Korg Collection (V2.0 released, GUI update!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
KORG Collection Special Box Presets For Korg M1 Legacy V2

JerGoertz wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:21 pm I'm gonna voice a somewhat less enthusiastic opinion than some here: most of these plugins are over a decade old, and graphics issues aside, they do show their age sonically (at least the strictly analog emulations PolySix and MS-20). They don't sound _bad_, but I never really even think about using them anymore.

The Odyssey emulation however has a top-notch sound.
The fact that you don't like them anymore doesn't mean that they have become ininsteresting. Many people love the 70s-80s musics, the prog-rock music is still alive in several genres and there are also many genres in simply the pop music, and many musicians make also albums today with these old synths. By the way there is a huge appeal for vintage instruments since the 2007-2010 years until today, either for the real ones from the 70s-80s either for their current emulations. Think all the Moog emulations, the Prophet emulations, the Roland emulations, the Fairlight CMI emulations, the ARP (2600, Odyssey, Solina...) emulations, the DX7 emulations, the Oberheim emulations, etc. Think of Arturia, U-He, Xils, etc. who make a lot of activity with these vintage emulations. It's not by accident nor by betting at the poker that they invest so much money on this market, it is because there is a real musical activity, and not only amateur but also professional.

It means that there is a huge market today for all these "aged" sounds, and not only to make "aged" music, because there are even house, techno, hip-hop, etc. musicians who use them today.

Yes, because they are not used only by 60 years old nostalgic users, they are also used by very young and very active current musicians. It is a mistake to think that only the ultra-modern synths are able to be used in modern current music.
Last edited by BlackWinny on Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

And my opinion is that Korg is making a huge marketing error by missing what happens currently on the market. Many things are not done on stage today but mainly in the studios (hip-hop, house, rap, RnB, etc.), and in the studios the software instruments (Massive, Serum... but also samplers and many software instruments of all ages) are much more used than many people think.

And I bet that it's not Urs (U-He) nor Xavier (Xils) nor Frédéric (Arturia) nor Richard (Synapse) nor Roland nor NI, etc. who will disagree with me.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.

BlackWinny wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:45 pm
Forgotten wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:01 pm
Watchful wrote:Thankfully, they're all 64-bit now.
I don't think all of the standalone applications are 64-bit, but all of the plugins are.
Exact. All the standalone applications (the .exe) of the Korg Collection are 32-bit, not 64-bit.

I have just checked with the excellent (and free) tool Winitor PeStudio.

Only Odyssey is 64-bit (and exclusively 64-bit).
I checked for MacOS - 'System Information' lists the standalone apps under 'Legacy Software'

BlackWinny wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:00 pm
JerGoertz wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:21 pm I'm gonna voice a somewhat less enthusiastic opinion than some here: most of these plugins are over a decade old, and graphics issues aside, they do show their age sonically (at least the strictly analog emulations PolySix and MS-20). They don't sound _bad_, but I never really even think about using them anymore.

[snip...]
Yes, because they are not used only by 60 years old nostalgic users, they are also used by very young and very active current musicians. It is a mistake to think that only the ultra-modern synths are able to be used in modern current music.
It's because generally speaking they sound good - they are good tool for making music. Some synths are more popular than other because they have larger concensus among those making music with them. There are also outliers to this. I've used many of the synths in the plugin collection and I enjoy having access to those sounds I used to use back in the 80's and 90's. The Korg Collection plugins sound good enough to me to be convincing. I wouldn't be surprised if they are different when comared directly with the originals. But they sound close enough especially caked in effects. Like everyone else I just with the GUIs were updated to be resizable.

That's a bit rich if they mentioned that hidden in the system infos of the files !
:evil:

BlackWinny wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:04 pm That's a bit rich if they mentioned that hidden in the system infos of the files !
You mean for MacOS? No, that section lists anything that is 32-bit, so it's a single place to go to if you want to find a list of anything 32-bit on your system.

plexuss wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:03 pm

[snip...]
It's because generally speaking they sound good - they are good tool for making music. Some synths are more popular than other because they have larger concensus among those making music with them. There are also outliers to this. I've used many of the synths in the plugin collection and I enjoy having access to those sounds I used to use back in the 80's and 90's. The Korg Collection plugins sound good enough to me to be convincing. I wouldn't be surprised if they are different when comared directly with the originals. But they sound close enough especially caked in effects. Like everyone else I just with the GUIs were updated to be resizable.
Yes, I'm exactly in the same mood for these gems.
Soundwise they are eternal... the problem is that the visual jewel case is now very cracked and really needs to be replaced.

Forgotten wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:12 pm
BlackWinny wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:04 pm That's a bit rich if they mentioned that hidden in the system infos of the files !
You mean for MacOS? No, that section lists anything that is 32-bit, so it's a single place to go to if you want to find a list of anything 32-bit on your system.
:dog: :hihi:

I must confess that I don't know at all the Mac systems.
:oops:

The fact that you don't like them anymore doesn't mean that they have become ininsteresting. Many people love the 70s-80s musics, the prog-rock music is still alive in several genres and there are also many genres in simply the pop music, and many musicians make also albums today with these old synths. By the way there is a huge appeal for vintage instruments since the 2007-2010 years until today, either for the real ones from the 70s-80s either for their current emulations. Think all the Moog emulations, the Prophet emulations, the Roland emulations, the Fairlight CMI emulations, the ARP (2600, Odyssey, Solina...) emulations, the DX7 emulations, the Oberheim emulations, etc. Think of Arturia, U-He, Xils, etc. who make a lot of activity with these vintage emulations. It's not by accident nor by betting at the poker that they invest so much money on this market, it is because there is a real musical activity, and not only amateur but also professional.

It means that there is a huge market today for all these "aged" sounds, and not only to make "aged" music, because there are even house, techno, hip-hop, etc. musicians who use them today.

I think you missed my point: It's not that I don't love, and that it's not valid to love, classic analog synths. This is my favorite "category"! It's that I think these old VST emulations sound not-very-convincing by today's standards. There are many better (more authentic?) sounding analog emu's available.
A well-behaved signature.

JerGoertz wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:21 pm The Odyssey emulation however has a top-notch sound.
Its the only one I use these days ... sounds great.

thecontrolcentre wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:40 am
JerGoertz wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:21 pm The Odyssey emulation however has a top-notch sound.
Yeah, it would be great if Korg went back and gave us 2.0 versions of the original analog emu's. They clearly have the chops.
A well-behaved signature.

JerGoertz wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:44 am
thecontrolcentre wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:40 am
Yeah, it would be great if Korg went back and gave us 2.0 versions of the original analog emu's. They clearly have the chops.
We can dream ... Id be happy with just bigger gui's :ud:

I guess my '66 Fender Strat isn't good for anything but firewood then...... :lol:
the secrets to old age: Faster horses, Richer Women, Bigger CPU's

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

CapnLockheed wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:23 am I guess my '66 Fender Strat isn't good for anything but firewood then...... :lol:
Probably...
https://www.acousticsamples.net/strategy

Return to “Instruments”