One Synth Challenge #124: MSoundFactory by MeldaProduction (Schiing Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thank you MeldaProduction for making this happen. :tu:

Submissions:
https://soundcloud.com/kvrosc/sets/one- ... llenge-124

Welcome to the One Synth Challenge #124! It's a friendly music competition where you can win cool prizes but most importantly, meet amazing musicians, and learn a lot about mixing, sound design, and more! :)

Want a chat room with other OSCers? Join our slack here

Get ready: "MSoundFactory may well be the most powerful instrument out there. It's modular, so you can have any number of oscillators, filters, samplers etc. you want. It features per-voice and global modulation, full MPE support, the best sounding oscillators on the market, a fully modular effects engine... And we are just getting started "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiSjiY6cg4s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtIOvW-tvfc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-hepAsbHK8

Prizes:
(Would you like to be a sponsor / prize donor? Contact me via PM or go ahead and post your intended donation here! Get a cool mention on our donator wall of honor)

Special Note:
We are offering a secondary prize (on top of the normal prize): FXB Project, or JRR Shop (Uncle E)
Spotify: If you would like your winning track on spotify, please specify so as well, or you will be contacted by rghvdberg.

MeldaProduction : 1 License to MSoundFactory (3 total available)

KV331 Audio : Bundle of Synthmaster One + Synthmaster 2.x!

Wusik : 1 bundle of Wusik Station V9, Wusik 8008, Wusik SQ200 and Wusik P2000

SoundGym : 6 Month Subscription. (SoundGym is a
"technological, personalized and gamified audio learning environment")

Sonimus : Any one Plugin (This prize may be chosen no more than three times)

JRR Sounds: Any 1 soundset (This is a secondary prize, you may pick it as well as your main prize)

Synthmorph: Any 1 soundset

Audio Thing : Outer Space (vintage tape echo plugin)

NUSofting : 1 Copy of Modelonia v2 Synthesizer

JRR Shop : UVI: Digital Synsations (vintage 90's synth sample library and player)

Dmitry Sches : Tantra Multi-Effect + 3 Expansions

Dmitry Sches : Diversion

Touch The Universe Productions: LuSH-101 Cloud Layers soundset

The FXB Project by alvfaria : 1 commercial sound bank as an extra prize on top of the regular first prize. See the main site here

Guda Audio : Euterpe XL

Abstract Cats Music : AbiTron Bank for Synthmaster

satYatunes : One of any commercial product

Xenos Soundworks : Choice of any 1 product

Ghostwave Audio : Any two soundsets of Choice

Twolegs Toneworks : Any one soundset

The Unfinished : Any two soundsets of Choice

Rob Lee Music : A soundset for either: Sylenth1, Predator, Largo, Blofeld, PPGV3 or Dune. Unfortunately his main site is down, but if you still want these, let us know!

Luftrum : One soundset free of choice.

Kreativ Sound: RAW Bundle
(RAW Bass, RAW Drums, RAW TranSID, RAW Textures)

Aiyn Zahev Sounds: Any 2 Soundsets of choice from the website (Uplifting Trance Presets)

Studio 13.37: Pro audio studio on a USB stick

Pooya Payvar (Stonail) : 1 custom made Max for [Ableton] Live: controller, midi or audio effect

Mulperi : 1 Soundbank of Choice

Dream Audio Tools : 1 Indie Fingers bundle (Indie Fingers volumes One and Two)

Bjulin : Inspire soundset for Zebra²

LeapIntoTheVoid : Enchantment Of Absynth Trilogy

Bluff Munkey - 2 soundsets of choice

Solidtrax : 1 Soundset of choice

Any other offers of prizes will be greatly appreciated. :hail: :hail: :hail:

Questions? Comments? Concerns? You want some love? Just post here in this thread :)

Want to try out your skills in other contests / competitions /challenges?
  • DiHalt Demoscene competitions
  • Indaba - Has a mix of popular and indie artists with various contests like remixing and song writing. Some people from OSC have had success here.
  • Mix Challenge - Who can mix a song the best (Without adding extra recordings /musical additions)? Each person starts out with the same stems.
  • Mix Challenge: Song Writing Competition - A thematic monthly competition. Use recording, real instruments, synths and samples.
  • Skio Music Contests - Lots of remixes you can join (Mostly EDM) - big prizes.
  • Soundevotion (SDCOMPO) Competition - Even longer running than the OSC, the SDCOMPO is even more niche in that you must use a tracker, and set of specific effects. Great community.
Last edited by bjporter on Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:57 pm, edited 5 times in total.

BJ, question about the logistics of this contest.

Naturally, any FX that come within MSoundFactory are allowed to be used within MSoundFactory itself.

But what about those same FX as FX inserts? Are they allowed?

If not, is the FX limitations same as usual? Only free FX or those that come inside the DAW that you own?

wagtunes wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:14 pm BJ, question about the logistics of this contest.

Naturally, any FX that come within MSoundFactory are allowed to be used within MSoundFactory itself.

But what about those same FX as FX inserts? Are they allowed?

If not, is the FX limitations same as usual? Only free FX or those that come inside the DAW that you own?
Welcome back! Sorry to hear about your recent loss :(

Of course rules as usual, if the fx is used in the synth (which for this synth includes almost everything possible!) it is fine, but inserts appear after the synth output and should conform to the usual rules.

