IK Multimedia releases MODO DRUM

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
MODO DRUM

How about an option to load a drumstick click in place of the hand claps?
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

For those interested, you can get MODO DRUM for $100 off (and MODO BASS for $/€99.99) now.

Ryan is going LIVE at 4PM EST with MODO DRUM tips for more realistic and natural drum tracks:

https://youtu.be/Y97CIHIquho

Another update for you guys!

For anyone interested, we're now offering MODO DRUM at a reduced price as well as a 10-day DEMO period.

We know a lot of people were interested at release and we really hope you guys enjoy!

Full details here.

Also for anyone looking for more demos, check out the one from HIFIMIDI here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNNyIm3gEdQ
Make sure to keep an eye out on the IK Multimedia web site for future news and promotions!

Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter!

Ryan_IK wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:02 pm Another update for you guys!

For anyone interested, we're now offering MODO DRUM at a reduced price as well as a 10-day DEMO period.

We know a lot of people were interested at release and we really hope you guys enjoy!

Full details here.

Also for anyone looking for more demos, check out the one from HIFIMIDI here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNNyIm3gEdQ
Little confused. Say there's an update but the user area says version 1.1 and I'm on 1.1. Has the site not been updated yet?

”Update” here apparently meaning ”new information” (about the demo & pricing), not a new version of the software.

Yup. Though I'd like an update that adds brushes, a snare strainer throw-off, and an option to swap out those embarrassing hand claps with a respectable count-in stick click.

duplicate.
Last edited by jamcat on Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ryan_IK wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:02 pm Another update for you guys!
What is "Kick 1 Buried" on B0 and "Kick 2 Buried" on B-1?
I think these are new in version 1.1.x.

In v1.0, Kick 2 was on B0, and it is now on C0 (the v1.1 user manual misidentifies the note as C-1).

MODO DRUM 1.0 manual showing Kick 2 on B0

What is the difference between the regular kick and the "buried" kick?

I think it has to do with the playing style of holding the beater pressed against the drum head after hitting it, instead of immediately releasing it to bring it back, but I can't hear a difference between "buried" and regular kicks (buried should dampen the sustain), and the graphics show the beater bouncing back after a "buried" kick, just like a regular kick.

Also, shouldn't burying the beater be determined by the duration of the MIDI note, not a different trigger note?

I found about this plugin recently and have watched hours of demos. I'm a big physical modeling fan. Unfortunately I think MODO Drum was "doomed" (I say that facetiously, it'll obviously do well and work for a great number of people) from the start due to bridging two use cases. I'm interested in both use cases, but this seems like a miss from either.

The first use case is as a competitor to commercial sampled drum libraries (your SD3, BFD, GGD, Drumforge). The potential advantages of PM for this purpose are
1. Small library size and quick loading/switching between kits.
2. Continuous velocity layers and infinite round robins.
3. A large variety of sounds.
4. The ability to shape the sounds "at the source" (tuning, amplitude envelopes).

MODO Drums appears to fall short because:
1. The library isn't that small. My GGD library tops out at 15GB, 5GB less than MODO. SD3, the big boy, is only 40GB if you don't need surround sound, extra room mics, or extra bleed options.
2. It sounds to me like samples are blended into the shells for the attack, the "air", and the snare wires. That's a perfectly good workflow that I use all the time, but it makes the velocity and round robins only somewhat more fluid than conventional libraries.
3. Instead of infinite variety, the blended samples limit it to 10 kits. That's good, but not amazing. I have a GGD library with 7 snares and 4 kicks, and SD3 has 25 snares / 16 kicks (plus expansions). The cymbal variety (for me the most important part) seems to be fairly standard.
4. MODO doesn't have pitch/amplitude envelopes, doesn't have multiple mics, and you can't change or control the blended samples.

The second use case is the sound designer. For this aspect, realism is much less important. Realism is less important than designing hypothetical or even impossible drums. For this, you'd need parameters like:
1. A wide variety of drum sizes and shapes. Anything from smaller than a piccolo to bigger than a concert bass drum. Maybe the drum is shaped like a cone, or bigger on one end, square, or triangular.
2. A wide variety of materials and exciters. What about drum shells made of metal, or crystal, or glass? What about heads made of pigskin, paper, bamboo? Can I hit it with a tree branch, rebar, a brush? A 50 gram beater, 50 pound beater, 50 ton beater?
3. Full independence between the heads. A cone shaped drum could have a resonant end with a paper head tuned extremely high and a sheet metal batter head tuned extremely low.
4. Modelled snare wires. Long, short, tight, loose, metal, paper, etc.
5. Modulation of parameters. LFOs, velocity, pitch, etc. as modifiers allowing you to create custom articulations. That's where PM really shines.
6. Modelled cymbals. I know it's extremely difficult...but I've also seen a eurorack module (WMD Crucible) get much farther than I imagined was possible. Again, realism might be out of reach, but interesting new sounds aren't.

Real-time physical modeling is extremely difficult, so I don't fault IKM for the strategy they took. Complex modal synthesis (at least, it sounds like that to my ear) blended with samples is a good strategy for very useable results. I'm sure many people will appreciate what they achieved. But for me, deciding not to commit to one lane or the other leaves it stranded in a weird limbo. The sound design is too limited to work as a PM Synth, but the realism and options are too limited to compete with comparably priced sample libraries.

Need some input from MODO Drum users, please. I'm considering MODO Drum SE, but it only has 2 kits (Jazzy and Studio). From what I've read, that's the "only" difference for SE, but maybe that's huge. The IK video for creating custom kits is all about swapping out kit pieces. Do the controls/parameters in MODO Drum offer enough sound shaping capabilities to make SE worthwhile?

Thanks for pointing to this deal. 2 vs. 10 kits and all options to change the models seems a very good deal. I bet you get a half price for an upgrade to the full version as well (maybe on BF)...
Just downloading the demo, seems to be the full version demo, but lets see what it does...

I was disappointed, bought XLN Addictive Drums instead
___The Jepptunes___
"Accept All the Good"

Sound design for SQ8L and Alchemy

Tj Shredder wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:54 pm Thanks for pointing to this deal. 2 vs. 10 kits and all options to change the models seems a very good deal. I bet you get a half price for an upgrade to the full version as well (maybe on BF)...
Just downloading the demo, seems to be the full version demo, but lets see what it does...
Cool, I'll be interested to know how you get on with it. FWIW, I already emailed IK sales and was told, "There is no special pricing to upgrade from MODO Drum SE to MODO Drum."

telecharge wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:15 pm
Tj Shredder wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:54 pm Thanks for pointing to this deal. 2 vs. 10 kits and all options to change the models seems a very good deal. I bet you get a half price for an upgrade to the full version as well (maybe on BF)...
Cool, I'll be interested to know how you get on with it. FWIW, I already emailed IK sales and was told, "There is no special pricing to upgrade from MODO Drum SE to MODO Drum."
Thats a little disappointing, but is it because SE was free??

Return to “Instruments”