IK Multimedia releases MODO DRUM

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
MODO DRUM

Most drummer software packages that featured multi sample layers (with 10 kits - upgraded if necessary to get the kit count) will cost you north of $300.00 ... the Maschine stuff is mostly one -shot stuff. A fairer comparison in my view would be BFD 3 , expanded XLN Addictive Drums, Superior Drummer 3 or expanded Drumcore 4. Comparing retail prices Modo Drum is in the ball park. If you have a cross grade or some Jam Points it may offer serious value if you like what you hear and the software is solid.

We don't have consensus on the sound yet which we may never achieve (I'm really impressed with what I am hearing) and there are no independent reviews available. On price alone Modo Drums isn't disqualified if you factor in the real competition. If you have a cross-grade price or some Jam Points it could be especially good value if your ears like what is coming out of the speakers and you are compatible with the work-flow.

if it hasn't been mentioned yet in this thread, in where physical model shines like no other is the versatility that it offers to sound designers , how many different drumsets do we get with this plugin ? ...is there many sample based drum emulation that can rival with modo drums on that only point ?

depends on the depth of tweaking parameters and realism. it's of no use to anyone if it 1) sounds like shit the moment you deviate from the defaults, or 2) doesn't allow you to shape the sound in any significant way. without a demo and with IK's signature non-informative sound demos, there's no way to know that.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

benjamind wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:33 am I guess we will get an answer regarding the round robins for the cymbals soon ;)

20GB is a LOT of cymbal samples. 10GB is a lot never mind 20GB.
Yes there are many round robins on the cymbals, but it is not infinite like on the drums (since the cymbals are all sampled).

Loachman wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:32 am
Loachman wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:03 am
Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:05 pm
Loachman wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:35 pm @Peter, do you know when pre-orders end? I would like to get this but gotta wait for fundage. Sorry if i missed the date somewhere on the website.
We mention it in the news piece, but it is easy to miss. We're looking at August for the prices to revert, which is when we expect to release. Thanks!
Thanks Peter. This gives me plenty of time!!
Peter do you have a specific date in august when the pre-orders end. Is it the 1st or?
I do not but we are looking at early August at this time. Thanks!

@Scotty EZDrummer and some expansions might cover you pretty nicely - 10 kits and some nice cymbals to choose from.

The unique thing here is the physical modelling. I could see myself wanting to support people's efforts in the modelling space. U-He demo'ed some physically modelled drums at a trade show (the Messe?) some years back but I gather that is pretty much on the back burner from U-He comments on the subject over the interim. Developing phyical modelling tech is real work and I am glad that people are working on it.

egbert wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:23 pm @Scotty EZDrummer and some expansions might cover you pretty nicely - 10 kits and some nice cymbals to choose from.

The unique thing here is the physical modelling. I could see myself wanting to support people's efforts in the modelling space. U-He demo'ed some physically modelled drums at a trade show (the Messe?) some years back but I gather that is pretty much on the back burner from U-He comments on the subject over the interim. Developing phyical modelling tech is real work and I am glad that people are working on it.
Yes, it is extremely time-consuming. There's certainly a ton of R&D involved, thank you for wanting to support efforts in physical modeling.

benjamind wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:30 amThat's how I think of it. A rock band literally in a box :)
A rock band only has one drum kit, two at the most, not a million. It's total overkill. I've invested in Ujam's Virtual Bass (Rowdy) and Virtual Guitar (Iron) but I'm not interested in their drums (or anyone else's).
Krakatau wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:31 pmif it hasn't been mentioned yet in this thread, in where physical model shines like no other is the versatility that it offers to sound designers , how many different drumsets do we get with this plugin ? ...is there many sample based drum emulation that can rival with modo drums on that only point ?
Of course there is. Pretty much any and all of them, in that the samples are always just starting points for the final sound. Look at Battery as a very common example, it is brimming with tools for shaping each sample into the tone you want and it comes with thousands of starting points (samples) to step off from.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

benjamind wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:33 am I guess we will get an answer regarding the round robins for the cymbals soon ;)

20GB is a LOT of cymbal samples. 10GB is a lot never mind 20GB.
Not unheard of. Evil Drums for BFD3 is around 18GB of cymbals (incl hat) after the BFDLAC Tool which reduces the size on disk. Albeit I don't think it reduced these that mach. There are hat folders of over 2GB.

I would be bored to death with one kit after years of the embarrassment of riches with BFD, particularly 2 & 3. I choose drums as an orchestrator, I like taking time with it. I use 4 kits in the latest compo, around 35 cymbals. Because I can and because I like to work with sound.

Burillo wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:33 pm depends on the depth of tweaking parameters and realism. it's of no use to anyone if it 1) sounds like shit the moment you deviate from the defaults, or 2) doesn't allow you to shape the sound in any significant way. without a demo and with IK's signature non-informative sound demos, there's no way to know that.
Aye and there's the rub. The interest is in modeling and sound design but trusting a heavy-on-marketing-and-hype entity and there is no demo, or I can imagine them with the blast of noise every 10 or 15 seconds, that interest evaporates.
It's too new, we can't know what it is, trust is too hard to come by.

jancivil wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:27 pm
Burillo wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:33 pm depends on the depth of tweaking parameters and realism. it's of no use to anyone if it 1) sounds like shit the moment you deviate from the defaults, or 2) doesn't allow you to shape the sound in any significant way. without a demo and with IK's signature non-informative sound demos, there's no way to know that.
Aye and there's the rub. The interest is in modeling and sound design but trusting a heavy-on-marketing-and-hype entity and there is no demo, or I can imagine them with the blast of noise every 10 or 15 seconds, that interest evaporates.
It's too new, we can't know what it is, trust is too hard to come by.
There is no demo as it is not released, and is in the pre-order period. Edit: Redacted, may have had incorrect information.
Last edited by Peter - IK Multimedia on Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

What is the restriction, it balks when you try to save a preset? Times out?

jancivil wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:42 am What is the restriction, it balks when you try to save a preset? Times out?
Edit - need to check if this is correct.
Last edited by Peter - IK Multimedia on Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ok thx

Return to “Instruments”