rack and control each via a separate midi channel or am I forced to load up three instances of rack?
Why on earth would you want to do this? And isn’t this essentially what Rewire did? One rack send midi to different instruments? Yet people hated that workflow.
To keep from having to fire up multiple instances of the rack VST? Basically it should operate like Kontakt, but with Reason’s devices. I know it can output multiple audio channels, so why can’t it be controlled with multiple midi channels?

Right on +1000!

Has anyone already found out how to change patterns in the players (trying in the drum sequencer at the moment) in the rack version ? I have tried all midi notes from C 0 to C 4 but there is no change in the patterns :-(. So I am afraid pattern change might not work at all in the rack version ? This would be the next big disadvantage after no midi out :-(.

EDIT: just realized: the whole Drum Sequencer is not even MENTIONED in the 798 pages Rack manual, not in the players section, not in the index :-(

On YouTube Jef Gibbons posted a comment about using automation for changing patterns. He was thinking about make another video containing this subject.

Thanks Lotuz2019 for the hint, as I dont have Cubase, can anyone "translate"
R and W in Cubase and write in your automation! Sweet
what that means for another daw (I use mixcraft for example) ? Is this some "common" automation like modwheel, expression whatever ?

And I really wonder if the pattern change will be automatable this way cause you cant "grab" them in the way he does it in the video with scenic. But as my automation skills are really limited maybe someone can explain.

R = Read
W = Write

Cubase in Write mode records what you do. So when you turn a knob on the GUI of your plugin, Cubase will record this. Cubase in Read mode will repeat those actions on playback. I guess other DAWs will have something similar. Never used it with pushing buttons to change patterns before, but it might work.

zoidkirb wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:57 pm
What if you wanted a rack with one synth, and an effect after it that had a midi control that needed to be separate? What if you wanted 16 different synths all on different channels but you wanted to have them all cross modulating each other inside the rack using cv and audio cables? In a modular system like reason, I don't think there should be limitations like this.
pandashake wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:12 am
To keep from having to fire up multiple instances of the rack VST? Basically it should operate like Kontakt, but with Reason’s devices. I know it can output multiple audio channels, so why can’t it be controlled with multiple midi channels?
Both of you are basically asking for Rewire.
KFish needs to answer a simple question. What is an outdated sound?

Anybody tried it in Cakewalk?

krucial wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:53 pm
Both of you are basically asking for Rewire.
Yes you could do these things in rewire. But rewire was clunky. Rewire is discontinued. Can't we have the best of both worlds? Adding the ability to select midi channels per combinator could be smoothly implemented. They wouldn't need to change the default way vst racks work now, as adding specific midi ch numbers would be an optional extra.

Reason intro is a bargain now!
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K•Cubase 11•Presonus Eris E8 XT•Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 & Octopre•NI Kontrol S61 MK2•Stein­berg CC121•Synthesizers: Arturia Casio Korg Roland Yamaha

Wait wait...is Rewire removed from 11?

Return to “Instruments”