Which drum synth do you recommend

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've no experience of drum synths much beyond pad-triggered sample players (battery, impact, BFD).

But last week I got 2together Audio's Kick Synth, really like it, and want more of everything!!!

I'd like to hear which drum synth you prefer.

I'm more interested in a comprehensive staple drum synth that'll last, rather than a cool but limited gadget.

Maybe with multichannel outs, midi import/export, bags of presets, nice tweakability

Your thoughts welcome :)
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

Kev, you might want to wait until MODO Drums comes out. It may (or may not) be a game changer.

Right now, I'm cautiously optimistic.

Outside of that, however, I use mostly samples that I've collected over time and load them into Battery 4. I also use EZ Drummer, STIX (for synth drums, which is arguably the best synth drum synth out there) and several of the Kontakt kits for specific periods like 60s, 70s, etc.

uTonic by Sonic Charge is pretty damn good, and there are a lot of presets available for it.

Very tweakable, and it has multi channel out, can be played with MIDI, etc.

$99 and you can download a 3 week trial version.

StiX and uTonic are bloody amazing, and so is Softube Heartbeat and FXPansion’s Tremor (though discontinued).

Has anyone tried AIR’s Drum Synth 500, is it good?

Interesting.

Am checking out all suggestions :)
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

I'm mostly using drum racks and samples in Ableton. I've been thinking about trying FXspansion Geist2 at some point.

Microtonic, Rob Papen Punch, Avenger also has a good drum machine ...

Modo looks well specified but it's a rock kit not a synth kit-based plug, like BFD which I have.

But the video was nice to watch. I imagine some people will be gagging for it :hyper:

Interesting topic! I’m in the market for a drum synth, especially tailored to electronic drums, too. „Back then“ i was pretty hooked when I tried tremor and was about to get a license but we all know what (sadly) happened, so no buy from me....
I think it was unique and reasonable deep/complex to craft something special in not time. On top of that, I found it very fun to use. A kind of fun I don’t find very often when I’m trying something new synth-wise. A lot of stuff is just doing the Job but tremor clicked with me for some reason. To this day I found no alternative. I don’t even know if I would buy a tremor 2 whenever it sees the light of day, cause FXpansion pulled some „not so cool things“ since the roli involvement...

If you happen to be using a Mac then Drumspillage is the bees knees. Otherwise I'd look at either Drumatic which I really like, or Waldorf's Attack.
Btw, none have a sequencer on board, don't know if that is important to you.

Aly James VSDSX 2.0

kevvvvv wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:56 pm Modo looks well specified but it's a rock kit not a synth kit-based plug, like BFD which I have.

But the video was nice to watch. I imagine some people will be gagging for it :hyper:
Yeah Kev. Well for pure synth drums, this is my toolkit

Battery 4
VPROM Linn Drums
XILS Stix
RetroHit
Drum Club Mega Bundle Samples

A note on Drum Club. It's a massive amount of samples. Make a donation and it's yours. I donated $13 and it was worth every penny. What he did was sample just about every drum machine that ever came out with every sound from each one. The whole thing is mind blowing.

I also plan to start using Voltage Modular. I think I can get some interesting sounds out of it, though it's not a dedicated drum synth.

Hope this helps.

Tremor
microtonic
Attack

ADM
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

ADM is ok
But XILS Stix rocks... imports samples (and they don't have to be drums) deep synth engines and interesting modulation possibilities.

Return to “Instruments”