NI Summer of sound has begun

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

macmuse wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:12 pm
Fleer wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:11 pm Thanks guys :tu:
My K12CE drive contains 630 GB of NI content.
It’s a 1TB drive but I only see that 630 GB partition. I’ll be using it as a backup.
Do you think we can safely add third party libraries to that drive or will we have to repartition and lose the NI content?
I’m on a Mac (Sierra).
As long as you just add folders to it (with your third-party libs) and don't repartition it, everything should be fine.
I don't think it is possible at all to "add 3rd party libraries to that drive", because free capacity is very small, just a few MB (I cannot remember the exact amount). The 200+ GB are not accessible.

I don't know if it is possible to get the extra capacity repartioning without re-formatting. I think it is possible, but I am not sure. But without repartioning, deleting the large files or re-formatting the driver can be used jut to reínstall the software.

My point exactly.
It’s a 1TB drive, and it comes standard with the 630 GB that constitute K12CE, so I would love to fill the remaining 370 GB with other stuff, but I don’t think this can be done without repartitioning, which would mean erasing the original 630 GB.

ahh, I missed the part about the extra space not being available. Then yes, you would have to reformat, but if you copied all its data to somewhere else, format the drive then copy the data back into a folder, then you could retain its original content plus add your own. But I'm sure you know that already.

Yes, cheers. I guess that’s the only way indeed.
First copy the original 630 GB to another drive, then reformat/repartition and put it back up. I just don’t know why NI makes it harder than necessary.

Not as straight forward as it should seem always. At least in one case before I even questioned using the NI for other purposes. I did actually copy it to a larger backup drive, and then later tried running it from there. It came back with a "Please install from original media" message.
But I'm more confident with just repartitioning and reformatting it than moving the "original files" back on to it.

I indeed dread how Native Access will react once the original files have been moved, even after putting them back.
And reformatting (before putting those files back) may surely trigger the “install from original media” message.

Fleer wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:32 pm My point exactly.
It’s a 1TB drive, and it comes standard with the 630 GB that constitute K12CE, so I would love to fill the remaining 370 GB with other stuff, but I don’t think this can be done without repartitioning, which would mean erasing the original 630 GB.
The harsh reality of drives, is that bad things are more likely to
happen as you start filling up the available space. Some guys
treat their drives like their garage, filled to the max, shelves, cabinets,
worbenches, tools and tool-hangers everywhere, while the car
sits decomposing in the driveay under the rain, snow, wind, and sun :dog:

It's not so bad if a drive is strictly a backup, that rides a shelf somewhere,
but for working drives, 2/3 full is a good number to stop at.
If you need a 2 terrabyte drive, buy the three or four instead.
Cheers

Good point, but I wouldn’t use it as a “working” drive, just as a “fill-it-once-and-leave-it” backup.

Damn. Time is almost up. Better grab my update after payday tomorrow, me thinks.

Last edited by Vortifex on Mon May 17, 2021 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

i've also used this current discount possibility (k12 update for 99). for me the interesting things were the new kontakt version, plus the 3 new kontakt instruments(play series) plus the battery kits in the expansions.

If I didn't have almost everything I want from NI this will have been tempting. Just like last year, my desire if not need for another product overruled.
If Noire Piano was in there, tho

With Absynth being abandoned this is my final Komplete update.

Kalamata Kid wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:59 pm With Absynth being abandoned this is my final Komplete update.
AKA AbsentSynth.

My upgrade offer to Komplete 12 is $99.50 However, when I go to order it, it shows up as $199.50. What the hell?

Return to “Instruments”