One Synth Challenge #124: MSoundFactory by MeldaProduction (Schiing Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Well, I ain't touching Melda... even if I had time, it's too alien for me and leaves me uninterested to explore. :shrug:
Pity, because I would've loved to do some music "for a reason", hahaha. But next month I hopefully can join again.

:tu: :tu:

Nice and interesting sounds!

Taron wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:44 pm Well, I ain't touching Melda... even if I had time, it's too alien for me and leaves me uninterested to explore. :shrug:
Pity, because I would've loved to do some music "for a reason", hahaha. But next month I hopefully can join again.
Ha, ha. Good explanation and I feel you! I'm going to try but getting busy at work so may not get done. Keeping it simple. I think this is a very good sounding, very deep synth with a GUI that needs a lot of help.

I'm having an absolute blast with this synth! I'm getting some really good results, it's super good at physically modelled sounding stuff. Also being able to FM anything means I'm happy :D

This synth is really good for percussion, I think I'm getting some of my best sounds.

I think this is the first synth I've had with Frequency Shifting as an effect, I've been getting some really interesting results with it.

As an FL user I'm used to all the popups, and the UI is quite complex looking but I've found it quite logically laid out in general after the first session. There are some things hidden away that should be easier, like portamento and legato etc.

Btw, I read in the Melda thread that to do true random for any dice you need to hold down Alt when you click the dice button! I need to try that out later.

mclstr wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:36 pm
Ah_Dziz wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:58 pm So are analyses wavetables legit here or no? I’ve got some that I use often in synths that support them that add a whole lot to percussive type noises.
A very high percentage of us would love to use wavetables or even full samples to save time.
I have to agree that we want to do what you know works easily, but you learn a lot about synthesis when you have to craft the same sound using new methods. It can be very rewarding in the end.

I would gladly take on this month's challenge if MSF didn't require "Wine" to run on Linux. My computer is too wimpy:-)
The short answer to this is that I have already made wavetables of meticulously created, modulated pulse clusters for making 808 style cymbal noises. This can all be done with the synth engine (at a relatively large cpu cost) but it will sound essentially the same. I’m not trying to drop in pre-made sounds. I’ve gotten close using the fm modules in msf and it’s the cheapest way to make a similar sound. I really just want to know what can or can’t be used considering the flexibility of the synth. Outside the drummer module, it doesn’t seem like you can just use samples anyway. I’ve done a few of these contests now, but I don’t remember one that was quite this flexible. What I’m talking about is importing a collection of single cycle waves to the wavetables module.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Ah_Dziz wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:10 pm What I’m talking about is importing a collection of single cycle waves to the wavetables module.
We're allowed to import 2 single cycles per wavetable, and then morph between them.
Or import a simple wavetable we created using another tool to morph between 2 single cycles if the synth doesn't have a wavetable editor (MSF does though).

We're not allowed to import a wavetable that was included or made using another synth (Excluding a simple 2 cycle morph).

However we can create a wavetable inside the synth, using the tools to draw as many frames or apply warp modes etc using the tools/editor included in the synth!

We're not not allowed to exporting/capture a sound from MSoundFactory or any other synth and bring that back in as a wavetable (no resynthesis/importing, but if you do it inside the synth it's ok).

I hope that clears things up a bit :phones:, maybe we need to update the rules with some details regarding wavetables. I'm not making these rules up, I'm relaying what's been agreed in previous rounds with wavetables, because this always comes up.

Directly answering your initial question. Yes you can import a collection of single cycle waves - up to 2. More than 2 isn't allowed, but you can morph between them.

Ranoka wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:23 pm
Ah_Dziz wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:10 pm What I’m talking about is importing a collection of single cycle waves to the wavetables module.
We're allowed to import 2 single cycles per wavetable, and then morph between them.
Or import a simple wavetable we created using another tool to morph between 2 single cycles if the synth doesn't have a wavetable editor (MSF does though).

We're not allowed to import a wavetable that was included or made using another synth (Excluding a simple 2 cycle morph).

However we can create a wavetable inside the synth, using the tools to draw as many frames or apply warp modes etc using the tools/editor included in the synth!

We're not not allowed to exporting/capture a sound from MSoundFactory or any other synth and bring that back in as a wavetable (no resynthesis/importing, but if you do it inside the synth it's ok).

I hope that clears things up a bit :phones:, maybe we need to update the rules with some details regarding wavetables. I'm not making these rules up, I'm relaying what's been agreed in previous rounds with wavetables, because this always comes up.

