32(bit)Forever :)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

VELLTONE MUSIC wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:00 pm i neither understand,nor care about technical specifications about why 64 is better than 32,it's just not fair to all developers of 32 bit synths,their time and devotion to the cause aside that users can't play really useful synths :)Viva :)
i can agree, that there are 32 bits plugins that still are quite good. i have a fully 64 bit system, daws/plugins.
reaper 64 bits can load 32 bits, and there is also a 32 bit version of reaper still.

the main advantage: memory, especially, with soundlibraries. i do not use them a lot, only one or two times..

all plugins i want to have, and own, have a 64 bits version, or are only 64 bits.

WasteLand wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:11 pm

the main advantage: memory, especially, with soundlibraries.
Does that apply to anything other than film scoring or classical music ?

Pianoteq is a physically modelled piano VST that is pointing the way to the eventual demise of huge sample libraries. It will be CPU power that rules in the physically modelled future.

Well, here it's everything forever... the hardware, 16-bit, 32-bit, 64-bit... whatever works for the task. Everything is useful. I don't understand any of the bashing of something that is older than a few years. Upgrade maniacs. :hihi:

You can make great music with any of the tools made in the last ~40 years or so. The only problem can be: are you able to? :party:
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

dellboy wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:55 pm
Tj Shredder wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:15 am
In the mean time he advanced to 128bit just for opposing the main stream...
True believers do not stay 32bit to "oppose the main stream".

They ARE the main stream, its 64bitters that left the right path.

Its about ecology, and recycling, and of the tragic waste of precious digital noughts and zeros :hihi:
:D

DuX wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:57 pm Well, here it's everything forever... the hardware, 16-bit, 32-bit, 64-bit... whatever works for the task. Everything is useful. I don't understand any of the bashing of something that is older than a few years. Upgrade maniacs. :hihi:

You can make great music with any of the tools made in the last ~40 years or so. The only problem can be: are you able to? :party:
This :tu:

DuX wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:57 pm Well, here it's everything forever... the hardware, 16-bit, 32-bit, 64-bit... whatever works for the task. Everything is useful. I don't understand any of the bashing of something that is older than a few years. Upgrade maniacs. :hihi:
The problem arises when very few very vocal people demand things. Especially when developers don't go after how many downloads for the respective version there is, or have concrete statistics about who uses what, and then judge and act by people shouting on the internet or elsewhere. That's always the worst indicator, but, some devs seem to do that nonetheless, see here: viewtopic.php?p=7273268#p7273268

2 or 3 people in that thread demanded 32-bit, so the dev obviously turned in and compiled it for 32-bit. Now, project that on a company which does payware, and has the necessity to ration manpower into development. Should those companies serve the vast majority of people, or a vocal minority, which is descending more and more? I think the logical answer is pretty clear. And, it shows, with more or less all major DAW's being 64-bit only now, and the least with a bit bridge.

I have a single plugin which is 32-bit which i still would like to use, by the way. Terratec Komplexer. Such a sweet sound... i use the Tone2 Nano-Host in 32-bit for the purpose of playing around with it every couple of months now. Even though Komplexer actually has a standalone, i think. There was something flakey about it though, don't remember now.

dellboy wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:46 pm
WasteLand wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:11 pm

the main advantage: memory, especially, with soundlibraries.
Does that apply to anything other than film scoring or classical music ?

Pianoteq is a physically modelled piano VST that is pointing the way to the eventual demise of huge sample libraries. It will be CPU power that rules in the physically modelled future.
when you use big sound libraries, for instance, for kontakt, wit multiple instances or mult instrument is a big advantage.

for pianteq less. but if everything is 64 bit, and you have a lot of memory, i have 32gb, but mainly for video editting (it use quite quickly 15 to 22 gb), it loads more in memory, and also for the daw it is important, there is no 2gb limit anymore.

in theory it should work faster, but in practice?

i have arturia pian v2 by the way, modelling comes, indeed. but for orchestral stuff, i use libraries, or gonna use, nice for industral music...

but 64 is now the standard, it took a long time.

and still you can use 32 bit plugins, reaper is a solution. i own reaper because of one, 64 bit plugun, that only worked well under reaper. but i use it more and it is also usefull for 32 bits gems.

It shouldn't be such a problem to compile a 32-bit plugin when you already have a 64-bit plugin, but if your plugin uses 2GB of graphics and 200KB of DSP code that is actually making the sound... then that can be a problem. :hihi: I'm not going to mention any developers, but you and them know who they are. ;)

I really dig the Komplexer, too. Great synth. :tu: I have a dedicated XP OS just for all the nice old stuff. It can be really creative. Although, yes, Reaper has a really nice 32-bit bridge. It works great. :tu:
Last edited by DuX on Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

I was a bit disappointed with Reaper the last time i tried it (about 2 months ago, or so...). I installed the 64-bit version, which can bridge 32-bit plugins, and, it couldn't load 4 or 5 plugins i have installed (which any other installed host can load). Dunno if Cockos changed something about the plugin detection or so, but, it seems to be a bit weird in that regard now. It also didn't see some VST3 or VST2 versions of some plugins, which install both VST3 and VST2. Kind of odd.

DuX wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:34 pm It shouldn't be such a problem to compile a 32-bit plugin when you already have a 64-bit plugin, but if your plugin uses 2GB of graphics and 200KB of DSP code that is actually making the sound... then that can be a problem. :hihi: I'm not going to mention any developers, but you and them know who they are. ;)
The problem with professional payware plugins is that they also have to be tested, and, platform specific bugs need to be nailed out. Who wants to go on developing and testing for a handful of people in the near future? Can't see that.

Freeware is another thing. Although, when we're talking about commercial companies, it will be the same thing. Who wants to showcase some buggy software, even if it's freeware?
DuX wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:34 pm I really dig the Komplexer, too. Great synth. :tu:
Yep, i love it. Awesome sound. :)
Last edited by chk071 on Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chk071 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:35 pm I was a bit disappointed with Reaper the last time i tried it (about 2 months ago, or so...). I installed the 64-bit version, which can bridge 32-bit plugins, and, it couldn't load 4 or 5 plugins i have installed (which any other installed host can load). Dunno if Cockos changed something about the plugin detection or so, but, it seems to be a bit weird in that regard now. It also didn't see some VST3 or VST2 versions of some plugins, which install both VST3 and VST2. Kind of odd.
Same thing on my end. Although i have the 32bit version.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Whenever i tried Reaper in the past, it was pretty flawless in terms of plugin support. Dunno what happened. :o

It seems a bit buggy too. It likes to cash whenever it wants to. But great daw nonetheless.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Halonmusic wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:43 pm It seems a bit buggy too. It likes to cash whenever it wants to. But great daw nonetheless.
That's the price for over-development and too many [unnecessary?] features, I guess. Whenever I mention that, I get bashed by the features maniacs at Reaper forum. :roll: Reaper 4 was and is the best Reaper ever. 5 is not that bad, but I am simply afraid of what 6 is going to be like. I think I don't want to know. :lol: I've been a Reaper user since the beginning. v0.9 or so.

Return to “Instruments”