Wag? My goodness, that's been a while. I haven't heard about your loss, but my condolences, of course.

As for this synth...jeeez. Guess it's tutorial time, because at a quick first try I haven't managed to make envelope release work, haha, which is weird. Seems incredibly powerful, but not exactly instantly accessible. We shall see!
I find the whole style of the GUI and its unconventional approach a bit awkward at first. I don't know, how my journey into it will develop or how much time I will have to sacrifice for this one, but I am interested. First impression, though, is "distant", so to say.
Most certainly a stark contrast to Qyooo, hahaha! :hihi:
Anyway, clever move from them to let us have a go! 8-)

Welcome back Wags. Also condolences on your loss..... Would be good to have you back in the competition!

- ontrackp

Hey BJ and Richard -- as people with Melda will have access to their plugins (I guess?) can you make this a "commercial plugins allowed" month? I don't think it affects the results but makes production more fun. Thanks.

ontrackp wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:32 pm Hey BJ and Richard -- as people with Melda will have access to their plugins (I guess?) can you make this a "commercial plugins allowed" month? I don't think it affects the results but makes production more fun. Thanks.
The MSoundfactory includes nearly all of their plugins within the fx section of the synth itself, so everyone will have access to these. It really is a very comprehensive set!

Taron wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:17 pm Wag? My goodness, that's been a while. I haven't heard about your loss, but my condolences, of course.

As for this synth...jeeez. Guess it's tutorial time, because at a quick first try I haven't managed to make envelope release work, haha, which is weird. Seems incredibly powerful, but not exactly instantly accessible. We shall see!
I find the whole style of the GUI and its unconventional approach a bit awkward at first. I don't know, how my journey into it will develop or how much time I will have to sacrifice for this one, but I am interested. First impression, though, is "distant", so to say.
Most certainly a stark contrast to Qyooo, hahaha! :hihi:
Anyway, clever move from them to let us have a go! 8-)
Hi Taron. Good to see you. I thought maybe now would be a good time to return. My perspective on things has changed a lot, especially this past week.

As for MSF, as an owner of MPS, there's not a lot of difference. Just more complex. It took me a while but I feel comfortable with it now. Plus, I have spent the better part of the last year studying music production. I'm looking forward to seeing how I've progressed over that time.

I need to relax. Oddly, I think the OSC, going in with zero expectations, will help me do that.

Is it just me, or is the base sound of the synth a bit unexciting? Nothing like the immediate appeal of Surge or the intriguing weirdness of Qyoooooooo. I have a simple setup with a single oscillator and a filter, and it's all just a bit... average? Thin?

ilmai wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:51 pm Is it just me, or is the base sound of the synth a bit unexciting? Nothing like the immediate appeal of Surge or the intriguing weirdness of Qyoooooooo. I have a simple setup with a single oscillator and a filter, and it's all just a bit... average? Thin?
MSF is a very digital sounding synth. If you're looking for a fat analog sounding bass, not happening. It does great FM bass. You can help it along some with saturation and distortion but this has always been the character of Melda's synths. Personally, I like it but I understand it's not going to be everybody's cup of tea.

If we download and start the 15 day trial, will we be able to extend it to the month for the OSC? Or will we need to download it again sometime in the near future to get the 30 day trial? Also, can we make sure that the trial lasts up to the actual point of OSC deadline/closure? Many people go down to the wire, and having the synth time out 3 hours before submitting can be a PITA! [We have been here before …]

Cheers

dB

Right dB!
Moreover! This synth is many in one, OSC to MOS? Also I don't wish to download the Universal installer download with all Melda plugins!

https://sites.google.com/site/kvrosc/rules
*Commercial synth patches/soundbanks are not permitted*
Yes we did violated the same for Waverazor and others, but bj isn't that happening very often now? Not complaining, but asking whether OSC needs to go that way.

ah, melda.
a company so generous and with products of such high quality that I still support them despite how vehemently I disagree with them
quick, _ake what you want in life

ilmai wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:51 pm Is it just me, or is the base sound of the synth a bit unexciting? Nothing like the immediate appeal of Surge or the intriguing weirdness of Qyoooooooo. I have a simple setup with a single oscillator and a filter, and it's all just a bit... average? Thin?
Trust me, ones you learn how to use it, adding more oscillators, double tracking, stereo spread, upsampling and more it can sound as fat as you like. And don't judge by presets. :)

Re: insert FX: I don't think MSoundFactory takes audio in, so there's a grey area cleared up.

There's also the ever-asked question of samples and wavetables, etc. There are some features like harmonic analysis in the modal filter and additive oscillator that I think should be safe to use. Any disagreements on that?

This is currently the only commercial synth I've purchased, so it will be nice to dive into it this summer. If I can whip up some good devices I might share them here. The ability to limit your options to a single page is very nice in my opinion.

Finally, because I thought this was amusing...
as an owner of MPS, there's not a lot of difference.
There's another MPS besides MPowerSynth. And that one is VERY different.
mostly here for the One Synth Challenge
you can hear some of my newest music at: https://wrenharmonic.bandcamp.com/ or https://www.youtube.com/@wrenharmonic

Return to “Instruments”