oddities with TAL U-No-LX 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:56 am While I do love the simplicity for great sound and quick sound design, I wouldn't mind a separate envelope for the amp and filter. It really doesn't complicate things much but allows more freedom in the sound. I guess this is why the Roland Cloud synths now have a second envelope for their classic one envelope synths like the Juno-106 and the SH-101. I see it as a nice benefit in the digital world to be able to keep the spirit of the original but overcome a serious cost restriction of these early synths. A no brainer for software, like adding the ability to have presets where the originals didn't. I guess Roland felt the same.
It was in the JX-8P. Not in the Junos. And TAL-U-NO-LX emulates a Juno-60 released in 1982.
For a second envelope, we have PG-8X which emulates the JX-8P released in 1985.
:)
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

But wouldn't be this "more powerful" TAL-U-NO a TAL-Mod?
I can't speak enough about it. I really love it!

The limitations are normal. The evolution in features is the reflect of the time which passes by.

All the solutions from the most simple to the most complex are available. It is the best to let the wider choice to satisfy every one regards his needs (and sometimes his loves). But what you said is that when someone tries a more featured synth he won't come back to his simpler synth. What I reply is that it is totally false, because it is a matter of tastes and of needs, not a matter of trying to find THE product which can make everything because having the widest set of features.

The simplicity can be also considered as a TRUE feature itself.

And a typical sound too. And the ease to get this typical sound can also be seen as a feature.

There are many reasons to choose a simple instrument.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.

JerGoertz wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:03 am
Sparky77 wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:35 pm
e-crooner wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:08 pm That synthesizer is so basic. Once one is used to something much more recent, complete and sophisticated, it is hard to work with the U-NO-LX again.
Thats what makes it great.
Also, it really just sounds good, especially for pads and bass.
After all, its a reproduction of one of the most classic synths ever.
Agreed, it sounds f**king great.

Sound quality trumps features here.
Well said brother!
--After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.

-Aldous Huxley

Is it just me or is the demo white noise absurdly long?

e-crooner wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:51 pm Is it just me or is the demo white noise absurdly long?
Yeah I'm finding the Bassline-101 demo to be way too annoying to try for more than a minute.

Audio drop outs would be better
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

I use Tal U no Lx inside of MUX to add that extra envelope. I find U no Lx's engine to be a bit better sounding than most. I like it the way it is and dont mind using other tools to expand on it when necessary. I agree the demo noises are a turn off but the product is well worth it. Just buy it
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

Scrubbing Monkeys wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:28 pm I use Tal U no Lx inside of MUX to add that extra envelope. I find U no Lx's engine to be a bit better sounding than most. I like it the way it is and dont mind using other tools to expand on it when necessary. I agree the demo noises are a turn off but the product is well worth it. Just buy it
Sure you can add an envelope when using it in mono (I can in Bitwig), but not poly. Also in mono it won't have the same rate possible as an internal envelope. Still love it and own it, just saying.

The envelope works differently on this synth. Even in poly mode a voice assigned to a key gets restarted every time you play that same key again. On other synths that is not the case. I.e. several voices will add up as you play the same note again and again, which can sound ugly if the voices on the same note are not slightly detuned, but very nice and organic if they are detuned.

One can easily hear the difference with an envelope setting of 0, 2.5, 0, 10. With the first hard hit of the key, you release it as fast as possible, with the second hit you keep the key pressed, thus ending the endless release phase still sounding from the first hit.
I don't know however if the original Juno hardware behaved like the plugin. Nor if it is supposed to be that way.

Funny how the chorus boosts the bass frequencies on this synth, especially the double chorus...

e-crooner wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:08 pm That synthesizer is so basic. Once one is used to something much more recent, complete and sophisticated, it is hard to work with the U-NO-LX again.
It's a Juno 60. Would you throw an actual Juno 60 in the garbage if someone gave you one, based on your same criteria above? Doubt it.

mholloway wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:06 pm
It's a Juno 60. Would you throw an actual Juno 60 in the garbage if someone gave you one, based on your same criteria above? Doubt it.
Of course not. I would probably sell it because I don't think I would actually use it. I prefer good plugins :)
But I think I would keep a Jupiter 8, if you gave it to me.

U-NO LX is a very good plugin. :)
e-crooner wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:41 pm The envelope works differently on this synth. Even in poly mode a voice assigned to a key gets restarted every time you play that same key again. On other synths that is not the case. I.e. several voices will add up as you play the same note again and again, which can sound ugly if the voices on the same note are not slightly detuned, but very nice and organic if they are detuned.

One can easily hear the difference with an envelope setting of 0, 2.5, 0, 10. With the first hard hit of the key, you release it as fast as possible, with the second hit you keep the key pressed, thus ending the endless release phase still sounding from the first hit.
I don't know however if the original Juno hardware behaved like the plugin. Nor if it is supposed to be that way.
This is a very standard voice reassign mode (instead of voice rotate). IIRC the original behaved like that as well.

I'm in contact with Patrick about the issues reported in the OP of the present thread. We've had several kind mails and here is an excerpt of the last one:
1 - Dotted and Triplet timings for arp and LFO seem to be the same
Will be fixed within the next update. Update coming soon i hope. It will be a bigger one :)

2 - LFO sync mode Rate control doesn't go in order from slow to fast. It goes from fast to slow in three segments.
That's a hard one. Looks like this was by design. Hope we can fix this some time. It would need some hacks to stay compatible with existing presets.

3 -Pulse width LFO assignment doesn't follow the LFO shape or delay, only the rate.
It does also follow the delay on the hardware device. I don't think that this is broken on our hardware device. We also decided to always keep the triangle waveform for the PW modulation because there is only one LFO for pitch, PW and filter.
And about the issue found in the FM filter group of parameter in the "Source Mixer" section of TAL-Bassline-101 the diagnostic is now clearly identified with a short video I sent him yesterday.

:)

Return to “Instruments”