AAS Ultra Analog VA-3 Synthesizer Released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

biscuitdough wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:13 pm So this one is just for the presets, right? What I'm hearing is that it's good sounding but with limited features and small GUI. Seems like it's not for sound design, since there are good sounding, full-featured synths with GUI size options for less or free.
They added a ladder filter model, made the plug-in multitimbral, and added some extra flexibility to the Fx section too. Also you shouldn’t overlook the revamped preset browser if you’re someone who likes to play around on a midi instrument. I don’t always want to spend a few minutes making sounds when I feel like having a quick jam or whatever

It’s got some pretty interesting and playable presets. I bet the guys who made those wouldn’t tell you it’s not meant for sound design. It’s simpler than zebra or avenger or synthmaster, but it does VA better than those. So you know, pick your poison

biscuitdough wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:13 pm So this one is just for the presets, right? What I'm hearing is that it's good sounding but with limited features and small GUI. Seems like it's not for sound design, since there are good sounding, full-featured synths with GUI size options for less or free.
Regarding the "just for the presets" (only), one could say that, or not. :D
Depends on your priorities.

To some users, the presets for a synth 'are' the main value, especially from independent top-notch sound designers, and AAS has those (see the AAS Sound Packs page, and keep in mind those packs are $39 for around 128 presets on average, not far from industry norm from what I've seen), and some synth users don't seem to blink at dropping $100+ on sound pack collections. The 560 new presets included in VA-3 appear to be from those same commercial designers as their sound packs (and, oh yes, an upgraded synth is included for that $32/$39 price). So, as to whether it's worth it for the presets alone, you can do the math.

But to many, maybe even most, users, the synth capabilities are the main value, and 'not' the presets. We expect enhanced sound quality and new features with each new version, and the VA-3 upgrade may feel a bit light (or not) for the price. And yes, I think we all would like a larger, maybe even resizeable, GUI.

And then again, of course, a lot of us value both synth enhancements and new presets, so ... .

Regarding the synth and sound design, Ultra Analog is very fine synth. As for limitations, listen to some of those same AAS Sound Pack samples (or get the player, or download the demo) and even the earlier factory VA-2 presets. I think you'll find an incredible range of quality sounds (for an amazing collection of cinematic sounds, definitely check out Cinémathèque by Stawczyk). Limited?

So, as for upgrading value, it depends (but synth quality/limited sounds is definitely not the issue).
Last edited by rj0 on Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Well said^^^
Pigments - Diva - Tal U-No-LX - Tal Sampler

A very welcome and unexpected 3.1 just released!

Fixes
* Improved default GUI size on Windows in DAWs with high-DPI support.
* Fixed possible crash when using some touchscreens.

Additions
* Added support for GUI scaling.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Cool. That boosts the synth's appeal by several orders.
But the price is still kind of high, for 150 dollars there is a lot of competition out there, even more so for the regular price of 200. Rapid for instance, which seems to enjoy a much more active development.

Amazing. The update email just arrived after I read SLiC's post. :tu:
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Hopefully this will now roll out across all the AAS range...
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

e-crooner wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:16 pm Cool. That boosts the synth's appeal by several orders.
But the price is still kind of high, for 150 dollars there is a lot of competition out there, even more so for the regular price of 200. Rapid for instance, which seems to enjoy a much more active development.
The update price goes down to 50 when you have the session bundle. You get used ones for a few bucks. So: The price tag can be different if you take this parh.

SWEET update - very glad I made this purchase. Thank you AAS!!

Did he just say ASS?
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Are the drums and percussion sounds of the demos on their site also from that synth?
(Most of those demos are crap, anyway, but I like Don't beat the man.)

SLiC wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:11 pm A very welcome and unexpected 3.1 just released!

Fixes
* Improved default GUI size on Windows in DAWs with high-DPI support.
* Fixed possible crash when using some touchscreens.

Additions
* Added support for GUI scaling.
? Where is this on the website please. Don't see it there.
Didn't get an e-mail.
Is this implemented in the demo so I can take it for a spin first?

I hope String Studio gets an updated patch browser too,
After using UA VA-3 for a few days, going back to SS VS-3's preset browser is cumbersome.

sqigls wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:48 pm I hope String Studio gets an updated patch browser too,
After using UA VA-3 for a few days, going back to SS VS-3's preset browser is cumbersome.
GUI scaling too!

yep! up to 200%. looks great! thankfully they implemented GUI scaling, it makes a lot of difference!

Return to “Instruments”