IK Multimedia releases MODO DRUM

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
MODO DRUM

In modo drums demo song are distortion guitars use. How they are play ?. I dont think it is sample tank, because sample tank guitars sound not so good as far i know. I wish they bring a so called modo guitar that can sound as the guitar in modo drums demo song. all guitar vst sound not good on lead sounds as in song as garry more, still got the blues or Comfortably Numb (Pink Floyd). there need for guitar too whats for violin, trumped is standard, a good sounding automatic vibrato, so need not shake on pitch bend to do vibrato
win 10 64 22H2 intel i5 8600K (6*3.6 GHZ) 32 GB Ram

I've had Total Max 2 since it was released so buying anything IK now that will likely end up in Total Max 3 is problematic. Had this feeling since Sampletank 4 released and I guess it'll get worse.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:32 am I've had Total Max 2 since it was released so buying anything IK now that will likely end up in Total Max 3 is problematic. Had this feeling since Sampletank 4 released and I guess it'll get worse.
I am not sure if that is an IK problem specifically. Several software companies introduce new products and then bundle them up with their other product offerings after the new product has launched. If you do decide to buy now, there is usually some overlap with what has been purchased between the interval of the individual product purchase and the bundle. I am thinking of Izotope, IK, Native Instruments and others. You can in most case that I am aware sell/transfer some of the redundant licences if you do upgrade to the "Max", "Ultimate" , "Producer's Bundle" etc.

Scotty wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:02 am
WatchTheGuitar wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:32 am I've had Total Max 2 since it was released so buying anything IK now that will likely end up in Total Max 3 is problematic. Had this feeling since Sampletank 4 released and I guess it'll get worse.
I am not sure if that is an IK problem specifically. Several software companies introduce new products and then bundle them up with their other product offerings after the new product has launched. If you do decide to buy now, there is usually some overlap with what has been purchased between the interval of the individual product purchase and the bundle. I am thinking of Izotope, IK, Native Instruments and others. You can in most case that I am aware sell/transfer some of the redundant licences if you do upgrade to the "Max", "Ultimate" , "Producer's Bundle" etc.
You're right of course, but holding on for the full package upgrade is one of the few ways I can keep my G.A.S. in check. :) Hats off to Rob Papen and his Explorer bundle and how you get all new releases added in until the next major Explorer version.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:15 am
Scotty wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:02 am
You're right of course, but holding on for the full package upgrade is one of the few ways I can keep my G.A.S. in check. :) Hats off to Rob Papen and his Explorer bundle and how you get all new releases added in until the next major Explorer version.
I wasn't aware of the Rob Papen Explorer bundle. Good to know. Thanks for sharing.

@ Peter - is there any thought to how these would work with MIDI input from say Roland TD drums - ie in terms of mapping hi-hat openness, muting cymbals etc. BFD and Toontrack products for example are set up to work with eDrums.

Well, lots of the solo-demos sound pretty overprocessed .... IMHO.

The fx - they say 19 studio processors - but is there a dedicated list? (something like transient processor?) Ok, guess in the end one might bypass them anyways and use mixer plugins ....

Of course, it is a shame that cymbals are not modelled .... details on how one can control those would be interesting. Also, no brushes or mallets at them moment if I am not mistaken.

Well, it is a version 1 and therefore it seems interesting ....

best

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:18 pm
electro wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:15 pm What kind of snare and tom dampening parameters are we looking at?
There's a damp control but I don't believe we have settings like "wallet" or "duct tape" etc :) I've requested some more detail on the damp control, and will let you know more details when I have them.
There should be extensive A/B testing on this and enough parameters to achieve all those authentic dampening behaviors. Otherwise it negates the advantage of PM instead of samples.

It should also be per kit piece. Each Tom and Snare should have exclusive damping parameters.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

Just on modelling of cymbals vs drums: drums are comparitively simple structures - uniform mylar skins over cylindrical ply or solid shells. Cymbals are anything but uniform objects, tapered from middle to edge and often are worked in some way - hammered, ground, embossed etc. No two are the same. The complexity is huge and given the energy and high extension of cymbal's upper partials, any unwanted artifacts are going to be pitched up where we wouldn't like listening to them. We are much more tolerant of distortion for example in band limited systems (like AM radio or guitar speakers for example) than we are in full bandwidth systems. So, no doubt, cymbal modelling being attempted but, at the current state of the art/cpu load levels, the sounds are not better than samples.

electro wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:37 pm
There should be extensive A/B testing on this and enough parameters to achieve all those authentic dampening behaviors. Otherwise it negates the advantage of PM instead of samples.

It should also be per kit piece. Each Tom and Snare should have exclusive damping parameters.
I am not sure that I agree with that statement. Having some control over dampening doesn't negate the value of physical modelling .... it might limit it but negate is an absolute. My point is perhaps some control (if done well) still represents progress no?

Having some control over dampening doesn't negate the value of physical modelling .... it might limit it but negate is an absolute.
So I could you say that it . . . dampens the value.

Interesting how opinions differ. One person says the drums sound bad, another person says they sound great.

To me, they sound fine. But what do I know? I've only been playing drums for 42 years.

sounded serviceable to me but I didn't bother to find them exposed

given the limits of what you can effect with the drum models I think this isn't enough for this money, let alone for the cost from August onwards.
I'm a skeptical person, I see "advanced sampling of cymbals" (and 3 real hat articulations but wait, it's total control of teh aperture) but no one is here to talk about it, questions aren't being answered; I mean I can imagine being in business and if there was a breakthrough I'd have people really getting into it.
Last edited by jancivil on Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peter, I think it is fair that we tease out the details from the marketing verbiage. Can we have the manual? I have no issue with marketing in general but I do like to get into the details before taking the plunge especially given how many drummers I have purchased and are alive and kicking on my rig.

jancivil wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:53 pm sounded serviceable to me but I didn't bother to find them exposed

given the limits of what you can effect with the drum models I think this isn't enough for this money, let alone for the cost from August onwards.
I'm a skeptical person, I see "advanced sampling of cymbals" (and 3 real articulations but wait, it's total control of teh aperture) but no one is here to talk about it, questions aren't being answered; I mean I can imagine being in business and if there was a breakthrough I'd have people really getting into it.
i am feeling your music on youtube... please tell me you play the drums... it appears you have every rudiment covered in your music...

p.s. keep up the good work!!!

Return to “Instruments”