SampleTank 4.0.6 update somewhat broken. 4.0.8 now released.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Honestly it's a pretty fair review. Like all music industry magazine reviews it's mostly an overview of the product and some minor comments on how well it works/what it does. SoS is pretty respectable but they aren't like user's on a web forum, they won't spend 50+ pages harping about bugs, missing features and support issues. You have to come here if you want that kind of detail.

4.0.7 appears to have addressed all the issues I was having with Sampletank, which I think is pretty good. There may be new problems and/or old issues I'm just not seeing yet, but so far it is looking pretty good.
-Matt

How is the 4.0.7 update going for everybody?

Check your multis (grooves), check preset "A Wide Open Gum" and post if they are all working - if you can.

Not going so good here, had to revert to 4.0.6 - which I had originally avoided due to the reported issues. My other option was 4.0.4, because 4.0.5 was broke for me too.

I had also originally thought that 4.0.7 was a good update, but I had only played with a few choice traditional instrument presets on it.

A post at the Ik forum had me checking some things out, and I found I had the same issues as was posted there.

ST 4.0.7 broke SampleTank for me (OS X 10.12.6), in both Standalone and plugin (in Studio One 4.5) as follows:

- when first opening ST 4.0.7 before loading any sounds, I can see the keys on the ST4 keyboard move when I play on my midi keyboard.

- I try to load some ST4 sounds, they load, but then: (1) I don't see the the keys on the ST4 keyboard move when I play on my midi keyboard, and (2) ST4 does not output or make any sound, both when I play from my midi keyboard and when I click on the ST 4 GUI keyboard.

- tied some other sounds, can't recall specifically which ones but I think I remember they were some of the Syntronik sounds and they loaded and played ok. But when I tried other Syntronik sounds from different Syntronik synths they did not make sounds (from either my keyboard or the GUI keyboard) and, and when I went back and tried again the Syntronik sounds that had played, they too don't play again now at all (and playing midi keyboard doesn’t show on the ST4 GUI keyboard ).

– Yes, I also rebuilt the library a couple of times too to no avail.

- Reinstalled ST4 v4.0.7, still had the problem.

- So I reinstalled ST4 v4.0.6, crossed my fingers and ....voila! It worked again like it did before, without this problem thank goodness, no problems at all.

And, also, the standalone gets stuck when quitting and you have to force quit it.

So, something's wrong with v 4.0.7 --> PLEASE FIX. I'll be bummed if I go through this again when v4.0.8 comes out.

Thanks.

Please report any issues or odd behavior after updating to our team: https://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support/

Once opened, PM me your ticket # and I can flag your case for full information.
Make sure to keep an eye out on the IK Multimedia web site for future news and promotions!

Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter!

There are still some issues in the Effects panel that I feel have yet to be addressed.

The EQ PG (particularly) pops up a “timed” dB value text pane when you adjust a band but does not dismiss it immediately when you disengage the mouse from the slider...creating a situation where it covers the slider directly above it. Once that occurs, the now obstructed slider can no longer be selected until an uncovered slider is selected.

There is no “always present” indication as to whether an effect in the chain is active or not. Rolling over the topmost section of each slot is the only way to see if the effect is in or out. This is mostly due to an outdated skeuomorphic affection for drawing rack screws that are clearly unnecessary in a modern virtual effect. Function over form could go a long way here.

The ability to rearrange the effects can interfere with the control of the effects as well as glitch the audio due to the current implementation of the slot rearrangement scheme. Again, the need for drawing the rack screws at the bottom takes up the room the lower “Lock/Save As” controls use, making it necessary to roll over those areas to access those functions. The large blank (and unused) central area down there would be better served populated with a slot rearrangement mechanism, rather than remaining blank. This would remove the need to use the entire slot area (particularly where the controls reside) to slide modules around. A change like this would mean that when your mouse misses the control target by a few pixels, the audio won’t be interrupted by glitches. The Black 76 is a prime example of this behavior.
On a number of Macs

Hey Guys, just a heads up, there is a new SampleTank 4 update out. Version 4.0.8 includes many fixes/optimizations from 4.0.7, so anyone with any troubles will be able to safely update without issues.

