One Synth Challenge #126: Bazz::Murda by DistoCore (MrKarolus is the winner!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bazz::Murda Free Bazz::Murda Pro

BTW I noticed that the high pass filter on the oscillator can cause clicking when modulated by a tight filter envelope (e.g. 0s attack and 0.075s decay, 0 sustain on a sine wave). This in turn, e.g. with a bass boost, can cause clipping at the synth's output and generate a "stuttering" effect. (Live 10, Win10, x64) So, to avoid the worst (which is the stuttering at the output), do not boost the bass inside the synth.

exponent1 wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:22 pm
DistoCore wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:56 pm
Is there no retrigger or one-shot mode for the AMP/Filter envelopes in B::M ? I made a snare, but when I do some fast snare hits, the envelopes mysteriously overlap, making it quite difficult to make some fast snare/kick hits. Please let me know if this is a known issue, or am I missing something?

Also the note volume for consecutive notes is very inconsistent. I'm playing 16th notes on a simple single oscillator sine wave patch with a plucky ADSR and all FX disabled, but the consecutive notes all have different volumes. Is this is a bug or a feature?
So apparently using 256 or 512 buffer size for ASIO seems to fix this volume inconsistency. I was using 2048 as the buffer size before, when I was encountering this issue. Works fine now.

However, why is the filter envelope affecting the sound even when the filter module is disabled? Is there a way to completely bypass the filter envelope?

Carl_saved wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:54 pm Since you are planning to use factory M4L devices to generate or alter the input to Bazz::Murda (both MIDI events or parameter changes), it is fine IMO.
Thanks, I hope this will be confirmed.
Carl_saved wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:54 pm However, I would not use M4L audio effects. If we want more than the standard builtin audio FX we should use free VSTs that are available to all.
OK, I get it, I think your right. But I also think that audio effects like the convolution reverb, which is a factory device, should be authorized, since this is the only convolution tool in Ableton Live and other DAWs (maybe not all though) have their own.

I am not arguing, but honestly interested :) Can you explain a case where you'd want a convolution reverb because a conventional reverb wouldn't do the job?

There are free convolution reverbs, IIRC.
Is the LFO Max for Live device OK? I assume other DAWs have similar functionality as a stock component, but I'm not experienced with any other DAWs excepting a bit of time on Reaper.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

I never do neurofunk, it's not really my thing. And in trying, I feel a sense of fear...

Auplant wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:39 pm I never do neurofunk, it's not really my thing. And in trying, I feel a sense of fear...
Give it a go! What's the fear about?

exponent1 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:12 pm
Auplant wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:39 pm I never do neurofunk, it's not really my thing. And in trying, I feel a sense of fear...
I think I'm in deep water since I try something I'm not familiar with :borg: but I will give it a go and try to make some audio candy :tu:

Auplant wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:14 pm
I think I'm in deep water since I try something I'm not familiar with :borg: but I will give it a go and try to make some audio candy :tu:

anyway, I'm not sure if people will listen to me on this but - you don't need white noise to do percussion, try triangle/sine wave, filter and waveshaper :)
Same here, I think I might try Neurofunk too this time, so you'll have some company :D

exponent1 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:28 pm
Auplant wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:14 pm

anyway, I'm not sure if people will listen to me on this but - you don't need white noise to do percussion, try triangle/sine wave, filter and waveshaper :)
Same here, I think I might try Neurofunk too this time, so you'll have some company :D
Sweet :tu: I'm on 180bpm. Something artsy, have som ideas for it, some earlier sketch sounds like a haunted didgiridoo, but it was fun :lol: might even include that idea in the track...

Auplant wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:52 pm
Carl_saved wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:57 pm
Auplant wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:58 am @TrojakEW It depends, I listened to a lot of hardcore gabber in my youth and I still like it today. But I don't listen to badly made stuff, I know good artists.
Can you name a few? :)
Tha Playah, The Viper, Kasparov, Nosferatu, Ophidian, Promo, Dither

They're among my favorite artists.

[...]
Nice! I'm in. Though I doubt one can make top 5 with gabba/speedcore - way to off the limits for OSC.

I'm already running my track at 190bpm … it's going to be a take on the traditional trading 4's you get in jazz, BUT … that's where the similarity will end! :lol:

I wish I could get some better sounding cymbals of ANY kind (rides, hats, crashes!), puffing white noise sounds lame, but it might be all we can get. I have tried to get some ringing by offsetting the tuning of the osc's - really need to FM it somehow … :? :? :tu:

Any ideas welcome, and will be taken up by quite a few here I suspect … :tu:

dB

… and Peter, you should be the MASTER KING of this synth - looking forward to some awesome heavy hitting percussion track from you … or maybe you'll go all soft and do a mild ambient :D :D :D

Carl_saved wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:35 am I am not arguing, but honestly interested :) Can you explain a case where you'd want a convolution reverb because a conventional reverb wouldn't do the job?
Honestly I don't know. It's just a no brainer, you browse threw IR and you pick whatever you like instead of tweaking a bunch of parameter. :wink:

Hi,

thanks for all the latest posts here, it looks like there are some problems with Bazz::Murda :dog: and I'm going to have a homework for the next version :wink:

Concerning the filter ADSR -> unfortunately it can not be bypassed or deactivated.
As for the LFO system indeed it is very hardcore-kick-drum oriented:
Each oscillator has its own LFO, which is re-triggered on note.
The LFO frequency can be set to a frequency from 0-20Hz or synchronized with host's tempo by the following ratios 0.25, 0.5, 1.0, 2.0, 4.0, 8.0 or 16.0:
lfo_descr1.png
The three marked knobs control the amount of 1: amplitude, 2: frequency (fine-tune) and 3: filter applied to oscillator's LFO.
So in this example the 2nd knob is telling that the fine-tune will be varying +/- 0.2 semi-tone according to the LFO signal.
The LFOs are visualized in the "SCOPE" tab of the synth:
lfo_vis1.png
As for envelope overlapping, please try to set a very short release time for both ADSRs.
BTW: you can use the arrow buttons to copy the Vol./Filter ADSR settings in both directions.

So cool to hear that Bazz::Murda is used to some experimental neurofunk, drum&bass, hardcore and all other music genres :borg:
I cross my fingers for you guys.

Happy producing :phones:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DistoCore wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:22 pm The three marked knobs control the amount of 1: amplitude, 2: frequency (fine-tune) and 3: filter applied to oscillator's LFO.
Aaaaah ! This is a revelation for me. Thanks for your presence here !

Return to “Instruments”