Which drum synth do you recommend

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm grateful for all the advice given in this thread.

Still researching.

Liked air music and stix, but don't like the pace. It knocked out my virus checker.

Tremor looks brill, but ain't cheap for a discontinued product. But still nice.

Am looking at Bong by xoxos next. Fingers crossed.

Will preview Ephemere too.

Cracking on. And thanks again all :)
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

btw anyone know where I can buy or get some drum midis (not groove monkee)?
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

gentleclockdivider wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:26 pm I made a microtonic clone in reaktor , it sounds great and has a 10 partial (in)harmonic editor , lfos run at 2Khz ( no slow event update rate ) and a sine shaper based on robin schmidt's functionnshaper , no sequencer
Super snapper snappy envelope ,..can also be combined with the audio rate lfo for modulation etc..
Tunable delay line / Comb filter for the noise section etc
I even got some praise from magnus himself :)
Comes in 2 different flavours :hyper:

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/r ... show/8339/
That looks really good! If I didn't already have uTonic I would probably be checking it out!

kevvvvv wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:12 pm btw anyone know where I can buy or get some drum midis (not groove monkee)?
The Loop Loft has a good varied range of loops, and Toontrack does some good bundles.

Have looploft. Toon tracks are more real drummer style, sort of old fashioned, like groove monkee

I'm looking more for modern edm style files I can play into some cool drum synth.

Thanks all the same.

kevvvvv wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:23 pm so toontrack are not dedicated to their own plugs? They're gm (ish) drum midis?
I got some a long time ago and I don't ever remember having a problem with them. Sometimes I move the note in MIDI loops to another drum anyway, so I sort of take it for granted that I'm going to end up editing MIDI drum loops, regardless of the source.

At work right now, but I can probably check later.

yeah, editing midi drum loops :dog:

actually I enjoy it, but am looking for good start points.

Halonmusic wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:54 pm Yes CM 505 is pretty cool :)
Just checked it out again and yes, its still absolutely usable if you dont have unrealistic expectations. The Kicks are definitely OK, the Hats and Toms and Snare1 are very early 80s, the Clap module is surprisingly versatile, only the Ride 'Cymbal' kinda blows (its more like a simple 'ding') and Snare2 is certainly nothing to write home about either. But all in all, if you need those kinds of synthetic drum sounds 505 will deliver.

(Which reminds me, the so called 'Cymbals' werent all that great in RMIV either, and i dont think they had really gotten any better in RMV. Not surprisingly of course, good cymbals (especially crash) generally seem to be more difficult to synthesize than a lot of other stuff.)

kevvvvv wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:10 pm
Am looking at Bong by xoxos next. Fingers crossed.
Some things you should definitely try with bong:

- vary knob: when turned left you will get a static sound which will always sound the same (like a 1 shot sample with no round robin). Turning it to the right will add more tiny random stuff and it will sound more organic. I have mine always completely to the right.

- noise knob: always different on all of the Instruments so they donˋt share the same noise sound

- under the big knobs you can find some small knobs. They are for the velocity. Iirrc they behave unipolar. Try different settings while turning the bigger knobs above them. Usually you will use it in combination with the volume knob in the amp section. But sometimes I don’t use it that way. Eg I like velocity within the CLAP section. Turn the small knob under AMP in the HALL (big knob completely left) section from the claps, low velocity no hall, high velocity with hall, now go to the STEREO section and keep the CLAP knob 100 % left and the HALL knob 100 % right. Now you have a mono clap on low velocity and on high velocity you will have a one with a stereo hall. And I always use it in the shaker section. IMHO bong comes with one the nicest shaker sound I have ever heard. Pitch, grain and rate mostly to the left, Filter to taste and the decay 1 shorter than decay 2. Add velocity to them and have some bloody fun.

- you can drag the small digits to get other models or audio out channels

I am not sitting in front of my computer right now so that is the stuff I remember.

And I always start with an init Patch. Not a big fan of the presets because iirc most or even all of them have no velocity at all which is a big shame because it adds so much to the game.

Anyways, have some fun. Great synth with a unique sound.
Last edited by Halma on Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Underground Music Production: Sound Design, Machine Funk, High Tech Soul

kevvvvv wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:30 pm yeah, editing midi drum loops :dog:

I mean I often edit the pitch of the note rather than do anything else to the file. For example, a MIDI loop might trigger a snare, but there might be a different note triggers a better snare; or I might want to replace a shaker with a hi hat or tamborine, etc.

Kick 2, BazzISM.

Or +1 for regular synths, Sytrus/Harmor for the envelope control.
Nova II, FL20+Fire, Sytrus, Transistor Bass, DUNE 3, Thorn, Viper, ANA 2 SynthMaster, Discovery Pro, Reason, SugarBytes, SoundToys, LION, TRIAD, Plugin-Alliance, T-Racks, AmpliTube, MODO Drum/Bass, iZotope MPS 2.
One Day: FLEXXX, Alpha Forever, Diversion 2

kevvvvv wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:23 pm Have looploft. Toon tracks are more real drummer style, sort of old fashioned, like groove monkee

I'm looking more for modern edm style files I can play into some cool drum synth.

Thanks all the same.
Most, if not all, of the Maschine expansions come with midi content that is appropriate for the style of the expansion.

Forgotten wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:57 pm

I mean I often edit the pitch of the note rather than do anything else to the file. For example, a MIDI loop might trigger a snare, but there might be a different note triggers a better snare; or I might want to replace a shaker with a hi hat or tamborine, etc.
I just want to point out that the m4l note midi mapper I referenced earlier will also work for this scenario.
So instead of moving all the notes from the shaker to a hihat, you just dynamically redirect all the notes of the shaker to that of the hihat. The 'wrong' note goes in the device and the 'corrected' note comes out.
http://www.maxforlive.com/library/devic ... ote-mapper

Generic note mapper vst
https://www.codefn42.com/notemapper/

Stefken wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:23 pm
Forgotten wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:57 pm

I just want to point out that the m4l note midi mapper I referenced earlier will also work for this scenario.
So instead of moving all the notes from the shaker to a hihat, you just dynamically redirect all the notes of the shaker to that of the hihat. The 'wrong' note goes in the device and the 'corrected' note comes out.
http://www.maxforlive.com/library/devic ... ote-mapper
This is just one of those things that I don't have to work as hard on anymore. Remapping note pitch is something that you have to do when your kits are monolithic. I even purchased ToonTracks's plugin for this back in the day. In Maschine you just load a different sound on that pad/lane and then when you're happy with it you can just save your new kit as a group, with or without the midi patterns.

If you find a pattern that you like, you can then just turn off pattern loading and rapidly try different kits by loading new groups.

As someone else mentioned earlier about a plugin being fiddly, that's what I find that Maschine isn't. I also have Ableton and a push, and Ableton does work similarly in some sense, but it's still a bit more fiddly.

Maschine is also brilliant for live recording, something I never felt was fast and tidy enough with Push. I regularly punch in to a pattern with Maschine. Seriously, a Maschine mikro is probably the best possible value for money that one can imagine in drum software if one is looking to do pretty much any electronic dance style. I think that it is especially useful if you are using a DAW that isn't as dance focused as Ableton or FLStudio. I really find that it fills in the gaps in Reaper for me.

Return to “Instruments”