IK Multimedia releases MODO DRUM

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
MODO DRUM

Katzenberserker wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:45 pm
wagtunes wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:25 pm Go to about the 19 minute mark.
And at 21 he's not at all impressed by the snare :hihi:
Well, we all have our expectations. Some realistic and some not so realistic.

And with that, I'm just gonna bow out of this one.

I'm happy with MODO Drum as I am sure many other people are as well.

You can carry on with your nit pick fest.

I want no part of it.

dee3d wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:54 pm I believe it's been mentioned by IK Multimedia that not only the cymbals are sampled but also some part of the drums too, most likely some of the attack. So with some very fast rolls where you can mostly hear the attack only and not the modeled body, you're back to samples and limited velocity layers. And from these posted examples looks like there aren't many of them, too. Just did a similar test with SD2 and the transition is much smoother there.
this is in the same vein from my earlier post in the beginning of the thread.....which went unanswered by Peter....if the PM engine is that accurate, it should be able to model anything in the membranophone family, which is why I asked about timbales and octobans.....the fact that they are limiting you to a narrow sweet spot, probably means one of three things....
1. they want to sell you expansion packs (I cant knock that hustle as a business need)
2. they weren't completely happy with the sound of the PM model, so they wanted to keep you bound in an area where you couldn't make it sound subjectively bad
3. its not really PM, its hybrid...sampled attack and synthesized envelope remainder....which is why i mentioned it all comes down to how how good it sounds when turning the dials all the way to left or right when there isn't a sample to mix with....cause then you cant really sound design your own drums...and as i said earlier, primitive hybrid has been around since dawn of workstation keyboard....although other hybrid PM makers are doing more sophisticated things today

kudos to them for trying to provide customizable tonal and timbre variety in a small footprint as a few other developers are too, because I personally don't want 200Gb of a kit, drummer, mic setup, and room I'm not crazy about with 90gigs of surround mics,.....and this is probably a good tool and another solid option,....but its usually better to be straight up, under promise, and over deliver....js
Music had a one night stand with sound design.....And the condom broke

bermudagold wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:53 pm 1. they want to sell you expansion packs (I cant knock that hustle as a business need)
2. they weren't completely happy with the sound of the PM model, so they wanted to keep you bound in an area where you couldn't make it sound subjectively bad
3. its not really PM, its hybrid...sampled attack and synthesized envelope remainder...
4. There is another possibility: it's like developing algo reverbs. The PM algos are dealing with complex modes and need a lot of hand tuning even for things that are based on standing waves, as drums would be (and why cymbals didn't get modelled at all). If you're going to package that up, you are going to want to hit the mainstream user rather than spend a lot of time on more obscure percussion instrument or the more out-there scenarios where you might as well use something like Chromaphone instead.

Katzenberserker wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:45 pm
wagtunes wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:25 pm Go to about the 19 minute mark.
And at 21 he's not at all impressed by the snare :hihi:
I hope people fact check you, that's not at all what he says there. He listens to his roll, says it could be better with some customization/transient shaping etc, makes some changes, is satisfied with the results.

I'm sensing an agenda here, I hope I'm wrong. We all have our favorite tools, maybe even some we're associated with (my association clearly indicated by my username, of course). I mean, you're obviously entitled to your opinion about subjective matters like the sound of a plugin but I have no idea why you're misconstruing things like this to mislead others into sharing your opinion.

But Peter, in the time I've been here (and a long time member at gearslutz though I NEVER go over there anymore) it seems nearly every IK thread deteriorates into some kinda finger pointing slag fest. Some people just have strong opinions and feel the need to to try and convert everyone to their way of thinking.

Or it's because IK M employees aggressively try to discredit any critique of their product and even start to suggest that their customers are from a competitor. That's the worst fallacy in an argument and I have no words for that.

Besides and just for the record: I love MODO bass and didn't use any other VI for electric bass since I got it. Amplitube ist my go-to Amp emulation, I don't even try my other plugins (I own several). So sorry that I'm not blown away by MODO Drums and sorry that I tried to point out what IMHO would help improving the product further.

I'm frequently paying people to give userfeedback and am always grateful if someone offers focussed critique by himself (and no, I'm not working for a music software company). But everyone can manage their product as they please. Good luck with your approach.

reggie1979 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:09 pm But Peter, in the time I've been here (and a long time member at gearslutz though I NEVER go over there anymore) it seems nearly every IK thread deteriorates into some kinda finger pointing slag fest. Some people just have strong opinions and feel the need to to try and convert everyone to their way of thinking.
I think it is because we participate and actually correct a range of misunderstandings, miscommunications, and such (up through correcting flat out misleading posts as above). I understand why other companies don't participate. They either don't want to don the hazmat suit or might not have a similar tack to IK's where we have almost entirely musicians employed here. I thank you for this input, it certainly is not lost on me nor do I disagree.

Edit - and strong opinions are good! There are so many constructive criticisms and suggestions that I get to pass along by being here, and I truly do appreciate those and hope they keep coming.

I do wish it had a few more choices for cymbals and maybe like someone else suggested a few other types of drums, such as rototoms would be cool.

I also want a gong for that Plexi kit -hehe

I think it is worth remembering that this is a 1.0 release. Anyone who has been around drum VSTs for a while could tell you what Toontrack and Fxpansions SD/BFD version(s) 1.0 were like getting on for 15 years ago - groundbreaking in terms of realism etc but not what we have now with the 3.x versions and the zillion expansion packs. The full mixers with inbuilt FX processors and multiple libraries with everything that opens and shuts came later.

It might also be worth considering the trajectory of Amplitube and other product lines from IK. If this product gets sufficient sales/interest, it will likely be developed further and the suggestions made here - some good ones so far from what I have read - could easily be making it onto the old white board at Chez IK.

@Peter:

sorry if this has already been discussed but does Modo Drum offer randomization?
I love to tweak all parameters manually to sculpt the sound I want but having the option to let the system suggest random values is indispensable today.

I mean controlled randomization of course with the abiliy to lock individual parameters.

Examigan wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:09 pm I do wish it had a few more choices for cymbals and maybe like someone else suggested a few other types of drums, such as rototoms would be cool.

I also want a gong for that Plexi kit -hehe
I didn't want to take out that first sentence but you know I'm passing those suggestions on to the team. What I really salivated over was that last line... Liking that one VERY much :)

enCiphered wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:25 pm @Peter:

sorry if this has already been discussed but does Modo Drum offer randomization?
I love to tweak all parameters manually to sculpt the sound I want but having the option to let the system suggest random values is indispensable today.

I mean controlled randomization of course with the abiliy to lock individual parameters.
Right now you can't click a button to pick random parameters (or kit pieces, etc) but I'll pass that suggestion along too. Thanks!

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:35 pm

Right now you can't click a button to pick random parameters (or kit pieces, etc) but I'll pass that suggestion along too. Thanks!
:tu: Thank you

enCiphered wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:37 pm
Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:35 pm

:tu: Thank you
You're welcome. I just sent a short version to the team. Two words. "Random gong". That's what you were all asking for anyway, right?

One can never have enough gongs :D

Return to “Instruments”