News and alerts for it should be coming shortly. Stay tuned.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/userarea/my-products/

What’s new in SampleTank v4.0.8

•Fixed a potential crash when loading Arpeggio instruments/multis with disabled playback
•Fixed an issue with Live Mode not recalling all settings in DAW projects
•Fixed an issue with some London Grooves instruments not affected by Loop Manager
•Fixed a potential issue with macro names overlapping each other
•Fixed an issue on macOS 10.10 and Live 9 that led to a crash when automating Envelopes
•Optimized instrument retrigger when changing tempo in Loop Manager
•Optimized Phraser pattern playback and performance
•Optimized Strummer Chords and Pattern playback and performance
•Optimized Virtual Pads GUI to refresh properly with note on/off values on Windows
•Live Mode: Made it easier to input Program Change values
•Phraser: Patterns can be freely moved and reassigned to any note
•Added scrolling to view long directory paths in the Sound Content settings
•BPM-Synched LFO Rates now display fraction values in Edit page

@Weasel-Boy - For posting feature requests, use the official wish list on our forum. I've linked to this below.

https://cgi.ikmultimedia.com/ikforum/vi ... 12&t=19885
Make sure to keep an eye out on the IK Multimedia web site for future news and promotions!

Ryan can i make a feature request to make Sampletank 4 smaller? even on smallest its too big for me...

Elektronisch wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:56 pm Ryan can i make a feature request to make Sampletank 4 smaller? even on smallest its too big for me...
Feel free to pass your request here to the official wish list: https://cgi.ikmultimedia.com/ikforum/vi ... 12&t=19885

If you'd like, you can shoot me a PM and I can help make some suggestions. This may be a limitation of your resolution, but I can try to check your scaling preferences or similar settings (Depending on your platform and hardware) to see whats up.

I tried to install 4.08. Shortly after it starts to build the data base. The screen goes black, then WIN 10
restarts.Last week, after a clean install, I cannot load any ST4 patches, I get a file corrupt error.
I tried 4.05, but got the same error.Last I heard from tech support was Friday.
Did they bring back scaling in 4.08? That was a problem since I first got it ,in March.

That sounds like a hardware or driver error. Sampletank (like all modern software) runs in User Mode and cannot trigger a complete restart of the computer since that's not possible from its protection ring. I'd run stress tests on the CPU and RAM, as well as a SMART test of the SSD/HDD. A program like WhoCrashed (https://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed) can also be useful to pinpoint faulty driver dll files.

bill45 wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:55 am I tried to install 4.08. Shortly after it starts to build the data base. The screen goes black, then WIN 10
restarts.Last week, after a clean install, I cannot load any ST4 patches, I get a file corrupt error.
I tried 4.05, but got the same error.Last I heard from tech support was Friday.
Did they bring back scaling in 4.08? That was a problem since I first got it ,in March.
Feel free to send me your Ticket # and I can flag your case. We should be able to figure this out for you.

Ryan_IK wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:15 pm Hey Guys, just a heads up, there is a new SampleTank 4 update out. Version 4.0.8 includes many fixes/optimizations from 4.0.7, so anyone with any troubles will be able to safely update without issues.

News and alerts for it should be coming shortly. Stay tuned.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/userarea/my-products/

What’s new in SampleTank v4.0.8

•Fixed a potential crash when loading Arpeggio instruments/multis with disabled playback
•Fixed an issue with Live Mode not recalling all settings in DAW projects
•Fixed an issue with some London Grooves instruments not affected by Loop Manager
•Fixed a potential issue with macro names overlapping each other
•Fixed an issue on macOS 10.10 and Live 9 that led to a crash when automating Envelopes
•Optimized instrument retrigger when changing tempo in Loop Manager
•Optimized Phraser pattern playback and performance
•Optimized Strummer Chords and Pattern playback and performance
•Optimized Virtual Pads GUI to refresh properly with note on/off values on Windows
•Live Mode: Made it easier to input Program Change values
•Phraser: Patterns can be freely moved and reassigned to any note
•Added scrolling to view long directory paths in the Sound Content settings
•BPM-Synched LFO Rates now display fraction values in Edit page

@Weasel-Boy - For posting feature requests, use the official wish list on our forum. I've linked to this below.

https://cgi.ikmultimedia.com/ikforum/vi ... 12&t=19885
Are we ok to update directly from 4.0.6 to 4.0.8, without touching 4.0.7?

