Rob Papen B.I.T Synth

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

DJErmac wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:09 pm That's not the sound I enjoy the most. Imho BIT is not enough "in your face".
You're right, it's definitely not as "in your face", bright, whatever as other synths. Rather a bit soft. Not unpleasant to me though.

Can I order this without the bacon?
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Sounds nice enough, but not much different from Predator or certain Blue patches even. Definitely seeing a lot of overlap in his synths. Vecto was like a lighter one page Blue. Go2 was like a lighter Predator. No BIT is like a lighter of both with just the VA part, but still enough functionality to go outside of vintage VA territory into what ends up sounding a lot like predator and Blue. I guess it's nice that there are these more stripped down versions if people don't want the big complex synths. Vecto and BIT seem like a nice combo for those who prefer simpler synths. RP Synths do definitely have a sound but it's a pretty nice sound. Like how Tone2 has a sound.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:34 pm Sounds nice enough, but not much different from Predator or certain Blue patches even. Definitely seeing a lot of overlap in his synths. Vecto was like a lighter one page Blue. Go2 was like a lighter Predator. No BIT is like a lighter of both with just the VA part, but still enough functionality to go outside of vintage VA territory into what ends up sounding a lot like predator and Blue. I guess it's nice that there are these more stripped down versions if people don't want the big complex synths. Vecto and BIT seem like a nice combo for those who prefer simpler synths. RP Synths do definitely have a sound but it's a pretty nice sound. Like how Tone2 has a sound.
For those who are in the RP ecosystem and like his sound/GUI style, I'm sure this is a nice little synth if looking for something super fast to program. It seems it's there to round out the RP catalogue, sensible addition IMO.

The RP sound... I don't know what to make of it. I've always had weird experiences demoing his synths. When listening to the raw sounds (in general, not his specific synth :hihi: ), I always tend to dislike the sound... but when combined into a completed preset, suddenly everything is quite pleasing. As if the phrase "garbage in = garbage out" doesn't apply to his synths... garbage in = good out. WTF? But I'm positive this is some kind of psychological bias on my part -- I AB tested the init Saw waves of a favorite synth and Blue II, level matched, and thought they're basically the same. Yet my non-AB reaction to my favorite synth was positive and Blue II negative. Perhaps a familiarity bias from the GUI or something, color scheme, knob choices...who knows.

Now that I've gained strong proficiency with FM programming, I have half a mind to pick up Blue 2 as I'm better equipped to make use of the synth... but it seems the demo can't be run/installed a second time. I tried it almost two years ago on this machine... I wouldn't mind giving it another run :neutral:

With this new synth coming out I took a minute to look at his catalog again. I used to have Blue and loved it and never got aroudn to getting again, though always thought about it. Taking a longer look at Vecto it's clear that they were basically trying to get Blue into Reason and cut it down, but kept as much important stuff as possible in a neat package with a single page interface. And actually as someone who likes single page synths and having less parameters to map out to control surfaces, I kind of appreciate the design of Vecto. He mentioned they originally made it just for Reason, which makes sense since they already had Blue for VST, but people wanted Vecto as VST as well so I guess that's why the overlap. Anyways, it's looking most interesting to me. Some really lovely sounds there. The sound of Blue but simplified.

I like!

Sweet Dreams at 32:57
Vangelis at 45:44
PopCorn at 49:08
https://youtu.be/xqwNE6qIYuo

I like too. I give a hoot about internal sequencer on an analog (arp is nice tho) but I have to say I like this a lot... not sure what you guys are hearing TBH. Pictus, this generation is just going to tune out with a one hour video, nobody has that much attention anymore, but this sounds good to me.

alonl6 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:06 pmWhat a bunch of bozos. You like to go down on him.
No!?! You don't even realise that you've just made the funniest joke ever on KVR, do you?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

recursive one wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:27 am... yet another synth restricted to basic analog sounds is the last thing the world needs.
Let's be honest, you can say that about the whole market, not just the V/A segment of it. We can make any kind of sound we can imagine, as well as plenty that we can't. All that happens these days is taking all the elements and combining them in different ways, in the hope of attracting an audience. And to be clear, I am fine with that because it results in things like TRK-01 that take me in different directions to the same old synths with the same old layout and workflow.

