IK Multimedia releases MODO DRUM

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
MODO DRUM

Katzenberserker wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:01 pm If you're right, shouldn't different play styles (fast rolls vs. single hits for instance) excite the drum in different ways then? Hitting an already vibrating head, would sound differnt than one which is not moving, right?
Yes. The vibrations are kinetic energy already in the system, and additional impacts would add to it. Most of that energy is extremely transient, though, so it might not have as big an impact as you may think. I can't tell if the model takes that into consideration. That would be a question for Peter. I'm still waiting on answers to my questions.

A fully complete model would actually take into account how the phase of the transverse waves traveling through the membrane interfere with the next hit constructively or destructively, depending on the time and location of the hit. The maths are easy, but it would take a lot of computational power to model continuously, and probably wouldn't make much of a difference in the end.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

jamcat wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:53 am
Katzenberserker wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:01 pm If you're right, shouldn't different play styles (fast rolls vs. single hits for instance) excite the drum in different ways then? Hitting an already vibrating head, would sound differnt than one which is not moving, right?
Yes. The vibrations are kinetic energy already in the system, and additional impacts would add to it. Most of that energy is extremely transient, though, so it might not have as big an impact as you may think. I can't tell if the model takes that into consideration. That would be a question for Peter. I'm still waiting on answers to my questions.

A fully complete model would actually take into account how the phase of the transverse waves traveling through the membrane interfere with the next hit constructively or destructively, depending on the time and location of the hit. The maths are easy, but it would take a lot of computational power to model continuously, and probably wouldn't make much of a difference in the end.
Mind you, this is not just a drum thing of course. It’s the same for any vibrating body. It’s effect might be more noticeable on longer decaying mediums though, like piano or guitar strings.

Still the art of production and mixing is as much about the art of illusion as it is it’s creative and technical aspects. With all the added processing done to productions, along with drum replacement, we’d be hard pressed to notice these differences. Not in a full mix anyway.

In minimal production it may be more noticeable, that’s where attention to these type of details will prove worthwhile.

https://youtu.be/w8kMBeDBTtU

Note, the video doesn't actually show what happens with a subsequent hit, unfortunately. They reverse the video at the 18 second mark.

Thanks again for suggestions and comments.

This video uses some snare hit positions and such, and the song starts around the 0:30 mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ipe_1p ... 0&index=12

I bought MODO DRUM and while I do enjoy using it, I find that it is very quiet. For example, I have to add a compressor with a lot of make-up gain to achieve suitable levels. Is anybody else experiencing this too?

jdtay2 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:34 am I bought MODO DRUM and while I do enjoy using it, I find that it is very quiet. For example, I have to add a compressor with a lot of make-up gain to achieve suitable levels. Is anybody else experiencing this too?
Check your Mixer page, there are a bunch of settings that could affect MODO DRUM's output there. Also, each Element will have in-depth settings. Go to Customize -> Edit Element to see these settings. On top of these, there is a Master Volume (Lower right hand corner) and Master Velocity (Bottom left hand corner). Try adjusting each of the available controls and if you need any further assistance, check with the support team here.
Make sure to keep an eye out on the IK Multimedia web site for future news and promotions!

Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter!

Can we expect a holiday sale on modo drum?
Mac Studio Ultra, 64ram, 4tb+<4tb Samsung850-860evo ssd's in TB3 Akitio Enclosure> UAD Apollo x6-tb3/Yamaha2050/Amphion/Bowers&Wilkins/Komplete S61Mk2} latest OSX

Can we expect a Modo Guitar?? Can IK achieve the seemingly impossible and a make a realistic sounding guitar that is easy to use and sounds great with all kinds of techniques?!?

I think we can expect a virtual MODO guitar collection. And we probably will end up with something that goes a long way to helping artists who cannot play guitar to have a reasonably realistic guitar emulation.

When this will happen is anyone's guess. I'm thinking some time next year.
Little Black Dog - 2008-Present

So just to confirm - there are no brushes in modo drums? Didn't seem like it from the videos. If not, that seems like a big miss.

