Do Over - the Essentials

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BONES wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:23 pm
jeffb01 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:42 pmYou are the third person in this thread to choose 5 or 6 synths and put Diva and Legend or Monark. I asked before but no one replied. Obviously you like Diva, but it must not meet all you moog needs. Is it not Moogy enough? Can you elaborate?
I'll ask you a question - why is that important? Actually, why is it a thing at all? It seems like such a limiting approach. I love the sound of my Analog Keys but I'm not looking for a softsynth that sounds exactly the same or that does exactly the same things. Something that kind of reminded me a bit of the AK's sound would definitely get my attention but if it was a slavish reproduction with all the same foibles and limitations, I wouldn't be interested at all. And that's a synth that's about 100 times more versatile than a Minimoog and sounds about 100 times better into the bargain.
Well, that's the thing. These people all picked a second instrument that was a straight reproduction. So they are paring down their synths to the bare essentials and they pick an synth with moog oscs, moog filter, and moog envelope and then pick another synth with a moog oscs, moog filter, and moog envelope, which seems redundant for a bare essential list - so I was curious to why.

wagtunes wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:17 am
BONES wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:24 pm Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should do it.
I'm not even sure what this means. Are there rules about what music you can and can't do? If so, I wasn't aware of them.
That's because you are completely lacking a sense of humour. Did your parents have it surgically removed at birth?
wagtunes wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:11 amWhat I have noticed is that there are some nasty people in this forum. My ignore list is growing daily.
Surely you have noticed by now how you tend to bring that out in people? Honestly, I don't really get it but you definitely seem to get on some people's tits without even trying. It's something you should probably be more aware of (assuming that you give a shit, of course).
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:43 am The thing is that these days you don't really need money with amazing sounding synths like TRK-01 Play (if you were quick enough) ...
The bass module from TRK-01 is now included in Komplete Start, so it's still free and easily available for anyone to grab. Just thought i'd mention it.

Noumena wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:33 am
wagtunes wrote: What I have noticed is that there are some nasty people in this forum. My ignore list is growing daily.
i’m not sure what to say. Yes there are nasty people but you, sir, you are the most aggravating, narcissistic, challenging person on this forum. You are, as we say where I am from, a HOT MESS. Get help. No one is interested in your endless posts about how you are not buying this or that. Good god.
And another log on the fire.

BONES wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:27 am
wagtunes wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:17 am
BONES wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:24 pm Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should do it.
I'm not even sure what this means. Are there rules about what music you can and can't do? If so, I wasn't aware of them.
That's because you are completely lacking a sense of humour. Did your parents have it surgically removed at birth?
wagtunes wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:11 amWhat I have noticed is that there are some nasty people in this forum. My ignore list is growing daily.
Surely you have noticed by now how you tend to bring that out in people? Honestly, I don't really get it but you definitely seem to get on some people's tits without even trying. It's something you should probably be more aware of (assuming that you give a shit, of course).
You're right. Around this place, I have no sense of humor. As for bringing the worst out in people, I don't think it takes much effort. That there are people here who are actually nice to me and, shudder the thought, even like me, leads me to believe that I could piss people off reading the dictionary.

FTR, my remark was not directed at you. But I truly did not understand what you meant by your comment "doesn't mean you have to". If it was humor, sorry. Didn't get the joke. I miss a lot of them around this place.

Anyway, hope there are no hard feelings. I meant no disrespect. I was just honestly puzzled by your response.

Have a happy 4th.

BONES wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:24 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:57 am Paper
Comb
Wax-Cylinder
Please never post the results.
There's an ambient album on the way. You won't be able to stop yourself :shrug:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:44 am
Comb
Wax-Cylinder
Comb filtering... mmmmmmmmmm

toonertik wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:42 pm
Comb
Wax-Cylinder
It’s an essential subtractive synth: the Paper of course produces white noise, the Comb filters it, and the Wax cylinder adds ana log warmth with LFO...
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

:D

Michael L wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:55 pm
toonertik wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:42 pm
Comb
Wax-Cylinder
It’s an essential subtractive synth: the Paper of course produces white noise, the Comb filters it, and the Wax cylinder adds ana log warmth with LFO...
I did some extensive testing with oscilloscopes and all on paper...
Pink paper produced pink noise (as we'd expect) but OMG the aliasing was massive... (though I have been informed it is just harmonics :shrug: )
Brown paper was warm.... verily analog
Maybe I'll post a video on U_tub... or NOT!

:hihi:

wagtunes wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:40 am leads me to believe that I could piss people off reading the dictionary.
It's not personal! ANYONE READING A WHOLE DICTIONARY would be annoying and piss people off. Your conduct on this forum is that you really, really, post a lot. About software that you don't own, about things that you don't have any input or information to offer about... just about *your* thinking, your preferences, your ideas. The sheer number of times I have read a post by you about something that either you don't own, or (good lord) something that you've decided to never even try, or your opinions about the conduct of a company or a price.... it's literally thousands and thousands of posts.

You have posted one out of every 300 posts on this WHOLE FORUM in just the last 4.5 years. For me it is literally too much. It is pollution. And often what you are posting is toxic.

I'm sure you're a likable guy but I don't know you. I'm trying to use a forum about audio software and you are CONSTANTLY READING THE DICTIONARY.

So please. Please! Be your likable self. Just think about where you are and what you are doing. If everyone here participated like you do this would be a wholly unusable chat forum. Know your audience, think before you post. I submit maybe 1/10th of the posts that I write, always asking: will this help the community? Do I have a question? Is there something that I am adding?

Peace and (I mean it) love,
me

wagtunes wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:40 amThat there are people here who are actually nice to me and, shudder the thought, even like me, leads me to believe that I could piss people off reading the dictionary.
I think that might be part of the problem, right there. Why care what people think of you? Nobody here actually knows you, they only see a tiny aspect of the person you are so they have no hope of any kind of objective character assessment. Just look what they write, their opinions are, by and large, not worth a whole lot so why give them power over you by giving a toss whether or not they are nice to you? Not a lot of people around here are nice to me but that's fine, I don't need them to be. I don't even want them to be, if I'm honest.
Anyway, hope there are no hard feelings. I meant no disrespect. I was just honestly puzzled by your response.
You probably didn't read it in the context of the other responses contained in the same reply.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

martinjuenke wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:29 pm Logic Pro (incl. Alchemy) (and perhaps NI Komplete Standard)
I'd go a bit further and say just Logic Pro with nothing else. Alchemy, Sculpture, RetroSynth and ES2 from Logic Pro would be all I would need.

If I did it all over again, I would divide my available time by the amount of time it took me to master an instrument, and stop demoing when I owned that handful. My biggest risk is curiosity!
Because I have a strong affinity for musique concrete and field recordings, my handful is sample-based instruments: Alchemy, Rhino, Iris 1/2, TAL Sampler, WusikStation; models of physical sounds (AAS suite); and MuLab which is the best for hands-on visualization of sounds.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

I would never have sold my Teisco 110F :dog:
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

Return to “Instruments”