In this particular case, I can't see the point. Maybe if I could be bothered downloading and testing it, I might find something worthwhile but it's hard to see what makes it worth $30 more than Go2.
Sinisterbr wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:06 pmYeah, I agree, just like Arturia and Air. They all have it's own sound.
Really? I don't hear any of Vacuum Pro in Hybrid or vice versa.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Dasheesh wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:13 am I like too. I give a hoot about internal sequencer on an analog (arp is nice tho) but I have to say I like this a lot... not sure what you guys are hearing TBH. Pictus, this generation is just going to tune out with a one hour video, nobody has that much attention anymore, but this sounds good to me.
Yeah, the attention span line is BS. Attention spans haven't gotten worse... feigning interest for the sake of being polite has simply gone extinct, and filters for marketing haven gotten sharper -- if something isn't interesting or smacks of BS, it will get ignored, feelings be damned. If I feel like watching an hour long video, I do. If I don't, I don't. That simple.

BIT does sound nice. It is quite basic and I already have this niche well-covered by my stable of synths, so I'm not in the market for it. But as I said, if someone is looking for a fast/simple synth with a good sound, seems like a fine option, especially if they've already invested into the RP ecosystem. Personally, if I jump into RP waters, it would probably be for Blue 2.

I'd never watch an hour long video on YouTube. If you can't deliver your message in under 10 minutes, you're not worth listening to as far as I'm concerned. And it has nothing to do with short attention spans, it's about being time poor and having better things to do with what small windows of opportunity I have.

BONES wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:32 am
recursive one wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:27 am... yet another synth restricted to basic analog sounds is the last thing the world needs.
Let's be honest, you can say that about the whole market, not just the V/A segment of it. We can make any kind of sound we can imagine, as well as plenty that we can't. All that happens these days is taking all the elements and combining them in different ways, in the hope of attracting an audience. And to be clear, I am fine with that because it results in things like TRK-01 that take me in different directions to the same old synths with the same old layout and workflow.
I do see your point. It may happen that a synth which doesn't seem to offer anything new in terms of features actually makes it because of the sound character or the workflow.

Thing is i really do think that the 80s were the most boring era of electronic music and all sounds invented in the 80s have been covered by softsynths at leats twice so i immediately ruled out this synth. But i may demo it at some point.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

That's taking a very narrow view of what a synth is capable of. I am attracted to a synth that is known for 80s sounds because it means it will probably have all the features I need for what I do, which is a very long way from most 80s sounds. But if a synth has a good Jump preset and can do a passable job of Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This), I know I am going to be able to twist it to do what I want it to do. That's because it's a synthesiser and it can do much more than just one thing. I'd say the 90s was generally a far more boring time for synths, with ROMplers ruling the roost for most of it.

BONES wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:13 am That's taking a very narrow view of what a synth is capable of. I am attracted to a synth that is known for 80s sounds because it means it will probably have all the features I need for what I do, which is a very long way from most 80s sounds. But if a synth has a good Jump preset and can do a passable job of Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This), I know I am going to be able to twist it to do what I want it to do. That's because it's a synthesiser and it can do much more than just one thing. I'd say the 90s was generally a far more boring time for synths, with ROMplers ruling the roost for most of it.
+1 This.
I’m not a synth expert, but my 52 yr. old hide completely agrees with you. *Grin.
Thanks & God Bless,
Bro. Charles
Reviewer's Revival Blogsite | Facebook

Looks like a freeware synth .. doesn’t seem to have a lot of features .. I guess it’s purpose in life is to round out some sales bundle?

Return to “Instruments”