oddities with TAL U-No-LX 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

couple quick things, not sure if these are bugs or what but I'm confused

1 - Dotted and Triplet timings for arp and LFO seem to be the same

2 - LFO sync mode Rate control doesn't go in order from slow to fast. It goes from fast to slow in three segments.

3 -Pulse width LFO assignment doesn't follow the LFO shape or delay, only the rate.

Love the plugin but these things don't make sense.
⬆ Jon from The REAPER Blog

1. true, never noticed before as I always use external arpeggiators
2. true, but at least it works :)
3. that actually works fine for me (I'm using vst2 64bits)

I've never had to contact the dev, but I've always heard (red) he's very responsive.

Niowiad wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:32 pm 1. true, never noticed before as I always use external arpeggiators
2. true, but at least it works :)
3. that actually works fine for me (I'm using vst2 64bits)

I've never had to contact the dev, but I've always heard (red) he's very responsive.
Same here, 1 and 2 don't seem to work properly, 3 does.

Wasn't there also a problem with those timings on Tal's modular synth plugin initially?

Audio~Geek wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:17 pm couple quick things, not sure if these are bugs or what but I'm confused

1 - Dotted and Triplet timings for arp and LFO seem to be the same

2 - LFO sync mode Rate control doesn't go in order from slow to fast. It goes from fast to slow in three segments.

3 -Pulse width LFO assignment doesn't follow the LFO shape or delay, only the rate.

Love the plugin but these things don't make sense.
Patrick (the developer ) has a really hard time understanding triplet and dotted notes :D
Talmod still has them mixed up in the sequencer , it took a year before the triplet and dotted bugs ( they are just switched ) were ironed out in the lfo
I explained it to him numerous times in detail , honoustly I think it's kind of charming , creating these amazing instruments , top notch zdf filters and still strugling with timing :clown:
Check the talmod thread
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

That synthesizer is so basic. Once one is used to something much more recent, complete and sophisticated, it is hard to work with the U-NO-LX again.

One : it depends what music you play.

And two : it is a matter of personal tastes.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

e-crooner wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:08 pm That synthesizer is so basic. Once one is used to something much more recent, complete and sophisticated, it is hard to work with the U-NO-LX again.
Thats what makes it great.
Also, it really just sounds good, especially for pads and bass.
After all, its a reproduction of one of the most classic synths ever.
--After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.

-Aldous Huxley

Sparky77 wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:35 pm
e-crooner wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:08 pm That synthesizer is so basic. Once one is used to something much more recent, complete and sophisticated, it is hard to work with the U-NO-LX again.
Thats what makes it great.
Also, it really just sounds good, especially for pads and bass.
After all, its a reproduction of one of the most classic synths ever.
Agreed, it sounds f**king great.

Sound quality trumps features here.
A well-behaved signature.

I want the simplicity and the sound of a Juno, but can't afford any other version. What do you like for a Juno sound?
⬆ Jon from The REAPER Blog

Will it make e-crooner laugh if I tell that TAL-U-NO-LX is by far my most used software synth ?

The music I play is not based on crazy modulations but on harmonies and melodies.

There are not only dance music styles in music. The music is a whole world, with tons of different styles.

I also play pianos, organs (old organs, rock or not, and even church organs), guitars, violins... and a harpsichord and even many flutes ! Sorry, e-crooner, but all these strange things are also TRUE instruments !

Even a single string stretched by a stick on a box of wood can be an awesome instrument !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVdMZ3z15vA

This one is named the Dan Bau. Sorry, e-crooner, the only modulation source of this instrument... is a hand.
Last edited by BlackWinny on Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.

I just reported the OP bug to Patrick.
:tu:

Sure, it sounds pleasant, the oscillators and the filter above all. But a single envelope is just not enough for my needs anymore (you can hear one consequence of that on many factory sounds, namely that there is that ugly release click as they had to use gate for the amp). For a sound designer the modulation options are also severe. There is a general lack of flexibility.
Roland only built the original hardware that way in order to save money, not because they liked those limitations. So why would I? 8)

It is YOUR feeling, based on YOUR habits and on YOUR needs for YOUR style. But you stated as if it was the instrument itself which was the issue because having very few features compared to what you use !

Needing a complex instrument for YOUR needs is not a reason to say that every person trying your complex instruments will abandon his simpler instruments as if these simpler instruments were pitiful ! I recall you that it is the sense of what you wrote !

"Everybody sees Noon at one's door" as we say in French ! Meaning that the things we use and love doesn't allow us to spit on or criticize the things used and loved by others.

And KVR is not made only for the users of complexly modulated software synths. It is made for ALL the users of ALL the software synths. And they must respect each others and respect the needs and loves of each others. Capito ?
Last edited by BlackWinny on Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

While I do love the simplicity for great sound and quick sound design, I wouldn't mind a separate envelope for the amp and filter. It really doesn't complicate things much but allows more freedom in the sound. I guess this is why the Roland Cloud synths now have a second envelope for their classic one envelope synths like the Juno-106 and the SH-101. I see it as a nice benefit in the digital world to be able to keep the spirit of the original but overcome a serious cost restriction of these early synths. A no brainer for software, like adding the ability to have presets where the originals didn't. I guess Roland felt the same.

Calm down. All I am saying is that apart from a nice sound and user interface, it has some severe limitations compared to other synthesizers. I am not a fan of those super complex ones, either, mind you.

Return to “Instruments”