Available now: Tone2 Icarus2.5 - Wavetable Workstation

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Icarus3

I actually never noticed the animations in an obnoxious way. They just help me to see where the step LFOs and MSEG curves currently are in order to adjust them

And i also don't care whether it's going to kill Serum or not. I just chose between those two when i was evaluating their demos a few months ago purely by my gut feeling. Has been 1.6 back then of course.
I think i could have also been happy with Serum, but i don't regret getting Icarus (now v2) one bit.
Instruments in general are so great, especially these days, that it doesn't really matter which one you pick, just pick the that one suits you better and / or you feel you're going to enjoy using more.
Now if everyone started to complain how overladen this GUI really is, there might be something to it, otherwise it's just bad luck that the user experience of this particular synth doesn't suit you.
But this can happen to anyone with any synth.
Last edited by FapFilter on Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

I run Icarus 1, Ray Blaster and ElectraX on Linux (Xubuntu 18.04, wine staging, linvst) but Icarus 2 is unusable.
Please take a look at the system-requirements of Icarus2. Linux is not supported. Wine is an emulation layer. Running an emulation needs CPU. Icarus is a very complex plugin. That's why the emulation needs more resources than with a simple plugin.
the animated displays are so animated that with certain patches it's a bit ludicrous
You can hide the displays by clicking 'SIZE'.

So far you are the only one who requests this. What i can add is an option to switch off the animations for v2.1.

I don't like the UI at all
We have plans for an optional flat-style GUI. It might be added in a free future update.

The sound character of Icarus 2 is certainly a Serum killer, according to my taste at least.
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Yes i certainly liked the filters more. Have been tinkering with Serum only very briefly though
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

Markus Krause wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:22 am
the animated displays are so animated that with certain patches it's a bit ludicrous
You can hide the displays by clicking 'SIZE'.

So far you are the only one who requests this. What i can add is an option to switch off the animations for v2.1.

I don't like the UI at all
We have plans for an optional flat-style GUI. It might be added in a free future update.
But this is also hiding parts of the synth that are needed for sound design. I don't need a patch player!
Well, at least you could consider a switch-off option.
Not, it's not the 3D-ness. Way back at the beginning of the thread some ppl recommended you to hire a graphics artist. I understand this costs money, BUT..................

Spitfire31 wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:22 am The sound character of Icarus 2 is certainly a Serum killer, according to my taste at least.
Ah, but you know that it is the looks that matters.

I absolutely love the GUI on this.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

very great update :) Also your own factory presets are very nice :)

Markus Krause wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:22 am
I run Icarus 1, Ray Blaster and ElectraX on Linux (Xubuntu 18.04, wine staging, linvst) but Icarus 2 is unusable.
Please take a look at the system-requirements of Icarus2. Linux is not supported. Wine is an emulation layer. Running an emulation needs CPU. Icarus is a very complex plugin. That's why the emulation needs more resources than with a simple plugin.
That's not really the point. As I mentioned, I use and apreciate Icarus 1, Ray Blaster and ElectraX, as well as many of their Tone2 sound sets. I know they are not supported, like all other Windows VSTs under Linux. I try them, then I see if they run well, then I see if their sonic capabilities will add to the creativity. If everything is fine, I get the plugin(s) knowing very well that they are not supported. They ran fine in demo mode, so be it.

This time around I got bitten by enthusiasm :) as I did not try Icarus 2 before buying it.
Last edited by mevla on Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Icarus 2 is without a doubt one of the best VST soft synth available, truly mind blowing!

I am surprised more people are not posting about this synth, maybe it will be a slow burn, but I hope Tone2 get the credit they deserve for this amazing instrument.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

I am not sure if this will be possible in anyway but it just came to my mind while playing around with the 1 key presets, which are kind of "song-construction-kits" more then only presets, that it would be absolutely great to have the opportunity to "mix" them in another way.

With the drum no problem you can just load another preset but it would just be great if you could save the oscillators (in this case the "instruments" of the construction kit) as "instruments" with all settings including fx and arp and then load them again as you like.

Hope you get what I mean, so you could as imagined example load the bass from one 1key construction kit which is on osciallator 1 load into a another preset and just replace the "instrument" there. Or just take three "instruments" from three 1key presets, load them into three empty oscialltors and create a completely new 1key preset/construction kit.

Would be helpful for the randomn function to, as this only works on osc1 you could save a good one as "instrument", load it into osc2 and hit randomn for the osc1 again and so on.

No idea if this is possible in anyway, so just forget about it if not, but just came to my mind and I thought just to mention it.
Hi Markus, I would really like your opinion on this cause the more I am playing around especially with these "Songconstruction" 1key presets the more I would like something like this :-)

SLiC wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:08 pm Icarus 2 is without a doubt one of the best VST soft synth available, truly mind blowing!

I am surprised more people are not posting about this synth, maybe it will be a slow burn, but I hope Tone2 get the credit they deserve for this amazing instrument.
Agreed. It truly is amazingly powerful without being to overwhelming in terms of design. And with a buttery digital smoothness that few synths possess, to me sort of in the PPG style.

tatanka wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:16 pm
I am not sure if this will be possible in anyway but it just came to my mind while playing around with the 1 key presets, which are kind of "song-construction-kits" more then only presets, that it would be absolutely great to have the opportunity to "mix" them in another way.

With the drum no problem you can just load another preset but it would just be great if you could save the oscillators (in this case the "instruments" of the construction kit) as "instruments" with all settings including fx and arp and then load them again as you like.

Hope you get what I mean, so you could as imagined example load the bass from one 1key construction kit which is on osciallator 1 load into a another preset and just replace the "instrument" there. Or just take three "instruments" from three 1key presets, load them into three empty oscialltors and create a completely new 1key preset/construction kit.

Would be helpful for the randomn function to, as this only works on osc1 you could save a good one as "instrument", load it into osc2 and hit randomn for the osc1 again and so on.

No idea if this is possible in anyway, so just forget about it if not, but just came to my mind and I thought just to mention it.
Hi Markus, I would really like your opinion on this cause the more I am playing around especially with these "Songconstruction" 1key presets the more I would like something like this :-)
The ability to lock certain parts of the synthesizer while loading a new patch has been requested for a couple of times. It is something we can add in a future update if there is enough demand on it.

The random function will be extended to osc2 & 3 in the next update. The update will be available for free.

Markus Krause wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:09 am
tatanka wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:16 pm

The ability to lock certain parts of the synthesizer while loading a new patch has been requested for a couple of times. It is something we can add in a future update if there is enough demand on it.

The random function will be extended to osc2 & 3 in the next update. The update will be available for free.
i demand too! :)

ths so much Markus!
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Great :tu: This way round (lock) is as good for my intention :-)

I think if now some of the great sounddesigners out there would take the chance to make some presets using all possibilities of Ikarus 2 including drums for the more ambient/athmosperic/melodical (I deny myself from writing "musical" :clown: ) site of Ikarus 2 like for Tone2 Ikarus 1 I think I would be totally happy :D.

And maybe would take more attention on it cause for example the existing video dont cover 10 % of the ground of the possibilities of Ikarus 1, the real "bandwith" of Ikarus 2 I cant even imagine so far :-).

Return to “Instruments”