Available now: Tone2 Icarus2.5 - Wavetable Workstation

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Icarus3

bite_me wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:20 pm First:
I bought this synth just two days ago, because it´s a very good sounding piece of software. I buy synths because I´m having some money to burn and a record to produce.
If I was a poor kid again, just give me a hardware sampler and I rule this thing.
I´m excited for the update and will receive it for free - that´s great.
I truely know what I´m talking about after 25 years of keeping beats rolling.
I don´t feel your pain JunSev.
I spent my money on a great product and supported this little nice company.
It´s the bored guys like me, who push the income of these companies.

If there really were free updates, why isn´t this one free?
Like that Dune3 "update" they (Devs) have to make things shiny again.
I don´t have problems with that.
But it´s not a free update for the most users. I simply said this one is a joke.
And for me it is. Baseless nonsense, if I try to attack for nothing.
Sell a book twice if you give it a new cover.
You know books?
Kidding I am. But do you know?
Support is free too?
Cool.
:hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

:idiot:

pdxindy wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:12 pm
metaside wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:54 pm
Markus Krause wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:28 pm After this the current morph mode is rendered to the wavetable and the morph mode is set no 'None /partial'. Then you can select another morphmode and so on.
Hi Markus, thanks for your response, but this is not really what i'm talking about. Synths like Pigments and Avenger have a significant advantage over this: you can modulate multiple morph modes at the same time - this of course is not possible when you have to render a morphed version.
I can imagine having a second realtime morph mode could be useful. Beyond that I think it is no real value.

I would use the second one to add some noise or to degrade the wavetable in some way.

+1

That's the thing, someone says other synths have 5 morphs, the question is..... how often do you use all 5?

Whan i mean here here, it probably gets to a point when you have diminuishing returns or just stright up f**k up the sound

We can all go to, oh you have 3 OSC, that synth has 508 OSC's!
How many times did you use over 48 OSC !??! :hug:

Now back on Topic...
This shouldn't be about numbers comparisons, should be about sound....

In a sense it makes me think of people comparing bikes and races,

1. "oh i have Pro Tires and 150 HP in this bike, i'm so fast"
2. "Oh i tweaked my back with an extension bar and engine, i have 180 HP and my front tire doesn't lift as fast so i'm faster!"
3. "oh i've put a TOP-corvette 500 HP engine on my go fast in a straight line PRO TOP FUEL BIKE and a 1.5 meters wide back tire, i'm FASTER!

4. " damn my pedal bycicle goes faster down this twisty road then NUMBER 3 PRO- TOP FUEL Motorbike.."

In the end at some point you start geting some form of diminuishing returns

it's about the sound....

anyhow there's room for improvement:
- MSEG's are in
- enhanced random algorythms are in
:pray:
i'll let you guys go on suggestions (those were my main wishes)

there were some nice suggestions already, just keep the focus and realise there's a limited ammount of time for changes and there's probably diminuishing returns with some options...

an ex:

while i agree the hardwired modulations to OCS's and filters could/should have an option to select the LFO we want [1,2,3]....
the VIA/sidechain/SUB Modulator suggested option in the matrix + maybe 6 more matrix slots, not only solves that issue it also solves many others (giving a lot more options) and ends up saving matrix slots in the process........

and there's always Icarus 2.1, 2. .....

tasty tatsyn wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:22 am That's the thing, someone says other synths have 5 morphs, the question is..... how often do you use all 5?
For me, it's one of the main reasons for using Avenger sometimes for wavetable synthesis even though I like the general wavetable handling in Icarus and Serum much much better. Just saying that this is one of the not-so-many aspects where Icarus has a disadvantage in direct comparison with a few other synths. I use Icarus a lot in the current form and don't really need to have 2 parallel morph modes, but it would be a great improvement in terms of more complex sound design and a real advantage over many other synths, since I know only a few synths that can do something like that at all. And with the great morph options in Icarus - most are not available in these other synths as far as I can say - this would be kind of a game changer... Just saying - I don't want to derail this thread again after participating in the MPE discussion lol. ^^
Some music with visuals and mixed tutorials related to game dev and sound design: https://www.youtube.com/@MetasideOfficial

tasty tatsyn wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:41 pm while i agree the hardwired modulations to OCS's and filters could/should have an option to select the LFO we want [1,2,3]....
the VIA/sidechain/SUB Modulator suggested option in the matrix + maybe 6 more matrix slots, not only solves that issue it also solves many others (giving a lot more options) and ends up saving matrix slots in the process........
And then you have useless parameters on the screen. Which could get messy, if you forget that you've already assigned something in the matrix and start to tweak them. Oops, what's going on?! :o

perfumer wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:56 am
I bought this synth just two days ago, because it´s a very good sounding piece of software. I buy synths because I´m having some money to burn and a record to produce.
If I was a poor kid again, just give me a hardware sampler and I rule this thing.

