Available now: Tone2 Icarus2.5 - Wavetable Workstation

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Icarus3

Check the features, see for yourself. They're pretty different, in terms of architecture.

chk071 wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:27 am Check the features, see for yourself. They're pretty different, in terms of architecture.
Electra seems best suited as allround synth that does it all, but lacking handy arpegiator and other handy functions.
I think I'll be waiting for the next round to invest again.
Seems that lots of devs are working on new versions.
My sounddesign: Synth1/Ex5/D-50 patches https://goo.gl/zE3pkk
My stuff: W10x64i7 15" laptop, Reaper/Cantabile3+Synth1+Avenger on stage+NordStage2+Samson Graphite 49
Loving new VPS Avenger! Check my skins! https://goo.gl/MBNJHj

godly wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:26 am What's the difference between Icarus and Electra then? Maybe have a comparison table? Icarus seems the best of all, but Elektra says, the only synth you need... ;-)
You can compare the feature lists here:

https://www.tone2.com/electra2-technical.html

https://www.tone2.com/icarus-technical.html

godly wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:37 am
chk071 wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:27 am Check the features, see for yourself. They're pretty different, in terms of architecture.
Electra seems best suited as allround synth that does it all, but lacking handy arpegiator and other handy functions.
TBH, if you want allround, i'd rather pick Icarus. It's a great feature set, and much easier to use than Electra2, IMO. Electra's architecture requires you to work with layers, and, if that's not your thing (for me, it's much too tedious), then you're better off with something more "regular", like Icarus.

Markus Krause wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:55 am Thank you a lot for supporting our small company!

I am glad that you like my filter so much! The filters in Icarus are a 'best-of' collection of over 100 filter types that i developed since 2002.

SFZ support for Icarus is not planned. However i have added this within a free update of Electra2 (v2.7).

Markus
I have bought Icarus, Rayblaster, and Nemesis in the last month or two. Keep up the great work!

chk071 wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:50 am
TBH, if you want allround, i'd rather pick Icarus. It's a great feature set, and much easier to use than Electra2, IMO. Electra's architecture requires you to work with layers, and, if that's not your thing (for me, it's much too tedious), then you're better off with something more "regular", like Icarus.
Thx, I'm a heavy Avenger user, and can't miss layers, multi osc and samples, multisamples,...
So Electra is more versatile as all round.
Also very very very important, is LOW cpu usage. (that's the one prob I have with Avenger, otherwise it's great)
My stuff: W10x64i7 15" laptop, Reaper/Cantabile3+Synth1+Avenger on stage+NordStage2+Samson Graphite 49

They're both (Icarus and Electra) good in terms of CPU usage.

It does have an arpeggiator.

From their website:
The arpeggiator section offers an extended, yet hands-on way to both create and play arpeggios. Smart algorithms create melodies that are more musically useful than those offered by conventional arpeggiators. Best of all, by using Electra2's multi-layers you can even have four arpeggiators at the same time. Together with a host of editing features this allows you to create sequences as simple or as complex as you want. The arpeggiator also supports advanced features such as auto-chords, pitch-slides, legato, swing-shuffle and matrix integration. Working with the arpeggiator is simple, just select your notes as you normally would and set the play direction.

godly wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:40 am
chk071 wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:50 am
Thx, I'm a heavy Avenger user, and can't miss layers, multi osc and samples, multisamples,...
So Electra is more versatile as all round.
Also very very very important, is LOW cpu usage. (that's the one prob I have with Avenger, otherwise it's great)
If you already have Avenger and like it then you'd be better off getting Icarus on my opinion. I don't see much reason to have Avenger and Electra, they have a ton of overlapping features. Icarus is very unique and I really like it a lot.

For my purpose Electra is better, but it's still lacking lot's of features.
- Better browser (needs search and where are the tags selectable for search?)
- better Drums seq
- better usable ARP (I love synthmaster's arp)
- better mod matrix
- key zones
- mixer panel for the layers

But still, those filters are A-MA-ZING <3 :)

godly wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:52 pm For my purpose Electra is better, but it's still lacking lot's of features.
Maybe you're on the lookout for an Avenger replacement for Live work, but you'll have a hard time finding a synth with the features set of Avenger imo.

Icarus is pretty great and -just as an example - had a dual resonant filter (and very nice filters) for ages while only now a dual filter is somewhat becoming a 'standard issue' for softsynths. The oscillator section is also very elaborate with a lot of morphing capabilities.

But Avenger is pretty much an exception with regard to features with e.g. also an added drum section & sequencer. Avenger is almost a mini-DAW. I guess you'd rather invest in a dongle for live work.

The programming on Icarus2 is finished now.

I also enhanced the lighting of GUI renderings. Thanks go to Walter for his detailed suggestions.

I will update the screenshot and the feature description soon.

Markus Krause wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:43 pm The programming on Icarus2 is finished now.

I also enhanced the lighting of GUI renderings. Thanks go to Walter for his detailed suggestions.

Thats great new Markus.
Thanks
rsp
sound sculptist

Markus Krause wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:43 pm The programming on Icarus2 is finished now.

Awesome! Can't wait to try it. One little thing I noticed on the GUI that is confusing. The drive and pan positions are switched between the two filters. Why? The other knobs like Vel, LFO etc. are in the same positions (up/down) in both filters. I don't think it makes sense to mirror the drive/pan when the others aren't mirrored and are kept the same. I think for muscle memory just having them in the same relative position is better.

Woohoo!!!

Return to “Instruments”