That's right. Currently:

No brushes
No throw-off for the snare strainer
No removing bottom heads
No stereo reverse to flip the overheads/room from drummer perspective to audience perspective
No Catalina support (Mac OS X Catalina support: No. Gretsch Catalina Club support: YES!)

I never got an answer to any of my questions, but I was able to figure out the Extreme kit is modeled on the Pearl Export kit, which was actually my first drum kit!

jamcat wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:04 am That's right. Currently:

No brushes
No throw-off for the snare strainer
No removing bottom heads
No stereo reverse to flip the overheads/room from drummer perspective to audience perspective
No Catalina support (Mac OS X Catalina support: No. Gretsch Catalina Club support: YES!)

I never got an answer to any of my questions, but I was able to figure out the Extreme kit is modeled on the Pearl Export kit, which was actually my first drum kit!
jamcat wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:19 am 1) Is there mic bleed? (That's probably the #1 feature that gives Superior and BFD their realism.)
2) Can you change the mic models the way you can in Amplitude?

3) What drumkit is the "Extreme" kit based on? (I have a pretty good idea of the others: Ludwig, Gretsch, Mapex, Tama, Yamaha)

4) The chrome snare in the DW North American Hard Rock Maple kit ("Rock Custom") looks like a model of a Supraphonic, and the black/brass snare in the Pearl Reference Pure kit ("Reference") looks like a model of a Black Beauty. Is that correct?
Sorry if any questions went unanswered. I've answered what I can below.

1) The is no "Mic Bleed" exactly. There is control over how much each drum goes into the Overhead and Room mics, as well as some other features like "Tom Buzz" or "Snare Buzz" on the Kick drum or "Tom Buzz" on the Snare. Try this out under EDIT ELEMENT. This should get you the effect you're looking for in a very organic way.
2) No, there are no microphone model choices, this is not the design of MODO DRUM. The focus in the physically modeled drums.
3) I'll have to see what kind of answer I can get you here. I don't have this on-hand.
4) Again, I'll need to check into what information we can provide. Thanks again for your interest.

While you can turn "Off" the bottom head by turning it's volume all the way down in EDIT ELEMENT, and we are working on updates to MODO DRUM for some features that may be interesting to you ;p you are correct, there are no brushes or way to turn the snare off. Thanks for the interest there. For any feature requests, please post to the official MODO DRUM wish list.

For updates on macOS 10.15 Catalina, stay tuned to the IK site and newsletter. We have an FAQ here with some updates, this will be updated moving forward as well.
https://www.ikmultimedia.com/newsletter/
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:28 am So just to confirm - there are no brushes in modo drums? Didn't seem like it from the videos. If not, that seems like a big miss.
We appreciate your interest here as well. I think this one is already on the official wish list, but if you'd like to post any other requests or interests, make sure to post to the official MODO DRUM wish list.

If you're interested, Professional Audio just awarded MODO DRUM the Outstanding award.Read more here.They found the the features in MODO DRUM very useful in tailoring their sounds to their tracks.
grdh20 wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:04 pm Can we expect a holiday sale on modo drum?
We have a couple software promos going on right now. Click here for a list. While I can't say what will be on promo over the holiday, the best way to know is to stay tuned to the newsletter.
https://www.ikmultimedia.com/newsletter
Make sure to keep an eye out on the IK Multimedia web site for future news and promotions!

Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter!

Ryan_IK wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:10 pm
3) I'll have to see what kind of answer I can get you here. I don't have this on-hand.
4) Again, I'll need to check into what information we can provide. Thanks again for your interest.

While you can turn "Off" the bottom head by turning it's volume all the way down in EDIT ELEMENT, and we are working on updates to MODO DRUM for some features that may be interesting to you ;p
Thanks for the reply Ryan.
I appreciate the straight forward answers.

Any info on those kit pieces yet?

Glad to hear about the updates. I hope an option to switch the stereo image from drummer perspective to audience perspective is added.

What's the deal with the overheads? Can't we get a good direct sound from the individual channels? Is it always necessary to combine them with the overheads?

Return to “Instruments”