But it´s not a free update for the most users. I simply said this one is a joke.
You know books?
Support is free too?
Cool.

If i buy Icarus now will i get free update to icarus 2?

Markus Krause wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:51 pm - MPE support will most likely implemented. I ordered a Seaboard and will receive it this week. I will give you feedback if it is worth the investment or not.
Just a heads up, if you’re looking to implement MPE in the best possible way, make a provision to allow response curve editing, like they do on Equator. I feel it’s really important and a feature that is missing from most instruments that call themselves MPE compatible.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Amram wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:04 pm
perfumer wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:56 am

You know books?
Support is free too?
Cool.

If i buy Icarus now will i get free update to icarus 2?
Markus mentioned this:

"The upgrade to Icarus2 will be free for everyone who purchased Icarus 1.x after May 2019."

@Examigan
Thanks

Markus Krause wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:27 am Thank you a lot for the nice feedback.

I forgot to mention: The upgrade to Icarus2 will be free for everyone who purchased Icarus 1.x after May 2019.

There might be a public beta in Autumn.
:party:

Examigan wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:58 pm
LeVzi wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:38 am
tasty tatsyn wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:26 pm we all ahve requests and my main one for Icarus was MSEG's from the start so... i'll let
They used to be mine too, I love using MSEG's for stuff and Alchemy had the best, but well that disappeared, there are other synths with them, but they don't have a sound that I liked, so I am SO happy to see them arriving here. I wish more FX Units had them too.

We need more MSEGS !!!
You can still use Alchemy on a PC. I have it installed right now.
Yeah but I sold my copy before they stopped PC Support. I needed the cash at the time, and was gonna buy it back. Too late now.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

metaside wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:14 pm
tasty tatsyn wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:22 am That's the thing, someone says other synths have 5 morphs, the question is..... how often do you use all 5?
For me, it's one of the main reasons for using Avenger sometimes for wavetable synthesis even though I like the general wavetable handling in Icarus and Serum much much better. Just saying that this is one of the not-so-many aspects where Icarus has a disadvantage in direct comparison with a few other synths. I use Icarus a lot in the current form and don't really need to have 2 parallel morph modes, but it would be a great improvement in terms of more complex sound design and a real advantage over many other synths, since I know only a few synths that can do something like that at all. And with the great morph options in Icarus - most are not available in these other synths as far as I can say - this would be kind of a game changer... Just saying - I don't want to derail this thread again after participating in the MPE discussion lol. ^^
Both subjects are on topic because they are both pertinent to I2 :)

zerocrossing wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:07 pm
Markus Krause wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:51 pm - MPE support will most likely implemented. I ordered a Seaboard and will receive it this week. I will give you feedback if it is worth the investment or not.
Just a heads up, if you’re looking to implement MPE in the best possible way, make a provision to allow response curve editing, like they do on Equator. I feel it’s really important and a feature that is missing from most instruments that call themselves MPE compatible.
Yeah I mentioned the same thing a few pages back. Equator curves are the model to follow for sure.

metaside wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:00 pm What I would love to see is [...] the possibility to use multiple morph modes at the same time - imho Pigments and Avenger look better in this regard with 4-5 parallel morph and distortion-type options for oscillators.
Agreed, although I think having at least two live morphing modes would probably be enough. Baking a morph type into a wavetable is nice but doesn't allow for live automations since the application of the morph would be a static value through the whole table. Making them both live would allow for a lot more variation in patch movement.

I will add several additional 'morph modes' to the distortion section (Noise, Am, Ringmod, etc). Icarus can route the OSCs individually withing the filter/distortion section. As a result you will get 2 additional modulation possibilities on top without messing up the GUI layout.

Return to “Instruments”