One Synth Challenge #126: Bazz::Murda by DistoCore (MrKarolus is the winner!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bazz::Murda Free Bazz::Murda Pro

Hey ! Here is my submission. I tried harder than last time to make a better mix, since this was pointed out as one of my problems :clown: . Even though, I am not very satisfied with it so if you have any suggestion to improve it, I will be thankfull for the rest of my life (or at least for the rest of the month :hihi: ).

https://soundcloud.com/user-244473496/d ... -is-coming

Ableton Live 10.1
39x instances of Bazz Murda free (some of them are slightly the same preset for unison purpose)

DAW FX's:
2 x Gate
1x LFO (Max for Live factory)
6x Reverb
4x Delay
1x Echo
1x Multiband dynamics
4x Auto pan
6x EQ Eight
1x Channel EQ
8x Compressor
4x Glue Compressor
7x Auto filter
1x Limiter
1x Spectrum

Other FX's:
1x Youlean loudness meter
1x MSaturator
1x TDR VOS Slick EQ

Statistics:
Integrated loudness -11 LUFS
Max momentary loudness -7.3 LUFS
Max short-tem loudness -8.8LUFS
Loudness range 6.1LU
True peak -0.7 db

Carl_saved wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:31 pm I'd say this is pretty close to a phaser, isn't it?
This is why I asked. It seems odd that filters are not specifically mentioned on the rules page. Is it also the case that a modulated low pass filter (say a DAW's stock filter) is not allowed? I'm not at all meaning to argue for it--I only seek clarification.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Hmm ... It might sound different than the Auto Filter, but could you not use DistoFX and modulate the Notch (Band reject) filter of it? :) In the spirit of what Zarf said, this would be totally doable ;)

Ha, I went at it right after posting that, and it works. Thanks.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

deleted
Last edited by ] Peter:H [ on Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

] Peter:H [ wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:45 amAdded several bits pieces, especially for @TrojakEW a exaggerated Taiko Drum sound ;-)
Do I have some anniversary or something that you made sound for me :lol: :lol: :lol: . Those are taikos on stereoids. Hope you will able to finish track for this round. You did forgot to finish one from previous round. :)

TrojakEW wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:49 pm
] Peter:H [ wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:45 amAdded several bits pieces, especially for @TrojakEW a exaggerated Taiko Drum sound ;-)
Do I have some anniversary or something that you made sound for me :lol: :lol: :lol: . Those are taikos on stereoids. Hope you will able to finish track for this round. You did forgot to finish one from previous round. :)
No anniversary- but the "master of drums" (you) is a good litmus test for percussions.
Enjoyed listening to your track OSC#126 which is completely TrojakEW - The percussions are in place and it's your signature mixing style...

And btw I have finished one for the last round, but decided not to take part... somehow felt it was not good enough: https://soundcloud.com/p-e-t-e-r-h/defo ... ad/s-sSoX4

diaseis wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:08 pm Hey ! Here is my submission. I tried harder than last time to make a better mix, since this was pointed out as one of my problems :clown: . Even though, I am not very satisfied with it so if you have any suggestion to improve it, I will be thankfull for the rest of my life (or at least for the rest of the month :hihi: ).
Just few comment. Something that always struck me first is stage. This track is no exception. It is flat. No stage. Every instrument is stacked on top of each other. If all music will be this way we do not need stereo system for music but only mono. It is not just about widening the sound. Most people just use chorus effect and apply effects similar to hass and then glue this with reverb, but this will not create stage. Rather to write down long post I will post the track:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9ooHFHTio8
I know that this is not electronic music but it doesn't matter what music it is or as I already said we should start using mono audio system for listening.

Also I see you use a lot of compressors. This synth can produce sausage by itself (especially when you have enabled distortion module) and you still compressing this sausage? Good mix doesn't mean you have to use hundred of external effects. Most of time you need to just adjust levels properly. Maybe you use additional compressor to give the sound more punch in order to cut through the mix but this only add oil to the fire. Proper stage will be able to help with this problem. Frequency masking or volume ducking will not help everytime. Placing instrument on stage can be sometime easiest and best solution to avoid instrument fighting each other. Imagine drummer with guitarist standing on his shoulders. On guitarist shoulders there are two additional people instead of one. Singer on left shoulder and 2nd singer on right shoulder (haas effect :lol: ). This is what I hear in your track.

] Peter:H [ wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:04 pmNo anniversary- but the "master of drums" (you)
I wish this was true :lol: .
] Peter:H [ wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:04 pm And btw I have finished one for the last round, but decided not to take part... somehow felt it was not good enough:
If I have to post only track based on my opinion if the track is good enough then I will not be able participate and release anything at all. :lol:

@TrojakEW, cool post of the Frank Sinatra track. I believe this is from a 1960, Capitol session. Back in 1960 engineers would adjust EQ with mic placement. Capitol has a chamber reverb. Since this is prior to multi tracking, this was most likely recorded live in one or two takes.

Mic placement has always been a key to getting good recordings! Still is. I suspect it was many many takes given what you read about Frank! My early listening to records was in the early 1950's. My first record player was for 78's! When you remember records were mono, it's amazing how good they do sound. Stereo was an innovation at one point as was quad on vinyl. When CD's came out, many really messed up the imaging, some with instruments panned hard L+R, (just awful).

dB

Good call, TrojakEW. I always like to keep these old recording sessions in the back of my mind when I'm mixing - it's a good way to think of space.

As you say, adjust levels - and the panning - properly. Imagine the band in front of you - left, right, front, back, floor, roof.

Furthermore, the brass and strings in the back (or the synth pads in our world) reverberate a little longer than the rhythm section and melody upfront. And add a bit of coherent room verb on the section sends to make it feel like the instruments are actually *in* the same studio.

And the instruments the furthest away from the listener are not as bright as the ones that are closest, so it's often a good rule to try cutting a little high frequencies on the "brass" and "strings" in the background before boosting the treble on key elements to high heaven to make them stick out!

All good and universal principles!
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

if there's anyone on reaper - I have an issue. when I save one preset (+ -> save preset) in the menu dialog... it is saving that preset plus the entire bank.
I noticed that it was getting really slow to save and load presets so I inspected and found the .ini file to be 55MB in size
it increases roughly by 1MB every time I save a preset.

What should I do? seems like I should possibly be exporting fxp preset files instead

Oh goddamnit

I should have unticked this at the beginning, very important

I've been saving the presets using the Bazz:Murda "save" button just next to the patch browser, just above the "bass" EQ control.

dB

Return to “Instruments”