IK Multimedia releases MODO DRUM

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
MODO DRUM

I'm not normally a big user of IK stuff but wow that looks excellent.

This sounds excellent. Almost makes it worth installing that bloated custom shop gear credits thingamajig.
Last edited by zentatonic on Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

With regard to hi-hats, I thought I had posted this, but if not: We will have the following articulations for the three available hi-hats:

Tight Tip

Close Tip
Half Open Tip
Open Tip

Close Shank
Half Open Shank
Open Shank

Foot Open
Foot Close

We will also feature continuous Hi-Hat aperture control via a specific key and a selectable CC will regulate the aperture.

Plus, there be a shell beating position controllable via selectable MIDI CC for snare and toms.

Burillo wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:33 am
jancivil wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:23 am I'm pretty used to 1/4 and 3/4 tip and shank, if all hats are lacking that, puts a damper on enthusiasm.
is is all or nothing, as opposed to selective buys?
that's what i thought as well. only 3 hihat open positions (closed/open/half)? that's laughable in this day and age. plus, IK has missed an opportunity here to fix the "realistic transitions" problem once and for all. modeling could've been the answer to this, yet the thing i was most interested in (hihats) are sampled, not modeled.

worst of all, only three hihats? hihats are like the thing i miss variety on the most in other drum samplers, and MODO Drum provides only 3 hihats. even if the modeled portion of the drums sounded to my liking, i'm not buying based on that alone.
Yeah, the behavior of hats, I am vaguely thinking of sample-modeling hybrid (not that I know anything, but*) would impel me to look harder at this kind of thing. But that's just not enough. I do a lot of work with hihats and particularly 1/4 is crucial to me and I do 3/4 to closed a lot; {or} w. a variable CC; with this, you just need more zones than is given there.
"continuous Hi-Hat aperture control", if it's continuous, you sampled continuous but discretely there's open/half/closed tip and shank. :? Tight tip I have with BFD

I can't really judge the overall sound until I hear a demo of drums exposed, those tracks have a lot going on.

(*:"[tried] hybrid modelling on the hats/cymbals [...], found out it sounds phasey and...")
I think we've yet to see cymbals sussed by a model or even close
Last edited by jancivil on Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jancivil wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:11 pm I can't really judge the overall sound until I hear a demo of drums exposed, those tracks have a lot going on.
I was on the site last night and they have a TON of audio examples with exposed drums. Go to the main product page, scroll down a bit, and click "Listen to audio demos." A player will open at the bottom of the screen with a long track list. The first few are mixed songs, but after that are exposed drum versions of each of those, along with a whole lot more exposed drum demos.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/mododrum/

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:44 pm
jancivil wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:11 pm I can't really judge the overall sound until I hear a demo of drums exposed, those tracks have a lot going on.
I was on the site last night and they have a TON of audio examples with exposed drums. Go to the main product page, scroll down a bit, and click "Listen to audio demos." A player will open at the bottom of the screen with a long track list. The first few are mixed songs, but after that are exposed drum versions of each of those, along with a whole lot more exposed drum demos.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/mododrum/
Not surprising, I didn't spend much time there.

I am wondering what this will do for the hihat: "continuous Hi-Hat aperture control"
as there are just 3 different types: closed, open and half open.

Will there be a way to somehow fake other positions in-between those (such as 1/4 or 3/4 open etc.) or not? I couldn't tell by listening to the demos. It would be nice to hear just the hihat being hit with nothing else playing, and have it slowly opening up the hihat over time (with whatever the aperture setting does) to hear how it sounds.

What kind of snare and tom dampening parameters are we looking at?
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

electro wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:15 pm What kind of snare and tom dampening parameters are we looking at?
Great question. Damping is very important. Can we simulate tea towels, moon gel, a wallet, tape? Ok, maybe just some basic damping, but that's a must IMO. It's one of the things that's hard to simulate convincingly in sampled drums unless the drums were recorded that way.

Maybe a "My Pillow" in the kick drum? :hihi:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Examigan wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:22 pm Maybe a "My Pillow" in the kick drum? :hihi:
I'd never let that guy's pillow anywhere near my kick drum. :lol:

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:20 pm
electro wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:15 pm What kind of snare and tom dampening parameters are we looking at?
Great question. Damping is very important. Can we simulate tea towels, moon gel, a wallet, tape? Ok, maybe just some basic damping, but that's a must IMO. It's one of the things that's hard to simulate convincingly in sampled drums unless the drums were recorded that way.
And this gets at the crux of it....there are just so/too many parameters in the configuration of drums and in the way they are played, that have a large impact on the way they sound.....this is why I'm not a fan of the huge drum libraries.....because in less you are a fan/agree with the decisions of the guy configuring them, the guy playing them, and the guy miking them,...they are unlikely to get you the sound you are looking for no matter how many hundreds of gigs

The tradeoffs of PM have been known since its invention....PM has higher expressivity and higher performance realism than samples, but less tone realism than samples....if you have the higher intimacy interfaces (breath controllers, continuums, rolis, etc) and have the performance chops, ur likely to prefer PM because expressivity is more important to you....if tone is more important to you, ur likely to prefer samples.....which is why people like wivi, wallander, samplemodeling, SWAM, have made hybrid instruments trying to get the best of both worlds.....that isn't really new either as haven't hybrid instruments existed since the dawn of the workstation keyboard 25+ yrs ago when they used samples for the attack and synthesized the rest of the envelope to fit thousands of instruments on a tiny keyboard hard drive?.....so this seems more evolution than revolution

An eventual sound design tool to free design your personal dream drums would be huge.... but I doubt this lets you stray too far from what they sampled.....because ultimately it would come down to how its sounds when you turn the knobs to the max left and right, and there is no longer a sample to mix with.....for example there is a reggae solo on their site, but none of the kits have octobans, timbales, or bhingis.....so do they think we can approximate them within their modeling parameters?....for reggae you would still need a percussion library for woodblocks, cowbells, and vibraslaps.....we will see ;-)
Music had a one night stand with sound design.....And the condom broke

bermudagold wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:35 pm
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:20 pm
And this gets at the crux of it....there are just so/too many parameters in the configuration of drums and in the way they are played, that have a large impact on the way they sound.....this is why I'm not a fan of the huge drum libraries.....because in less you are a fan/agree with the decisions of the guy configuring them, the guy playing them, and the guy miking them,...they are unlikely to get you the sound you are looking for no matter how many hundreds of gigs
I don't fit any of those things and get along great with BFD3. I don't even do music in the genre's the drums libraries are produced for. I find them very versatile with what seems to me to be endless possibilities. Just offering a different perspective... mind you there are some parametric adjustments you can make per drum. I don't know if they use physical modeling or what but BFD3 is generally considered a sampled drum tool.

@plexuss: that's good to know that you found them versatile and without a narrow sweet spot or use case....thanks for the perspective....I'll go research BFD some more
Music had a one night stand with sound design.....And the condom broke

Return to “Instruments”