Directly answering your initial question. Yes you can import a collection of single cycle waves - up to 2. More than 2 isn't allowed, but you can morph between them.
Thanks very much for the info.

JJ
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

I have recorded words (i.e. not using a synth) and manipulated them to a resolution where I can split it into two parts and squeeze it into two slots of a WT osc - allowed yes/no?
I used two arbitrary sample slices of a Melotron Sample and used them in a WT slot - allowed yes/no?

] Peter:H [ wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:42 pm
I have recorded words (i.e. not using a synth) and manipulated them to a resolution where I can split it into two parts and squeeze it into two slots of a WT osc - allowed yes/no?
I used two arbitrary sample slices of a Melotron Sample and used them in a WT slot - allowed yes/no?
It doesn't matter how you made the single cycles, or where they're from, so recording a synth or your voice and extracting single cycles is absolutely fine. As long as you're only building the wavetable from 2 single cycles when importing them it's legal.
If you want to mangle a sample into a single cycle, that's also acceptable, as long as it's one frame in the wavetable editor :D

I had a go at importing one of the Massive wavetables, and some are just made up of two single cycles. I guess we could also import a more complex wavetable and delete all but 2 of the frames (single cycles). I got the Massive wavetables from here, you have to sign up to their email list (it's at the bottom of the Samples and Presets section).

Using wavetables is a grey area because they can be abused to play back samples, which goes against the spirit of OSC. The 2 single cycle rule is there so we can use wavetable synthesis still without the temptation of using it like a sampler.

Of course, if someone wanted to 'cheat' they could always bend the rules by importing dozens of single cycles and play them back in sequence from different oscillators - but that's not really in keeping with the spirit of OSC.

Here's my submission. It's not finished, but the movers come Thursday and I've been sidetracked with that and other things. Still wanted to submit what I've got. MSoundFactory grew on me...I think it really is capable of anything.

https://soundcloud.com/the-never-scene/ ... ne-osc-124

20 Instances of MSF. All sounds from scratch, no wavetables or anything fishy.
Reaper
Leveling Tool, ReaEQ, Dragonfly Reverb, GClip, Ferric TDS, Unlimited
Just a touch of EQ and a tickle of compression

TheNeverScene wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:51 am 20 Instances of MSF. All sounds from scratch, no wavetables or anything fishy.
Reaper
Leveling Tool, ReaEQ, Dragonfly Reverb, GClip, Ferric TDS, Unlimited
Why is wavetables "anything" fishy? The title of this is One "Synth" Challenge. A "Synth" is a product of technology, but OSC is to some extent technology adverse when it comes to granular and wt technologies and OSC boils down to a One Song Challenge, i.e. a composition challenge losing the Synth in focus. If were talking about fishy then we should get rid of all DAW FX and heavily automation as well...I'm actually not asking who is using Rapid Composer, Chtullu pre fabricated MIDI or "anything fishy" in that category...
Don't get me wrong, but WT ain't no fish nor do they smell like that ;-)

] Peter:H [ wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:03 am ... OSC boils down to a One Song Challenge, i.e. a composition challenge losing the Synth in focus. If were talking about fishy then we should get rid of all DAW FX and heavily automation as well...I'm actually not asking who is using Rapid Composer, Chtullu pre fabricated MIDI or "anything fishy" in that category...
Don't get me wrong, but WT ain't no fish nor do they smell like that ;-)
:scared: I do have wondered about how people can produce well arranged songs in the short time of an osc. :roll:

ADDED 2 hours later. I'll have to wait for some years to accumulate templates for use in this contest.
Last edited by Saffran on Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hi, sorry if this has already been answered: despite thinking to avoid to use the MBeast I downloaded it because I had an idea for a track that I wanted to share, but 15 days trial has elapsed now and my project doesn't play anymore. Do we have the promised 1 month extension?

Just had a peek at Rapid Composer - anyone here tried it out? The "ideas" notion looks interesting, especially for those with composers block!! :-)

Not sure how well something from this can lead to a fully formed composition, but I can see it could lead to some different ideas/progressions.

Last bit of software I used was Noatikl from Intermorphic when I was interested in doing a "generative music" track. So, you an make OSC tracks from software, but quite how good it will be versus the skill of the musician is probably open to debate!

Cheers,

dB

PS Sometimes I will have a number of ideas for tracks stacked up, usually waiting for the right synth to come along!

Return to “Instruments”