I had to revert from 4.0.7 to 4.0.6 so ST4 was usable before, - I am assuming I do not want to install a buggy 4.0.7 again to get to the latest version? I gotta ask to be sure...

AdvancedFollower wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:30 am That sounds like a hardware or driver error. Sampletank (like all modern software) runs in User Mode and cannot trigger a complete restart of the computer since that's not possible from its protection ring. I'd run stress tests on the CPU and RAM, as well as a SMART test of the SSD/HDD. A program like WhoCrashed (https://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed) can also be useful to pinpoint faulty driver dll files.
I have an old video card. This why I asked about scaling.Scaling was a problem
when i first got st4

Once again, no information as to whether or not any of the sound library files were updated to match into 4.0.8…..a confusing process to start with, because IK apparently doesn’t consider time-stamping the uploads a priority nor does it provide any way to confirm a previous download. To add insult to injury, I checked the sounds library yesterday to see if anything might have been added, only to discover that it will now cost me $10 to get at that library again. Ten bucks just to verify if anything needed to be downloaded? A simple “the library hasn’t been updated” message in the 4.0.8 release notes could’ve solved this.

BTW, am I the only one who believes time-limiting access to a library you paid for, then charging you for further access, repugnant? I’ve read the “the servers are too expensive” excuse posted here. I know lame when I see it….and this qualifies. IK’s ST4 installer instructions warn you to make sure you create back-ups once downloaded, but doesn’t bother to further clarify that the library will disappear after 3 months and cost $10 to get it back. I find that deceptive.

We were informed earlier in this thread that users would be contacted by email as to the 4.0.7 update. I can’t speak for the rest of you, but that never happened over here…..and didn’t happen for 4.0.8 as well. I’ve received plenty of IK promo emails since the release of 4.0.7, but nothing regarding any ST4 updates.
On a number of Macs

Weasel-Boy wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:00 pm Once again, no information as to whether or not any of the sound library files were updated to match into 4.0.8…..a confusing process to start with, because IK apparently doesn’t consider time-stamping the uploads a priority nor does it provide any way to confirm a previous download. To add insult to injury, I checked the sounds library yesterday to see if anything might have been added, only to discover that it will now cost me $10 to get at that library again. Ten bucks just to verify if anything needed to be downloaded? A simple “the library hasn’t been updated” message in the 4.0.8 release notes could’ve solved this.

BTW, am I the only one who believes time-limiting access to a library you paid for, then charging you for further access, repugnant? I’ve read the “the servers are too expensive” excuse posted here. I know lame when I see it….and this qualifies. IK’s ST4 installer instructions warn you to make sure you create back-ups once downloaded, but doesn’t bother to further clarify that the library will disappear after 3 months and cost $10 to get it back. I find that deceptive.

We were informed earlier in this thread that users would be contacted by email as to the 4.0.7 update. I can’t speak for the rest of you, but that never happened over here…..and didn’t happen for 4.0.8 as well. I’ve received plenty of IK promo emails since the release of 4.0.7, but nothing regarding any ST4 updates.
Just to confirm, there was no sound content update associated with this download. Normally we don't list everything that doesn't come with an update, but we do appreciate the time-stamp feedback. I can also confirm we are currently looking into optimizations in regards to the way authorization and sound content is handled. The best way to stay informed is to sign up to the news letter. I've dropped a link below if you're interested.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/newsletter/

If you have any further comments on sound content reactivation or how updates are handled. Please shoot me a PM with your comments and I'll make sure they get to the team. I'm sure the users here would appreciate it, since we don't want to de-rail the thread and turn it into something it wasn't intended for.

As mentioned, the news for this update is coming. I just figured you guys would appreciate the information first. :D

Return to “Instruments”