One Synth Challenge #126: Bazz::Murda by DistoCore (MrKarolus is the winner!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bazz::Murda Free Bazz::Murda Pro

Can I just confirm that e.g. the +/- 0.2 semitone change example means that the main OSC frequency will be varied according to the cycles of the LFO, with + 0.2 semitones at +full scale and -0.2 semitones at - full scale.

You seemed to imply that it was the LFO which was changed!

dB

diaseis wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:21 pm Honestly I don't know. It's just a no brainer, you browse threw IR and you pick whatever you like instead of tweaking a bunch of parameter. :wink:
Fair enough :D

doctorbob wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:49 pm Can I just confirm that e.g. the +/- 0.2 semitone change example means that the main OSC frequency will be varied according to the cycles of the LFO, with + 0.2 semitones at +full scale and -0.2 semitones at - full scale.

You seemed to imply that it was the LFO which was changed!

dB
@doctorbob: yes, the +/- 0.2 semitone change example (2nd knob marked in the screenshot) means that the main OSC frequency (note pitch/freq.) will be varied according to the cycles of the LFO signal.
Not the LFO signal frequency.

exponent1 wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:57 pm
exponent1 wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:22 pm
DistoCore wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:56 pm
Also the note volume for consecutive notes is very inconsistent. I'm playing 16th notes on a simple single oscillator sine wave patch with a plucky ADSR and all FX disabled, but the consecutive notes all have different volumes. Is this is a bug or a feature?
So apparently using 256 or 512 buffer size for ASIO seems to fix this volume inconsistency. I was using 2048 as the buffer size before, when I was encountering this issue. Works fine now.
Thx a lot for the tip exponent1! I had a similiar problem with my snare sounding different every few beats and turning my audio interface buffer size settings to 512 seems to have fixed that. :clap:

Darksynth FX wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:20 am Thx a lot for the tip exponent1! I had a similiar problem with my snare sounding different every few beats and turning my audio interface buffer size settings to 512 seems to have fixed that. :clap:
Same here. Sounds are more stable when lowering the buffer size. :tu:

So here is my very short summer entry. As in previous round I again tried to use external effects as little as possible. But use rather more automations instead.
https://soundcloud.com/trojakew/a-stroll-on-the-beach
FL Studio 20.0.5
11 instances of Bazz::Murda Free by DistoCore

DAW FX's:
4x Fruity parametric EQ 2
2x Maximus
1x Fruity Reeverb
1x Fruity Delay 3

Other FX's:

1x VST zOne Amplio 2
2x VST zOne Quo
2x OrilRiver

Statistics:

Integrated loudness -13,7 LUFS
Max momentary loudness -10,4 LUFS
Max short-tem loudness -12,1 LUFS
Loudnes range 14,1 LU
True peak L -1.26db
True peak R -1.13db
DC offset L +0,000%
DC offset R +0,000%

--- Not a Submission ---
Noize-Alarm! https://soundcloud.com/p-e-t-e-r-h/osc-126-temp/s-NKskm
Pretty tricky to orchestrate that level of noize to end up in a reasonable mix...I think it's not too bad for the second session already.

Quick question, since the use of Disto FX is allowed, would it be within the OSC rules to stack up on Disto FX instances as a filter bank along with some automation to get some formant-y or neuro bass-y sounds?

and an another question. now I'm new owner of mulab. for my submission I want use a distortion lead guitar. can I use a built-in distortion of mulab, which is right for me? this distortion is only overboostered and comp+eq, no phaser or so... unfortunately I can't find this sound alone with murda.

Another question. Is it okay to use Ableton Auto Filter with a sweeping notch?
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

basa333 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:07 am and an another question. now I'm new owner of mulab. for my submission I want use a distortion lead guitar. can I use a built-in distortion of mulab, which is right for me? this distortion is only overboostered and comp+eq, no phaser or so... unfortunately I can't find this sound alone with murda.
Nope - Distortion FX is usually not allowed. To be precise: Any FX that results in sounds that make the synths character unrecognizable are not allowed. That is how I read the rulze. There is an grey area, for instance using a tiny bit of saturation...But in the current round the DistoCore FX is allowed as well. That should do for a distorted sound anyways ;-)

OK, I thought, only FX with phase manipulation are not allowed. no problem, I make it at different way. thanks, have a nice day

Ok guys, although I am NOT the right person to talk about this, I once again give my opinions... or rather try to help to answer your questions.
exponent1 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:04 pm Quick question, since the use of Disto FX is allowed, would it be within the OSC rules to stack up on Disto FX instances as a filter bank along with some automation to get some formant-y or neuro bass-y sounds?
Most difficult one to answer for me. Closest thing from the rules relating to this
ANY Built-in effects native to the plug-in itself may be used. (So built in chorus / modulation / heavy overdrive / etc is allowed)
basa333 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:07 am and an another question. now I'm new owner of mulab. for my submission I want use a distortion lead guitar. can I use a built-in distortion of mulab, which is right for me? this distortion is only overboostered and comp+eq, no phaser or so... unfortunately I can't find this sound alone with murda.
Please use your best judgement when you consider the following rule.
Distortion: Please use distortion / tape saturation / bit crushing sparingly. Use your best judgement. Try to keep the original sound recognizable. Note that this does not apply if the distortion is built in to the synth.
Dirtgrain wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:59 am Another question. Is it okay to use Ableton Auto Filter with a sweeping notch?
I'd say this is pretty close to a phaser, isn't it?
Please note, that "Chorus, flanger, phaser, rotary, or related modular effects" are not allowed.

Also, I find that "I cannot achieve this without tool XY so it should be allowed" is NOT a valid argument. Do what you can with the tools that are allowed, and don't what you can't. Sorry this sounds a bit harsh, but I think this is what the rules are about. I know these rules have been stretched in the past (e.g. use of heavy distortion), without penalty most of the time. Please consider for yourself whether you want to encourage that spirit or not.

Other than that, thanks for asking! :hug: and thanks Peter:H for answering one of the questions already :)

Carl_saved wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:31 pm
exponent1 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:04 pm Quick question, since the use of Disto FX is allowed, would it be within the OSC rules to stack up on Disto FX instances as a filter bank along with some automation to get some formant-y or neuro bass-y sounds?
Most difficult one to answer for me. Closest thing from the rules relating to this
ANY Built-in effects native to the plug-in itself may be used. (So built in chorus / modulation / heavy overdrive / etc is allowed)
My opinion: I am a little surprised Distro FX is allowed. BUT - it is! :o So I would have thought we can use as many instances as we like in whatever way we like, just as we can with the synth itself? That is the normal rule for anything that is allowed - do what you want with it! Just an opinion :D

thanks for your opinions, guys, no problem, I can make it with disto FX. it's only a short guitar solo, not a main fragment of my track.

Return to “Instruments”